Supernatural Fiction posted November 30, 2014 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Berwick Witches Series: Book 1

A chapter in the book Dark Covenant

Witches' Brew

by amahra




Background
New Berwick, Illinois--a mystic place where witches rule under the watchful eyes of the Dominions.
River stood by the window long after Dex had pulled off, still wanting to kick himself for not making better of their meeting.

“Honey, what happened?" Jewel said, walking over to him. "Why did Dex run out like that?”

River reached out and held Jewel gently by her shoulders. “Baby, Dex is the least of our problems right now. Something we’ve always dreaded, a showdown with the Southern pack.”

“No. That can’t happen. You and Dex won’t be the only brother against brother. It would destroy whole families.”

“I know,” he said, sweeping a lock of her hair away from her cheek.

“What did he say when you told him about the spell?”

“I never got that far.”

“You didn’t tell him?  But, that could have solved everything. The packs wouldn’t dare strike each other once they knew about the spell."

He dropped his hands at his side. “You sound as if you already know what this is about.”

“I’ve known for days. Jan was awakened by Bret banging on the door that night. She overheard the whole thing. Then she phoned me.”

River stepped back and frowned at her. “You knew about Raymond killing that girl and never said a word to me?”

“I wanted to, but Jan felt this incident would force Dex to turn to you. She thought this dilemma would bring the two of you together, and I went along with it.”

“Jewel, we’ve never kept secrets from each other. How could you go along with this?"

“Honey, I know. It was killing me not to tell you. But the thought of you and your brother putting an end to this feuding…working together… and…I’m really sorry.”

“Well, you and Jan's little plan didn't work, did it?” He walked off.

“River, River!” Jewel blew out a hard sigh and watched River walk slowly up the stairs. Becca stuck her little head out from behind the bookcase. Jewel gasped. “Becca, what on earth are you doing there? Why aren't you upstairs with your sisters?”

“Are you and Daddy fighting?”

“No, Sweetie. Come here.”

Becca walked swiftly over to her and held her around the waist. Jewel bent and kissed her forehead. “Daddy’s just upset about something. It’s nothing. Everything is fine.”

***

Jewel allowed River a couple of hours to calm down. When she entered their bedroom, she found him resting on the king-size bed, looking up at the ceiling—his hands folded behind his head. “I know you’re angry. And you’re right. I shouldn’t have kept that from you—no matter how good my intentions were." River didn’t answer. “Talk to me, damn it.”

He sat up, swung his feet off the bed and scooted to the edge. “You’re right. You shouldn't have kept it from me. But I overreacted. I was upset with myself for not using that time to reconnect with Dex. Instead, what did I do? Piss him off more. I shouldn't have taken it out on you.”

“Oh, Sweetheart.” She walked over to him.

He looked away from her. “I’m the one who’s sorry—a sorry excuse for a brother.”

“Now, stop it.” She slid beside him and put her hand on his shoulder. “Dex is just as much at fault as you are. I’ve watched you over the years time after time reach out to your brother and all he ever did was tried to cut you off at the knees.” She pulled his face to hers and kissed him on the mouth. “It’s time the women took over,” she said.

“What do you mean?”

“I told Jan that I could keep the lid on this whole thing even if the truth about Raymond did get out.”

“You told her about the spell?”

“No. I told her that I guarantee that if she got Dex and Matt over here tonight, there would be no war.”

“Honey, are you sure about that?  You feel that strongly about the spell?”

“I do.”

***

Six o'clock that evening, Jewel sat nervously wondering if Dex would swallow his pride and come.  But she didn't have to wait long; Jan had made good on her promise. Jewel smiled when she saw the silver SUV drive up.  She greeted them at the door, then led them into the den. After everyone was seated, Jewel gestured to refreshments she had prepared. “Help yourself,” she urged.

“Thank you,” Jan said politely. She fixed two small plates and handed one to Dex, while Matt piled a plate of his own.

River poured bourbon. He brought the tray of drinks over to them and stood while the tray emptied—all but one. Jewel sat with her drink; after everyone had taken a few sips and appeared relaxed, she cleared her throat and spoke. “I’ve discovered a spell that can stop the infant killings.”

Ice stopped clinking in glasses. The sudden silence made the quiet ticking of the clock seem loud. Dex, Jan and Matt sat motionless like they didn’t quite believe what they had heard. River glanced over at Jewel and she glanced back at him.

“Did you hear what she just said?” River asked them.

“I heard," Jan said, "but I don’t quite know what to think. After years of living with this curse, can this be true?”

Jewel gestured to River. “Hand me the book."

He walked over to a mahogany table and lifted the heavy, thick book that he had to carry with both hands and placed it on her lap.

Jewel rested her hands on the book and spoke directly to Dex. “I can get rid of the moon curse, but I can’t repair the damage between our two families—that’s for you and River to figure out.”

No one moved or spoke.

Jewel sat back with a stern look on her face and folded her arms. "I can wait."

“Dex,” Jan said, her eyes pleading with him.

Dex hesitated, but stood. River got up and took small steps over to him. They shook hands, but River’s eyes filled and he pulled Dex to him and hugged him tight. Dex slowly raised his arms and gave him a quick squeeze, then slowly pulled away and flopped back down on the sofa. Jan patted his arm and Matt beamed a smile as wide as his face.

Satisfied, Jewel leaned forward and opened the book to a page she had tagged. “This book is called a Grimoire—an ancient text book of spells. It’s used all over the world by those who practice magic. They differ from culture to culture, depending on what kind of magic that’s preferred.”

Matt nodded to the book. “That book holds every single spell?"

“Yes. Except, this one is kind of rare,” she said, patting the human skin cover.

Dex looked bewildered. “You mean to say there is really something in that book that can undo the curse?”

“Not all of it; just part of it,” she said.
 
“If it doesn’t undo all of it, Aunt Jewel, then what good is the spell?”

“We know werewolves can turn at will any time except when there’s a full moon? I haven’t found anything that can undo the spell itself. But I can stop the turning during a full moon.”

“I can live with that," Dex said excited. "That means we'll have total control."

“How does it work Aunt Jewel?”

“Let me say this first," River interjected, "Jewel is taking an awful risk by doing this. She could be exiled from the Mystic Circle, or worst, she could have her magic taken permanently.”

“It’s this book,” Jewel said, touching it like it was something to be frightened of. ”It contains spells that require the summoning of the dead and human sacrifice. These kinds of spells are forbidden to Coven witches like me. Just having this book in my possession could get me charged with Necromancy. The penalty is, like River said, being stripped of my magic; but in ancient times, it meant death.”

“To our knowledge,” River said, “modern covens don’t believe in the death penalty.”

Then Dex spoke up. “If this spell keeps us from having to chain ourselves down like animals—we’ll keep your secret.”

Jewel released a faint sigh at Dex's words. “Thank you Dex. Now, I discovered what was used in the 200 year old spell. It was something in the meat pie served at the wedding to your male ancestors. The pie consisted of wolf meat, the flesh of a young village boy, a mystic herb, which name I can’t pronounce, and the blood of the witch who cast the spell.”

“Oh dear goddess! You’d have to kill a child?” Jan blurted, looking around for a similar reaction. But she found everyone, except River, staring at Jewel, as if hypnotized by what she’d said.

Seeing the look on their faces, Jewel said quickly, “I’m not a monster. That’s why I’m throwing this out to you. If…If it’s too much for you to handle—I’ll understand and... I’ll forget the whole thing.”

“We don't think you're a monster,” Dex said.  He looked at Jan and Matthew to give Jewel reassurance that they didn’t think that as well. Jan and Matthew nodded quickly in agreement.

“If we let you do this, we’ll all be monsters and yet, the idea of not turning every full moon…” Matthew cut off, shaking his head as if he desired that more than anything.

Jewel smoothed her hand over pages of the book. “But, that’s just it. We don’t have to kill the child to make this work—not really. If the child dies with the saliva from a werewolf bite in his system, he’ll come back to life.”

“But he’ll be a werewolf!” Jan snapped.

“Well…I didn’t say the spell was perfect," Jewel said innocently.

Matthew stood and smacked his knee. “I don't care—I say we do it!”

“Not so fast, Matt. One of us is going to have to keep an eye out for this kid as he grows up. He won’t know he’s a werewolf. Everyone around him would be in danger.”

Everyone but Jewel looked at each other. Then after a short pause, Matthew said…“All right, I’ll be responsible.”

Dex reached across Jan's lap and touched Matt's knee. “Really, Matt, you’ll do that?”

“Why not?  I mean--the kid won’t know it, but he’ll be giving up his normal life to save ours. I think it’s the least I can do.”

Jewel pushed the heavy book aside onto the sofa. “Then—it’s settled. All we need now is the kid. But who?” she said, laying a finger on the side of her face.
 
River and the rest engaged themselves in deep thought as well. Minutes ticked by.

Finally, Matt said… “If I’m going to be responsible for this kid, then I get to choose him.”  He pondered, then said, “He’s got to be someone strong, but not a bully...he’s got to be smart, no juvenile delinquent; someone...someone from a close and loving family.  He has to be outgoing, pleasant and gets along with everyone."

Everyone appeared to be racking their brains, when Matt snapped his fingers. ”I've got it, the Sooner kid.”

“The Sooner kid?” River asked.

“That’s right…the little Sooner boy…Russell Sooner,” Jewel said grinning. “I think they call him Rusty. He’ll be perfect.”

River's eyes swept their faces. “Does everyone agree?”

“Is he really all those things?” Jan asked.

"He's in Dria's class," Jewel remembered. "All the kids like him. I think Dria even had a little crush on him at one time."

“Then, I guess it's settled," Jan said. "Little Russell Sooner it is.” 
 
Dex stood up. “I believe this calls for a celebration.”

The room buzzed in agreement. River poured more drinks and brought the tray of half-filled glasses over to them. The glasses went up in the air—Dex worded a toast and the sound of clinking filled the room—but before the bourbon touched anyone’s lips, Jan said, “Wait! Who’s going to kidnap and bite this kid?”

They lowered their glasses and gazed at Matt. 




 



Recognized


Sorry for not posting in weeks. Ran into some problems with my editor of new book, "The Glass Cat Eye" that's due December 15. Hope you enjoy the chapter.

New Berwick, Illinois is comprised of four regions: Falcon Haven, Northern and Southern Greyscott Falls, Sheerfield City and Ironforge.

Main Characters

Northern Greyscott Falls:

River Porter....... Main Character
Jewel Porter....... River's wife
Their daughters....Chelsea, Abby, Dria, and Becca

Southern Greyscott Falls:

Dex Porter.........River's brother
Matthew (Matt) Porter... Dex's son
Jan Porter ....Dex's wife and Jewel's cousin/sister-in-law


Falcon Haven:

Beatrice ....... Jewel's best friend
Kayla Morrison.. Beatrice's granddaughter

Sheerfield City:

Wayne Tilbert....... Sheriff of Sheerfield City
Rose Tilbert....... Wayne's wife
Veronica (Ronnie) Tilbert...Wayne daughter/Kayla's BFF
Christopher (Chris) Tilbert.........Wayne and Rose's son
Christa......................Veronica and Kayla's BFF
Bob Wilson..................Sheerfield City Coroner

Ironforge:

Corina Brewer...............Sorcerer
Hollie Brewer...............Corina's sister/Sorcerer
Gunner Lenox................Sorcerer
Amber Moore.................Sorcerer

Supporting Cast

New Berwick residents


Art Work: Her Eyes by Diane Azdamar at dianae.cgsociety.org
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.