General Fiction posted November 21, 2014 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Plans to reach the cabin. An ancient church.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

A Cabin and a Cathedral

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, it was determined that the safest course of action would be to put Winslow and his family along with Florentina and Julia in hiding. Trellitia knew of a suitable house in the forest where homes once occupied stood abandoned. Valerius attempted to discover the true nature of Cicero and determine if he might be an ally of Leopold and thus another foe to consider. We continue now as Trellitia reveals details about the cabin in the forest and plans are made to get there safely without being seen.





~~~~~~~~The cabin in the forest
 

Long ago, but not terribly long ago, the forest near the property of Trellitia sang with the music of families growing and thriving. As the need for skilled artisans dwindled in favor of the more practical vocation of farming. The music slowly became more stilled every year. It reached a point where the widow Trellitia lived in the forest alone. The forest reclaimed most of the structures. A few still stood, most in disrepair and unsuitable for shelter. A man named Forvalford used his skills in construction to fashion a home built mostly of stone. Though he had left many years ago with his family, the home he had built still stood in a condition which at the very least would protect one from the weather.
 
The Forvalford home hid behind large trees and overgrowth making it invisible to one passing by on the road. The pathway leading to it existed only in the memory of those who had once trod its winding way. Trellitia could see it from the back of her property where she grew herbs and vegetables for potions and food.
 
"I know the perfect place. It is near my own home, secluded from the road and suitable for our purposes. For these three, who are young, I expect it will be an adventure." Trellitia had a ready answer to the direct inquiry of Abramus.
 
Abramus seemed pensive. "This is a bold move, I would say. It almost admits a rift of purpose between the church and ourselves. We hide our young for what reason? Are they possessed? Then what other purpose? What has happened to my former friend, Leopold? I fear for him. It is a course of madness he sets upon … and he embraces it with such fervor and conviction. It is sad to see."
 
Julia sat by her father with an arm about his shoulder. "There are many questions over many lifetimes that plague Leopold, Father. He seeks resolution and answers, that is all. He will not find them in this manner, he never will, not in this life, the next, or the next after that. It is the new manner of thinking he must find. That is what he should seek."
 
"I do not understand, daughter. It is a riddle to me. I don't doubt what you say, I simply don't understand it. You see? I am a simple man living a simple life. I grow food in the ground for my family to eat. I protect my family as best I can--with my life, if it need be so. Such is my world and life. I know of no life past, nor any life to come, lest it be one with the Lord. If there is a way to help my friend, I would wish to know it; for I fear I will soon have to choose my family's interests over his." Abramus looked weary.
 
"I know your heart is heavy, Father. I love you. I always have and always will. Whatever happens, that never changes. That is what is important." Julia kissed him on the forehead.
 
Trellitia stood. "I believe we should waste no time. Valerius is away and the house awaits. The sooner we make use of it the better. Is it agreed?"
 
"It is a blessing Trellitia will be nearby. I feel safe knowing she understands my son's condition." Winslow seemed more at ease than he had since arriving. "Perhaps we should leave immediately. The sooner my family is out of sight the less jeopardy we are all in. It concerns me that I have brought danger into your home." He gestured to Abramus.
 
"No, think nothing of it. We are a community standing with each other. When one is wronged, we are all wronged. What they would do to your Grenadier, they would do as quickly to my Julia or dear Florentina here. We must band together in this matter. It is not one son or one daughter; it is everyone's daughters and sons. You are correct though, I think time is of the essence. We should be set to the road quickly. I suggest you set out ahead, Cassius, to insure a clear path and warn of travelers on the road. We want to be unseen." Abramus found new energy as the plan began to manifest
 
Cassius rose to approach the door. "I shall set out immediately. I will lay low and report back to the group. I will not be detected. We can take cover in the woods until travelers pass by. We will not be observed. I will see to it." Cassius pushed through the door without another word.
 

~~~~~~~Cicero and Valerius approach the parish
 

The parish in the neighboring village proved even older and more ornate than the one Valerius attended. He looked to Cicero and smiled. "This is as beautiful a church as I've seen. It rivals the church in the big city and surpasses it in some ways. It appears ancient in origin."
 
"It is indeed ancient, my friend, in excess of four hundred years. Many needed repairs, of course, but the design and look of it much as it looked all those years ago. So near the beginnings of our faith, Valerius. It has a feel to it … a Holiness I can't describe. It lives and breathes with the Spirit." Cicero had a look about him new to what Valerius had seen before. He looked serene and peaceful. It was difficult to believe he could be in league with Leopold.
 
"The design is wholly Roman. Very impressive. I shall enjoy a tour after we tend to your friend, of course."
 
"Yes, I will be pleased to show you. I so hope you can help him. He so loves to conduct services here. He hasn't been himself though. Let us settle in and have a small meal and I will introduce you." Cicero smiled and nodded his head respectfully.
 
After a small meal, Valerius introduced himself to Father Travis.
 
"Father Travis, I am Valerius. I am a physician. Your friend, Father Cicero is worried about you and asked me to come and see if I could be of service to you." Valerius extended his hand.
 
Father Travis eyed Valerius as he sat on a bench in the garden. He neither acknowledged nor ignored him. "The jays of the forest prefer our garden to the drab offerings of their natural home. Wise, wouldn't you say?"
 
"Yes, given that bread crumbs are not plentiful in the forest I would imagine." Valerius let him have his pace.
 
Father Travis briefly touched the still extended hand of Valerius in an acknowledgement of his greeting, but not exactly a warm welcoming of it. "I am given to such observations of late. It is surmised that matters of a more complex nature escape me. What is your medical assessment of that hypothesis?"
 
"I might say you seem intent on proving them erroneous in their assessment. I take it you feel in good spirits vital of late?" Valerius studied Travis intently. He recalled Trellitia telling him of telltale signs of ill health, discoloration of the whites of the eyes, a protrusion of the throat chords in the front or back, a grayness in general to the skin, or a color other than pink or brown overall, all of these things were signs of ill health.
 
"I feel old. I am old. I feel looked upon as feeble and incapable. I am neither. How does one answer such allegations? If I were to allege that you looked weary after a long trip and unable to assess my condition and solicited others to back my claims, how would you answer me? Would you not look foolish if a host of villagers admonished you to rest while you claimed to be fresh with energy? Ahh … there is my plight, sir. You have already been told I am in need of help ... ha! and are here to help me. Yes! In fact, you have come a great distance with no other purpose than to extend your services to me. Is it even possible there is no need for you to be here in the first place?" Travis looked pleased with himself.
 
Interesting. He does not appear to be lacking in mental capacity. He is old, but shows no ailment uncommon to simple ageing. I might be pleased to age as well. "I would think it is indeed possible your friends are overly concerned. I understand you are beloved amongst your fellows and they care for you. On the other hand, it is a long ride to Constantinople and I am here with no other purpose than to see you. I think it would be wise to take advantage of your friends concern, don't you?" Valerius smiled pleasantly.
 
"Well … a good argument … uh … Doctor. I suppose if it would put their needling to rest ... then I best entertain their notions. You will tell them when you find nothing won't you? Surely they will cease their pestering when their own solicited doctor informs them they are concerned without cause."
 
"I will tell you and them nothing that isn't true. That is my word to you. Until tomorrow then?" Valerius extended his hand. This time it was shook heartily.
 
Valerius found himself alone near the forest on the outskirts of the church grounds. It had a familiar look. It was not far from his own village and this forest looked much like the forest he grew up in. It looked much like the forest where he walked with Julia. Where are you tonight, dear girl? All of these troubles interfere with our time together. Where is the world in which I hold you and nothing more? Have I known you forever? Will I know you forever more? My heart says it is so. If only my soul could fly to yours, right now. He felt a warmth come into him. It weakened his knees. Julia.
 
 
~~~~~~~Julia and the others set out for the cabin
 

Julia paused and looked at the forest for a moment. For once, everything around her became still. The shadows ceased their activities. The noise of voices ceased their endless talking. She looked and remembered being in the arms of Valerius and kissing him. She closed her eyes. Do you think of me ever, when I am not with you? Do you come back to this moment and wish it to last forever? I send myself to you, my love. If only I could do so. Tears filled her eyes as a feeling she had never felt before came over her. Valerius, oh my.



 



Recognized


Wonderful feedback. I listen to every word and take it to heart. I often get excellent ideas from your thoughts and comments. The encouragement has been so appreciated. I apologize for my terrible record in responding to reviews. I'm buried and try to keep up with reviews first. I swear I read every word and appreciate your input more than you could possibly know. Thank you so very much.


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-The priest from the nearby village that Valerius has been called upon to treat.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.