Romance Fiction posted November 30, 2014 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER DIEZ; PART UNO

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Soni turned and her eyes met Alex's. "Tomorrow I'd better take the helicopter and inspect the entire ranch. You want to go for a ride?"

Alex shook his head. "Gus and I plan to repair the stables."

"Do you need my help?" Soni asked.

"No. I think you need a Sunday afternoon stroll around the ranch. I agree with Kuruk. Something somewhere isn't right. I just don't know what."

TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER TEN

After church Sunday, Soni, Alex, and Tatiana prepared for the noon meal. They had moved Diego to a thick blanket beside the table. As they set the table, Gus and Jim entered talking with each other. "I think you're right, Jim. We can reuse the lumber Midnight didn't bust."

"Gus, join us. Tatiana always cooks way too much. As soon as we're finished, I'll go to town and get what we need."

"I don't mind if I do. Tatiana's the best cook this side of the Pecos. Jim and I made a list." Gus held it up as he took a seat beside Jim.

Alex passed the fried chicken to Gus. "You want to go with me? I might need some help loading the lumber."

"If you really think I'm needed, I will. I was going to get started. I could rebuild some of the stalls while you're gone."

"I know I only have one good arm, but I can still help," said Jim.

Soni accepted the mashed potatoes from Tatiana. "Alex, I can postpone my trip around the ranch until tomorrow and help."

"I don't want you doing that. I think it needs to be done." Alex paused, faced the front door, and grinned. "It sounds like Butkus has returned. Tatiana, do you have some towels handy?"

"Who's Butkus and what's making that racket?" Jim eyed the front door.

Gus walked to the door and chuckled. "You'll find out shortly. You can't miss him. Get ready for a bath."

"Holy Cow! What's that?" Jim's eyes widened.

Soni braced herself in the chair as the mastiff ran up to her. He came close to knocking her from the chair as he nuzzled in. "I'm happy you're home too." Soni hugged the gigantic dog's neck.

"That can't be a dog!" Jim glanced at Goliath, Mack, and then Diego. "Those are large dogs. What's this?"

Butkus shook his head and slobber spread across the table, the walls, and the people. "Jim, meet Butkus. He belonged to my dad. They were best friends. Butkus has been spending most of the time breeding. He's in high demand."

"You've got to be kidding. Who would want a dog they could ride?"

Alex shook his head. "We get $500 for his stud service and the pick of the litter."

"You mean there's more of him around this place?"

"They're out on the ranges guarding the livestock. They aren't very good herders. We use border collies and great Pyrenees for that." Soni reached over and petted Goliath. "Oh yea, German Shepherds. They're good at guarding and herding.

"I sure wouldn't want to cross one. How much does he weigh?"

Alex scanned the huge dog. "He looks a little skinny right now; probably around 220 pounds."

"And he lives in the house?" Jim watched Butkus make himself at home.

"He does. Let's finish eating and get busy." Alex glanced at his watched. "We're already getting a late start."

*****
Soni headed the helicopter southward. I don't know why but I need to turn. After switching directions, Soni lifted the walkie-talkie. "Tatiana, have any reports come from John or anyone who works with the Brahmans?"

"No, Soni. Things have been very quiet."

"Okay. I'm headed that direction. I should be there in about thirty minutes."

A few hours later Soni called Tatiana. "I'm entering Pecos country."

"The Rockin'A doesn't reach that far."

"I know, but something's pushing me on."

"Be careful."

Soni entered the Glass Mountains. That must be Sierra Madera. She flew a little further North. That's strange. What's over by Panther Mesa? This is state owned property. Why would a corral be there? Maybe I can get a closer look. It's guarded. Why? If he's hurt, I'll kill them myself.












Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of a mastiff. Maybe this is what Butkus looks like. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.