Romance Fiction posted November 9, 2014 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni finds trouble at home.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER OCHO; PART CINCO

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

They walked until they came to the area where the trailer had sat. Soni brushed aside loose hair from a braid. "I took the hook-up bracket. People don't usually carry extras."

"Look over here." Jim shined his light to a dirt and grassy area. "These tracks weren't made by that old pickup. They're fresh."

Soni knelt and touched the tracks. "You're right. These were made by a dualie." She stood. "We were right. They were up to no good. But what?"


TODAY'S POST:

Soni stood and searched the area before she paused and listened. "I'm needed at home." She ran to the Range Rover. Both large white dogs followed alongside. "Are you coming?" she called over her shoulder.

"Yes. I didn't expect you to take off so fast." Jim caught up with her. "You could've warned me."

Soni yanked open the vehicle door. "Don't have time."

Both dogs jumped in before Soni got behind the steering wheel and started the engine. "Hurry!"

As Jim shut the door, the Range Rover moved. "What's this all about?"

"I don't know, but my gut says there's trouble." Dust trailed behind the speeding vehicle.

*****
The ranch house came into view. "That's strange. Why are the stable lights on? Alex never parks his pickup in the driveway."

Leaving the vehicle door open, Soni ran into the stables.

Alex glanced at Soni. "Diego's been stabbed. I doubt he'll make it. Midnight's missing. Gus was attacked from behind. He's got a nasty lump on the back of his head."

Soni knelt over the large German Shepherd, placed her hand on his neck, and said, "Diego's lost a lot of blood. Has Doc Hanson been called?"

"He's on his way. He said don't move the dog." Alex continued applying pressure to the knife wound.

Still petting Diego, Soni scanned the area. "Midnight put up a fight. Have you called Sheriff Boyd?"

Alex nodded. "He's also on his way."

With a bag of ice held to his head with one hand, Gus held up a syringe. "It looks like they tried to drug your horse."

"It's the only way he'd go." Soni pecked Diego on the top of his head between his ears.

Jim took the syringe from Gus and held it up to the light. "Half the dose is still here. The horse must've pulled the needle out. How could he do that?"

"That stallion's capable of doing all sorts of things." Gus sat on a bale of hay.

Soni glared at Jim. "You wouldn't know anything about this, would you?"

"What motive would I have for kidnapping your horse and stabbing one of your dogs?"

"Soni," warned Alex.

Jim turned his head. "I hope those headlights mean the vet's here. Diego won't last much longer. I'll see who it is." He left the stables.

"They're in here." Jim led Dr. Hanson to the wounded animal.

The veterinarian knelt and opened his bag. "This doesn't look good." He patted Soni's hand. "How's that foal you helped give birth to?"

"Amigo's doing great." Soni bit her bottom lip as she watched the Doc examine Diego.

Tatiana entered and touched Soni's shoulder. "Why don't we wait in the house?" She paused. "Gus, you should come too. I bet you need a new ice pack."

"Gus, go ahead. I'm staying." Soni petted Diego's neck.

*****
After a thorough examination, Dr. Hanson looked at Soni. "The wound's deep and the dog's lost a lot of blood. I doubt he'll make it through the night. I can give him something to make him comfortable."

Soni swallowed. "It seems the knife missed his main organs. You can stitch the wound and give him antibiotics for infection. Diego's strong and healthy. Alex, get something so we can safely move him into the house. We'll put him on the table. The doc'll need a clean space for the surgery."

"I'll do what I can. You understand it doesn't look good, don't you?" Dr. Hanson petted Diego. "I have some anesthesia but not a lot. I hope it's enough.

Tears welled in Soni's eyes as she nodded.






Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of a German Shepherd that just might look like Diego. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.