General Fiction posted November 24, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Short Story-Dialogue

Deterrents

by michaelcahill

















"Hi. Long time listener, first time caller". 
 
"Yeah, so what's the special tonight? You make egg foo young? I've got six people to feed. You have like a family special? … shut up! I'm tryin' to order here. I know there's just three of us. So what? Pass that over to me…."
 
"Hey, sounds like a party over there, is the Real Don Steele invited? Here at 93KHJ! All rock, all the time!"
 
"Naw, sorry man, unless you got some good product. Or, ya know, if you can sneak the food out to us … like ah ya know a public relationship kind of deal. Will you chill man? This dude wants to party with us. I'm tryin' to score some grub."
 
"The Real Don Steele doesn't sneak. You've called 93KHJ dude. I think you're too STONED to dial a phone! Okay, how about a little Dylan then…."
 
"Well they'll stone ya when you're drivin in your car…."
 
"Hey. That fool was ordering Chinese food. Aren't you screening these calls? What am I supposed to do with that fool? Pay attention. How about I fire your ass and you tell your wife and three kids you don't have a paycheck and can't get a job in radio for the rest of your damn…. Hey, hello. The Real Don Steele. 93KHJ, all rock all the time. This is Mary, Mary so contrary on the line. And how does your garden grow?"
 
"Well, I have carrots in it, but I think my mom bought them at the market and stuck 'em in the ground to fool me."
 
"Okay, great anecdote there, Mary. Have you always been this cutting edge and hip? What can we play for you tonight?"
 
"Could you play … uh … it's that one by the guy with the real high voice. You know … lightning striking and stuff. His voice is real low and then it's real high and stuff."
 
"For Mary, quite contrary and her carrot garden. Lou Christie, Lightnin' Strikes … again and again and again."
 
"Don. Don. You've got to see this."
 
"What. You didn't screen…."
 
"Forget that. Just look at this."
 
"Cut the record, put me back on. I'm on? Okay … Don Steele here at KHJ. I don't know how much longer I'll be on the air … The United States retaliated with nuclear strikes against Iraq moments ago. Warheads fired from positions at sea by Iraq have already struck targets here in America. China has also launched warheads and retaliatory strikes are in the air as I report this. New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles and Chicago are confirmed hit. I hear sirens all around me here in Burbank on the outskirts of L.A. I'm out of here. I have a family. Good luck everybody. The best of the Real Don Steele will be playing for as long as there's power. God bless us all."





 



Radio Talk Show writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write an entertaining talk show segment that begins "Hi. Long time listener, first time caller". This should be a dialogue between the caller and you, the talk show host. Topic is wide open. This can be a parody of current talk shows. For instance, after
"Hi. Long time listener, first time caller",
you could say, "Welcome aboard, Jodi from Iowa. Glad you called WHOA. I see you and your pet pig had a recent encounter with a UFO. What happened?"
Use your imagination and have some fun. Length is up to you. You can have more than one caller.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.