Romance Fiction posted December 7, 2014 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni leaves to rescue Midnight.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER DIEZ; PART DOS

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

A few hours later Soni called Tatiana. "I'm entering Pecos country."

"The Rockin'A doesn't reach that far."

"I know, but something's pushing me on."

"Be careful."

Soni entered the Glass Mountains. That must be Sierra Madera. She flew a little further North. That's strange. What's over by Panther Mesa? This is state owned property. Why would a corral be there? Maybe I can get a closer look. It's guarded. Why? If he's hurt, I'll kill them myself.

TODAY'S POST:

Soni took the shortest route home. At home, she ran inside. "Tatiana, where's Alex?"

"He hasn't returned from town. Why?"

"I found Midnight. I'm going after him. Pack some food. I'm taking Dad's horse."

"Wait for Alex!" Tatiana's hands were on her hips. "He shouldn't be much longer.

"I don't have time. He's tethered. Get the food ready. I'll be gone maybe four days. I'd better charge my phone." Soni plugged in her phone and then went to the gun cabinet. She removed her dad's .45 Long Colt. Dad would use this. She closed her eyes and took a long deep breath before she returned it to its spot and then touched the Heckler and Koch P2000. I'm better with this one. She fastened a holster around her hips and placed the gun in it, before she grabbed ammunition. I hope I don't need these.

After a stop in her room, where Soni grabbed two knives One she put inside her right boot and the other in a sheath and attached to her belt. Then she headed outside. Goliath followed with Butkus right beside him. Mack followed.

In the stables, Gus called to Soni, "You look like you're on a mission. How can I help?"

"I'm saddling Smoky."

Gus gulped. "Are you sure? He's a huge horse. There are plenty of others."

"I need a sturdy smart horse. I'm packing for four days. If thing's heat up, I know Smoky won't get spooked." Soni grabbed the horse's saddle. "I've found Midnight. He's corralled and tethered."

"That's illegal."

"Not really. It is inhumane, especially to a horse like Midnight. I'm bring him home."

"You'd better wait for help. Rustlers are a mean bunch. This ranch is full of cowboys who'd help. Maybe you need to call the law."

"He's my horse and my responsibility. I have three large dogs by my side." Soni finished saddling the horse. She attached a bedroll and saddle bags. "I'll be right back. Tatiana's getting food ready. I'm grabbing a rifle too."

Within a matter of minutes, Soni was packed and riding away from the ranch. Butkus walked along the left and Goliath on the right. Mack trotted beside Goliath.

*****
While Alex backed the pickup in front of the stable entry, Gus ran to him. "Soni rode off on Smoky. She found Midnight and she's gone to rescue him."

Tatiana hurried from the house. "Alex!" She went into his arms.

"I've already heard. Do we know where she's headed?"

"Best I can tell to the Glass Mountains over by Panther Mesa." Tatiana dried a tear. "She wouldn't wait for you."

"Of course not. She's stubborn like Ray and ornery like Kuruk." Alex removed his hat, brushed his hair back, and then replaced it. "That's way off our land. I hope Hughes doesn't find out. Who'd she take with her?"

"The three dogs." Gus pointed the direction Soni had ridden off in and then glanced at his watch. "She left almost an hour ago."

"She'll get pretty far by nightfall." Alex took a two-by-six from the truck bed.

"You'd better go after her." Tatiana studied her husband.

"If I do, she'll think I don't have any confidence in her."

"Which is better a hurt, or worse, dead Soni, or her being upset with you a few days?" Tatiana shook her finger at Alex. "She'll be over being angry. How will you feel is something happens to her?"

"Would I go after her if she was a man?" Alex shook his head. "No, I wouldn't. I'm not going now. She's the owner of this ranch and my boss. I trust her instinct."

"Gus, you got an extra horse?" Jim glared at Alex. "She's already angry with me. I'll go."

"Ay, Dios m�???�??�?�­o! We don't need an accident prone Gringo on a horse." Alex kicked the dirt.

Jim's eyes met Alex's. "I know how to ride. I'm capable of taking care of myself." He paused and then continued, "and Soni."

The tips of Alex's ears turned pink.

"I need a good horse, a bedroll, food, and the weapons you took from my SUV. I'm a good tracker. I can find and catch up with Soni." Jim glanced at his watch. "I can be ready in fifteen minutes." He headed toward the house, stopped, and faced Alex. "If you hadn't stolen my weapons, I probably wouldn't have gotten shot. I could've defended myself."








Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of a female riding a horse. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.