General Fiction posted October 26, 2014 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cortez meets his maker

A chapter in the book Wilderness Encounter

Chapter 10

by Catherin Elizabet Belle

 It is a long arduous journey for them, especially for the horses as there is no real trail for them to follow back down the mountain. There are boulders to navigate around, as well as downed trees and scrub brush to get through. Finally, toward evening, they come out into a clearing where Liam’s home sits.

Connie is amazed by what she sees in front of her; a very nice log cabin in good shape. Over to the side of the cabin, a large pile of firewood, two fair size green houses and a wind mill slowly turning in the evening breeze, as well as a barn that would be perfect for the horses.
She also notices that the windows and doors have steel shutters on them and are bolted shut.

The first thing Liam does is unlock and open the barn for her turning on the lights. He explains that the wind mill is actually a wind generator that runs the lights for the barn as well as the lights, sprinklers, and heating system for the green houses. It also generates electricity for the house. 

 As Connie takes the horses into the barn, unloading them she gives each one a good feeding and brushing.    Liam proceeds to the house beginning the process of unlocking and opening it.  Once Connie finishes with the horses, moves toward the cabin. She is completely taken aback when she walks into the house; she expected as Liam was male the house would be sparse and unkempt, instead she finds a home. The furnishings are of rustic design, large overstuffed furniture, nicely decorated, spacious, and a homey feeling to it. The walls are decorated with wilderness painting, some from renowned artist. There is a fieldstone fireplace burning brightly and hurricane lanterns throughout lighting the house. The only thing that seems out of place is one wall where there is a bank of computers and monitors. Over in the kitchen is a large, old fashion wood stove where Liam is standing cooking. She stands in amazement her mouth hanging open.

Liam turns looking at her and chuckles, “Your mouth always seems to be gaping open.” With a low chuckle, “Dinner will be ready in about half an hour Connie. So close your mouth and either look around or take a seat and relax.”

Connie snaps out of it, closes her mouth looks around. Touching the furniture, looking closely at the painting she is just amazed at what she sees.  “Liam, I never imagined your place would be so nice. It’s beautiful and nothing like I thought it would be.”

“I like my comfort Connie and I like to keep a clean home. I’ve got everything I need here. The wind and sun supply me with the power I need to run things, with a backup generator which will run the whole place if need be. The fireplace keeps the place warm and I do my cooking on the woodstove, so I’m happy. Besides living by myself, I don’t entertain and no one bothers me. The fact is, you are the first person I’ve ever invited here.”

“I’m honored Liam, but why here and not my place?”

“Two reasons Connie. First off we don’t want to take the chance of anyone finding or knowing about your place; and second off, you’re far safer here where I can better protector you than at your place.”

“How is that Liam?”

“That bank of computers and monitors over on the wall Connie. No one, or anything can get within a mile of my place without me knowing it. I’ve got sensors placed all around the place and if anything comes within range, it triggers the sensors and lets me know so I can check it out and take what actions are needed. So far the only thing that has triggered the sensors has been the animals that live around here; but that’s soon to change so we’ll have to be on our toes.”

“What do you mean Liam?” There is a sound of concern in her voice as she asks the question.

“The team that’s coming here to help us out Connie. I know them and how they operate. They will probably be here tonight. They’ll come through the woods to check things out before they let us know they’re here. That’s how they operate, and when they show up unannounced, you and I will have a surprise or two set up for them. We will have a little fun on top of it.”

“Liam, how do you know it will be them and not someone else?”

“Easy Connie, anyone who is on these teams has a tracker implanted in them. That way, they know where each one is and those in charge can keep tract of them while their on a mission and send help if need be.  And it just so happens that I know the frequencies of the trackers.

“But if you can track them Liam, Can’t they track you as well?’    
                                  
“No Connie, just before they retired me, they took the tracker out. But I’ve kept in touch and sometimes they call me.” Liam had a far off look in his eyes as a shutter passes through his body. Then he looks at her smiling he continues his work at the stove.

Quantico Virginia, Marine Corp Base

Deep in the sprawling complex of land that makes up the base of Quantico, located in an isolated area of the base stood the building of the Office of Special Assessments. A sprawling two story building surrounded by arrays of antennas, satellite dishes, high fences topped with barbed wire, and guards 24/7. The building itself is unique--- No windows, and only one door in or out of the building which is also manned by guards at all times. The only signs that are posted in and around the building read,” NO TRESSPASSING. USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED.”   

Those who work there are sworn to secrecy and never speak of their job or the location of the building. Those few, who had stumbled upon the building, are detained, questioned, warned, and released. They are also advised never to speak of the place under penalty of jail or worse. The only ones who know of this building or even the existence of this organization is the President and the Commandant of the Marine Corps. No one else is authorized, especially those in the political arena of Washington D.C. Where they couldn’t keep their mouths shut and keeping a secret is impossible.
     
Once King Pin finishes his conversation with Liam, he contacts his team telling then they have a mission. The three others are now all gathered in the briefing room kidding around with each other waiting to be briefed when King Pin walks in. His look is serious; as he approaches the front of the room he stands there looking at them. “First things first,” he states. “Which of you is responsible for the brawl at the bar off base last night which sent four people to the hospital and got the bar closed down by the police?”

Hound Dog and Bam-Bam look at each other, grin and then busts out laughing. At the same time Bo Peep slowly stands sheepishly looking up at him.

“That would be me Sir, sorry. They were drunks who started grabbing at me, then one of them smacked me on my butt and I lost it. Sorry Sir.”

Hound Dog and Bam-Bam start snickering again, and then lost it as she glares at them. King Pin stares at her as well for a moment and then chuckles. Finally he regains his composure clearing his throat. Upon doing that, his team gets quiet looking to him.

“Bo-peep, you are restricted to base for the next six months, except for missions, and you ARE NOT EVER to go to any more bars that are inhabited by rednecks or jarheads; and if you do go to any bars once you are off restriction you will keep that butt of yours out of harm’s way. Do we understand each other?”

“Yes Sir, sorry Sir,” then she sits back down glaring once again at the other two who are still snickering.   

“Alright, now that that’s out of the way, we have a mission,” states King Pin. The room went quiet, everyone listening with a keen interest.

“We have an excellent chance to bring Cortez, the Snake out of hiding and on our terms for once. As of now we have a line on Pebbles, the witness and she’s agreed to help us.” On the large screen behind him, Connie’s picture shows up. This is the last known picture of her. Now we are also bringing Jammer with us; he will be with me.”

Hound Dog speaks up. “Sir, Jammer has never been on a field mission. May I ask why we are bringing him?”

“Good question Hound Dog, and the answer is twofold. First off, we suspect there is a rat in the FBI’s soup and we’ll be using him to bring the Snake out. As you know, there have been three attempts on Pebbles life. Cortez does not tolerate failure and if he keeps with his track record, he’ll show up personally to make sure the jobs done right this time. With Jammer, we’ll be able to intercept any and all phone communications between the rat and Cortez before and during the mission. Jammer already has his name and has things set up to monitor the rat. This way we can deal with Cortez and him at the same time.”

“Sir, two questions, first are we to capture and detain or otherwise; and the second question is, why can’t Jammer work from here like he always does and communicate with us via satellite,” asks Bo- Peep.

“Our mission this time is to eliminate Cortez and all that are with him. As for why the Jammer is coming with us this time. We need him because of the location as we don’t know what we will be running into.” A different picture shows up on the screen behind him; a high definition satellite view of a clearing with a cabin in the center of it with smoke coming out of the chimney, a barn to one side and two green houses.

“As for your second question, we are heading to the mountains of New Mexico. The cabin you are looking at belongs to one of our own who is guarding Pebbles as we speak. We will chopper in ten miles northeast of the cabin. Make our way there and do recon before we make our presents known.  The danger lies in doing the recon in the area, because the cabin belongs to VIPER and he will be on guard full time. We are taking Jammer with us to locate any sensors that happens to be along the way. When we arrive be sharp and be on your toes, Viper will be waiting for us but where, we won’t know. Now get your gear together, and whatever else you think you need. Our flight takes off in two hours. We’ll be landing at SOCOM, (Southern Command), at Cannon New Mexico. Your information packages are in front of you with pictures and topographical maps of the area; and never forget we will moving into Vipers territory.  If you hear something out of place, or he calls to you, just raise your arms, don’t move letting him come to you. Now move it people.”   
       
“Sir, what happens if we don’t freeze and just react as we would to any threat,” asks Jammer.

“Then Jammer you will be dead.” Jammers face went blank, but his eyes showed pure fear as he watches them head out the door.  Then hurrying to catch up he gathers the supplies he needs.

The flight to New Mexico is uneventful. Each member of the team reviewing their information packages and the maps of the area; if someone has a question they ask and it is answered. Beyond that, they sleep as much as they can on the flight. 
  
The C-130 lands at Cannon AFB in the early hours of the morning. It taxies to the remote area at the far end of the runway coming to a stop. The only other aircraft visible is one of the team’s specialized Black Hawk helicopters designed for stealth and speed with a marvel in electronic gear. Once the C-130 touches down, the Black Hawk begins revving its engine ready to take off as soon as they are on board.  
  
Once stopped, the back end of the C-130 drops down and the five passengers disembark heading for the chopper. The only other person who is in site or has any idea of their mission is the commander of SOCOM. But his knowledge is limited to only what he needs to know. As the team walks toward the waiting chopper, he salutes holding that position till they’re all aboard the Black Hawk. The only one that acknowledges the General is King Pin, who turns, salutes back, nods his head climbing on board.

The General has known and worked with these teams for years, and he always makes it a habit of being there when they take off as a sign of respect and honor for them. It does not matter what time it is, he never misses seeing them off. He also knows the hazards of their mission, and more times than not; not all return alive.  He stands watching as they lift off disappearing into the night; pulls out his phone making one call. All he says is, “their airborne,” and hangs up. He says a silent prayer for them as he gets into his vehicle heading home.

Once they are air born, King Pin dons a headset talking with the pilot giving him directions that will take them northeast of the cabin; giving him the coordinates to the location of the drop.

The pilot acknowledges with a nod. He has flown these teams before quickly finding out he does not want to know more; it is safer not to ask questions. The pilot flies in total darkness with no running lights and no flight plan. He uses his on-board radar and Infer red headset to see where he is going; flying through valleys and between mountain ranges, keeping clear of the few towns and ranches on the flight path.

Unaware the chopper activated one of the sensors planted to keep an eye on the area signaling Viper back at the cabin who wakes with a start when his computer beeps at him. Going immediately to check the monitor on his computer which is automatically running an analysis on the signal it received from the sensor.  As the data appears on the screen Viper sees the invader is a helicopter, type unknown, flying in a northerly direction. 
                  
Liam is ninety percent sure who it is; everything he knows about the team and how they operate indicates that it’s them and they are on the move to his location. But there’s that last ten percent probability that it might not be them and trouble is on its way. Either way he knows he has to check it out. If it is the team, he’ll track and watch; otherwise, he’d deal with the threat in his own way.    

The drop zone is a small clearing three miles north of the proposed drop, not big enough for the helicopter to land in, but big enough for it to hover above and let the team repel down. Once they're on the ground King Pin signals the chopper pilot, all is well. With that the pilot increases power vanishing into the night.

King Pin looks around at his team who are in defense positions around the perimeter. As always he is pleased with what he sees calling them in.  “Alright team, remember, we are heading into Viper’s territory; he’s as deadly and quiet as they come. He also has severe PTSD, which makes him even deadlier. We are all targets till he knows it’s us, be on your toes. Remember, if you hear anything out of place or see something that does not strike you as normal, freeze where you are and don’t move. Let him contact you and do exactly as he says. Jammer, how far does your equipment go out?”

“One hundred yards Sir, full coverage in all directions. I have our trackers logged in so we will know where each of us is at any given time.”

“Good, Hound Dog, you take point, twenty five yards out, Jammer and I will be next, Bam-Bam, you’re next, tens yards behind us, and Bo-peep will cover our tails. No more than ten yards behind Bam-Bam, Bo-peep, and remember, he is as silent as they come, so you will probably be the first contact, if he decides to contact us, any questions?”

There were no questions, so King Pin gives the signal for the team to move out. Each one pulls their night vision goggles down giving the surrounding terrain a surreal appearance. 

     As they move off into the trees each on full alert and making their way toward the cabin, one thing occurs to each of them. Being oblivious to the sensor triggered by the helicopter each one wonders what Viper will think about them showing up unannounced.
 
BACK AT THE CABIN

Liam activates all his systems seeing that there are five personal tracker signals instead of the four he expected. “So,” he thought to himself, “they brought another member of the team with them. I wonder who the hell that is.”  Through his years with the team, he had acquired a lot of knowledge; looking at the clock on the wall he smiles. One of the Intel satellites will be passing overhead in about five minutes and this one has an inferred ability that can see in darkness. Liam punches the codes in on his keyboard watching the monitor. The terrain below the satellite comes on line and Liam directs the camera to where he wants it. As the satellite comes into range, five images appear on the monitor. They are spaced apart and moving quickly but very cautious. He knows by the way they move, it is his old team and as he expected they are early. But one thing bothers him, who was the fifth person? Quickly he changes clothes and is putting on his web harness when Connie walks out of the bedroom gasping when she sees him. He is now dressed entirely in black and armed to the teeth.

“What’s going on Liam?”

Liam looks at her seeing the scared look in her eyes, and knows he has to get her busy before she starts to panic. “Good, you’re awake Connie. We have some visitors coming our way. I have good reason to believe it’s my old team, but I want to make sure and I’m going to need your help.”

With that, Liam walks over to the wall next to the kitchen, pushing on one of the panels. As it opens, Connie sees that it is full of various kinds of weapons; reaching in he pulls out M89 sniper rifle, picks up a 20 round loaded magazine, puts it into the rifle, and chambers a round. Next he picks up a second magazine placing it in his web vest. The last thing he picks up is the silencer for the rifle screwing it into place. With that he turns to her. “Alright Connie, here’s what I need you to do for me. I need you to monitor the computers for me while I’m out in the woods. Here’s a headset for you so that we can stay in contact with each other; I’ll also be telling you what I need you to do from here.”

He then proceeds to show her what is what on the screens, as well as what buttons to push when he advises her it is time. She nods in understanding and says she will do what he ask when he asks. Then she puts her headset on and sits down at the monitors. As she looks at them, the only monitor that is active is one that shows five different signals, spaced apart and moving in a line towards their location. The second monitor shows all five, plus one more; he explained to her that sixth blip is him so she would know right where he is at any given time. 

“Is that them, Liam?”

“Yes, I believe so, but that is why I’m going out there to make sure. As I told you Connie, nothing is going to happen to you. So set back and enjoy the show.”  With that, Liam turn and walks out the door into the darkness.

Half an hour later, Liam calls her. “Connie, you there?”

“I’m here Liam, they are still moving toward us.”

“Alright Connie, turn the outer sensors from active to passive and listen. Then turn off the second line of sensors leaving them off till I tell you to turn them back on. I’m in position now and watching, if they’re the good guys we’ll have some fun with them.”

“What if there the bad guys Liam?”

He could hear the strain in her voice.  “Then Connie, you will have nothing to worry about and they will never be heard from again.”

Liam takes his position setting up. He knows that if it is his old team, they will be wearing inferred headsets to see anything in the area, as well as having motion detectors. So he has to become invisible yet still be able to observe each of one.

Connie comes on line. “Liam, I’ve got you on the monitor and the other five are almost to your location.” Connie hears a double click which means he acknowledges her.

Liam freezes as he hears the first one coming up the hill. Watching, he sees that they move quickly and quietly always scanning the area on alert. He also knows it is his team as the first one passes, he instinctively know it’s Hound Dog. As he watches the rest of the team go by, he smiles slightly and chuckles quietly to himself. He still has it, they didn’t spot or hear him; and he now knows the fifth person is Jammer. Bringing up the rear is Bo-peep; Liam waits till she is out of site.  “Connie, they are the good guys, so it’s time for some fun. Are you all ready?”

“Ready here Liam, just say the word.”

Once again she hear the double click waits. As Connie watches listening, she hears them walk past the first sensors and advises Liam that they have passed the first line. He then advises her to wait five minutes and turn all the sensors passive. Time seems to drag as she watches the clock and the monitors, at exactly the five minute mark she hit the buttons.

Out in the woods, three fourths of a mile from the house, Jammer freezes in his tracks speaking one word “freeze”. Everyone freezes in place.  “We have sensors going off behind us and in front of us. Someone just activated them; they know right where we are.”

King Pin came on line. “Alright team, close up and be ready. Viper knows we’re here and is probably watching us as we speak. Remember; don’t make any threating actions or moves toward him whatever you do. Stay alert just in case it’s not him.”  Slowly they move together.

“Liam, something else just showed up on the sensors. I now have seven signals, six moving, and one stationary. The seventh signal is in between you and right in line with the last person on the team. I have no idea what it is, but it’s about one hundred yards north at this time.”   

Liam moves quickly and quietly till he has Bo-peep’s back in sight. He lifts his rifle looking around the area through his IR scope. Seeing nothing on the ground posing a threat to her, he pauses in thought for a moment then scans the trees around her. There he finds the extra blip, a large mountain cougar perched on a tree limb almost directly above Bo-peep. Looking at its intended pray and getting ready to pounce the minute she passes under its perch, Liam has no time to give Bo-peep a warning but fires two quick shots, hitting his target. The cougar screams once in outrage and pain, falling out of the tree three feet from Bo-peep.

When Bo-peep hears the scream, she crouches, her finger on the trigger of her rifle scanning the area. When the cougar hits the ground next to her, she jumps away from it. Crouched there looking at the cat shivers run down her spine.  She hadn’t heard it, nor seen it; without a doubt it would have been too late for her and she knew it. Slowly she stands up moving toward the now dead cougar, her finger never leaving the trigger. Poking it with the end of her rifle convinced it is truly dead, she kneels next to it for a closer look. Two holes, close together and a small blood pool shows where the rounds entered the heart. She heard no shots but instinctively knows who killed the mountain cat. Slowly she rises with the barrel of her rifle pointing to the ground scanning the area. Nothing shows through her night goggles, but she doesn’t expect to see anything. Viper, she thinks to herself, will only show himself when he is ready and not a moment before. Slowly she raises her hand and waves, not knowing where he is, but knowing that he is watching. Then she turns moving out to meet up with the team.

Liam watches her till she is out of his sight then waiting a few more minutes to be sure he walks out to the dead cougar. He estimates that it weighs around 140 lbs., male in good shape.  Something is wrong, normally a cat this size stays clear of people but for some reason it hadn’t; and paid for it with its life. I’ll come back later to skin it, but for right now I need to has his old team to track. 

“Liam,” Connie calls. “The seventh signal is no longer showing movement; it just faded from the screen. Are you alright?”

“All good here Connie. A male cougar decided to try and have Bo-peep for dinner. I had to take it out to save her. Where’s the team now?”

They’re about six hundred yards in front of you and it looks like they are coming together. The fifth signal is moving towards them at this moment.”

Liam starts moving toward them, carefully and quietly. He knows Bo-peep will advise the rest they are being tracked.

King Pin waits for the team to gather, finally Bo-peep shows up. He looks at her with annoyance “what took her so long?”

 She glares at him for a moment then answers, “We’re being tracked by Viper. I just had a cougar try to make a meal out of me and Viper took it out. Dam thing hit the ground three feet from me, dead. It was up a tree that we all walked under and not one knew it was there. I checked it out; it had two holes both heart shots.”

“Did you see or hear where the shots came from,” asks King Pin.

“No! I scanned the area, but there was nothing and no one showing. So I waved and headed here. Viper is tracking us and probably watching us right now.”

King Pin nods looking at Hound Dog. “Do you think you can find him Hound Dog?”

“Only if he wants to be found King Pin, and right now, I do not even want to think about it. I’ve tried to track him before in our exercises and every time he’s turned the tables on me.”

“OK, we know we’re being tracked. Keep together; your rifles down. He’ll show himself when he’s ready. Let’s go people.”

Slowly they make their way toward the cabin; arriving at the edge of the clearing where the cabin sits they hold their positions and wait.

Liam watches as they spread out and began to scope the area. This is what he is waiting for. He signals Connie to do as prearranged. 

Without warning, flood lights come on lighting the entire area around the cabin. Their night vision goggles now useless, the team takes them off watching the area toward the front of the house and to the sides. The next thing they see is a young woman come out and stand on the front porch, looking directly in their direction. They yelling at the top of her voice Connie intones, “KING PIN, KING PIN, VIPER SAYS GET YOUR ASSES IN HERE. COFFEE IS READY AND STEAKS ARE WAITING. AUTHENACTION, FOXTROT UNIFORM, FOXTROT UNIFORM,”

Then she stands there watching five forms materialize out of the thick inky woods. Some seem to rise up materializing from the ground and some from behind trees, making their way toward her, slowly and cautiously.

Finally they are very near the porch when Connie speaks,“Hello, I’m Pebbles. Viper will be with us momentary and we thank you for coming.”

Hound Dog responds, “May we ask where Viper is?”

Connie looks over their heads smiling says, “He’s right there.”

 The team turns around and sees Viper fifty feet behind them, rifle cradled in his arms, smiling, as he makes his way toward them.

King Pin just shakes his head walking up to him. “Alright you SOB, how did you know we were here?”

Liam chuckles. “Your chopper triggered one of my sensors.”

King Pin says not a word for a few seconds and then reaches out and grabs him in a bear hug, laughing the whole time. Within seconds the rest of the team, save Bo-peep are all on him talking up a storm and pounding him on the back. 

Finally Bo-peep muscles her way in, stands in front of Liam, grabs him by the ears, pulling him down gives him a big kiss, then lets him go. “That is for saving my butt back there.” She then proceeds to punch him in the stomach as hard as she can, “and that’s for shooting me in the butt four times you asshole.”

Connie stands there watching as the rest of the team break out into major fits of laughter, as Liam, doubles over, and trying to catch his breath laughing at the same time. She wonders what that is all about, especially him shooting Bo-peep in the butt. At the same time, deep inside of her, she feels the twinge of jealousy go through her when he is being kiss by another woman.  Finally the team calms down but continues to rib Viper about Bo-peep finally getting him back. Viper is finally able to stand up straight and as he looks at Connie, he sees that she is standing there with her hands on her hips, glaring at him.

“WHAT, is that all about, if I may ask, and why did you shoot her in the butt?”

Everyone goes quiet for a moment, and then busts out laughing again telling Viper that he is dead meat now and giving him no mercy with their jabs and comments.

Finally King Pin speaks up. “Ms. Pebbles, during field exercises we use paint guns to shoot our adversaries. It would seem and is a fact that Bo-Peep backside makes a very desirable target. Liam here is the only one she has never been able to get back, until now. But knowing Viper and the rest of the team here, if the opportunity presented itself again to nail Bo-Peep backside again, they would not hesitate. It does make a very desirable target.”

Bo-peep states. “I give you fair warning right here and now. The next one of you who shoots my butt will suffer for it in a major way, and that’s a promise.”

The team starts to snicker again, but freeze when they see the look that Bo-peep is giving them, as well as Pebbles glaring at them at the same time.

“Oh God, we’re dead meat now, there’s two of them to contend with,” states Hound Dog in no uncertain terms.

“And WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT,” ask Connie as she glares at him. Hound Dog seems to whither under her look says nothing.

Bo-peep walks up to Connie and introduces herself. “Hello Pebbles, my name is Bo-peep and I can see that you and I are going to get along splendidly. Especially in dealing with these Cretans, don’t you think?”      
    
“I completely agree with you Bo- Peep. Now would you care to come inside with me for coffee and breakfast, or do you think your flock here will be lost without you?”  Pebbles asks with a wicked grin on her face.

Bo-peep turns looking at the four men and only says, “BAAAA”, turning she follows Pebbles inside as they roar with laughter.

The four men stand there flabbergasted. No one has ever referred to them as sheep nor glared at them as Pebbles had and gotten away with it. Finally King Pin speaks,  “Hound Dog, I think you’re right. Now we got two of them to deal with and unless I miss my guess, we just got slammed hard by both; and they didn’t lay a finger on us.” 

They all look at Viper as he shrugs his shoulders. “Don’t look at me. I’ve had to put up with them a lot longer than any of you have.” With that they go inside.

The rest of the day, they eat, rest and make plans. Hound Dog, Bam-Bam, and King Pin scout out the surrounding land, looking for the best places for them to set up giving them the best areas for kill zones.

Jammer sits with Viper at his computer control center learning what he has to work with in order to help out as best he can. Pebbles and Bo-peep stay together, learning about each other as well as Bo-peep telling what she expects and requires of Pebbles when the time comes. Pebbles takes Bo-peep up into the mountains showing her the cave and explains what Viper thinks will be best for her when the time comes. Bo-peep comments, “The place is perfect, quiet, secluded, and easy to defend if necessary.

That night, after everything is set and in place, they sit, eating, and trading war stories, mostly to embarrass Viper in front of Pebbles with his exploits. Viper takes it all in stride but throws it right back at them; all having a good time. Finally they call it a night and hit the sack, except for Viper. He never sleeps the night before a mission, and now all his skills, knowledge, anxieties, and fears come flooding back to the forefront. Memories long forgotten come back as well. Some cause him to shutter, but overall he smiles and looking forward to the hunt.
Putting on his gear he moves into the night.

Viper returns early the next morning and is in the process of tacking the cougar’s hide to the barn when King Pin and Bo-peep approach.     

“Is that the bastard that wanted to make a meal of me?”

“That’s the one Bo-peep, and when I’m done with it, I’ll be sending it to you and the team as a reminder to keep a watch above you as well as around you at all times,” Viper replies.

“We’re getting ready to have a meeting to set things up Viper. We figure you probably have a plan in mind already; we’d like to hear it so we can discuss its pros and cons. Besides, we have to find someplace for Pebbles to be safe, “King Pin states.

Viper turns smiling at them as he chuckles and without another word heads for the house.

Both Bo-peep and King Pin look at each other wondering what he is up to; then follows him into the house. Once inside they gather in the living room waiting for Viper to start. 
   
He stands there for a few moments, looking at the team then begins, “First off we know that Cortez never travels alone. So we can pretty well be sure that he will have somewhere between four or more men with him when he arrives. My guess is on the high side, probably at least eight people, all armed. We know for a fact that he always travels in armored SUV’s, bullet proof glass and armored plating on and in the vehicle. So you’ll have to use armor piercing rounds. When he gets here, his men will come out shooting and hose anything in site. That’s including the rat that I hope to lure up here as well. Bo-peep and Pebbles will be at a safe location well away from here when the time comes. Bo-peep, you and the horses will go with Pebbles to the location up in the mountains where everything has been made ready for you. Under no circumstances is either of you to return here till we make contact with you giving the all clear. If you have any questions Bo-peep, Pebbles will fill you in on where you’re going and what you’ll find there. Any questions Bo-peep?”

Bo-peep shakes her head in the negative.

“OK then, Bam-Bam we’re going to need clay mores, and remote control mines set up along with anything else you can think of. Also how long will it take you to get set up?”

“Give me twenty minutes and I’ll be ready to dance,” grins Bam-Bam.

“Now Hound Dog and King Pin, I’ve got sniper locations set up for you unless you’ve already picked out places for yourselves. Jammer, you’ll be with me. I’ve got an alternate location set up with back-up computer systems like we have in here for you. You’ve locked into his phone and computer system so we can monitor the suspected rat?”

“Even as we speak Viper. All his system are being monitored and recorded, also my systems let me know where he is at any given time.”

Viper nods his head looking at the team. They are the best at what they do, trained killers, keeping this country safe.  Looking directly at Connie with a hard stare, “Now for the hard part, Pebbles are you willing and ready to follow this through completely without question, or do you want to call it off?”

Connie looks around the room at the faces watching her; no judgment or feelings shows in their countenance as she looks at them. A shudder runs through her as she realizes that everything is up to her. Either continue on in a life of fear or assign a death sentence to those who have hunted her trying to kill her three times already. She takes a deep breath staring into Vipers eyes, “Let’s finish this. I’m tired of running and being afraid.” Her hands shaking as she gives the okay.

 Bo-Peep reaches over hugging her saying, “We are all proud of you.”

As Viper smiles at her his face turns to cold, hard, and emotionless granite.  “Jammer, you ready?

Jammer reaches down beside him pulls out his laptop opening it up.  “Ready Viper.”

Viper reaches into his pocket pulls out a burner phone handing it to Pebbles. “Alright Pebbles, now it’s up to you. Make the call, but don’t give him your location right away. Sound scared and unsure; let him think he’s getting it out of you and make it good.”

Connie laughs. “That will be easy, I’m scared as shit.” As she dials the number the team listens in as Connie talks to Agent Eckhart for about fifteen minutes playing her part to the hilt. Finally she gives in giving him her location.  He advises her to keep the phone on and handy and telling her he will be there as soon he hangs up.   

Viper looks over to Jammer, “Got the trace and the exact coordinates. “Wait one, he’s making a call. I’ve got the number and am recording. I’ll put it on speaker so we can hear them.”

They all sat quietly as the phone rings. Finally it’s answered.

“Si.”
“Cortez please.”

“Uno memento.”

The team waits as they sit on the edge of their seats listing.

“Si.”

“Cortez, its Eckhart. I found her and she’s still alive.”

“Where is the PUNTA BITCH? I will personally take care of her this time and make her beg before I kill her.”

I’ll send you her location. She’s in New Mexico, north of Albuquerque in an isolated location and alone. You will be able to deal with her with no problems.”

“No! This time you will meet me at my airfield and you will go with me,” Cortez demands in a firm voice.

“I can’t get involved in this Cortez. There is too much at stake. We can’t be seen together.”

“Listen Gringo, you are involved and you will be there tomorrow or I will kill you and your family.”

With that, the phone went dead. Eckhart stares blindly at the phone, but inside, he is afraid. He knows Cortez would do exactly as he said. He puts the phone down and starts making arrangements.

Back in New Mexico, the team just looks at each other and smiles. Connie is shaking up a storm while Bo-Peep is holding her hands.  Viper nods his head as he walks over to his computer console, flips some switches and checks his monitors turning back to the team. 

“Alright, we know their on their way and we know what we have to do. Jammer, I’ve got all my sensors on and they are now under your control. Once we…..”

Jammer interrupts.  “Wait one, we got an incoming call.” 

Then the phone that Connie used to call the agent begins to ring. Everyone freezes in place and looking at the noisy instrument. Viper picks it up handing it to Connie, saying, “Answer it.”

Slowly Connie reaches out, taking the phone and in a scared, weak voice answers, “Hello.”

“Connie, its Agent Eckhart. My team and I will be there tomorrow to pick you up and take you to a secure place where you will be safe and under guard full time. Stay right where you are and don’t leave, I’LL see you tomorrow.” 

Then the phone goes dead. Connie sits there, looking at the phone shaking badly. Po-Peep reaches over and takes the phone from her giving it to Viper. Then she puts arms around Connie and holds her; Connie breaks down tears streaming down her face.  Viper looks at the rest of the team who are very uncomfortable siting and waiting. “Alright, we all know what we have to do so let’s get set up; get some rest and food in us. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day and hopefully very productive for us.”

Walking over to Connie he gently places his hand on her shoulder, “everything will be alright; you will be safe.”

 Turning a Bo-peep.  “As soon as the two of you are ready, head for the cave. Everything is set up for the two of you and Pebbles knows the way. Remember; do not under any circumstances come back here till you hear from one of us. That way we will all know that the two of you are safe.”  He gives them a slight smile, “Jammer, let’s go. It’s time to set up. The team follows.

 An hour later, Pebbles and Po-peep are ready to go. The horses are packed and the team has gathered around them to wish them good-bye. Connie looks at each one of them noticing there are no expressions showing on their faces and no signs of emotions on any of them.

She walks over to each one of them giving each one a hug and a kiss on the cheek saying, “Thank you.”  Then adds, “If any one of you gets hurt in any way, I will personally kick your butts.”
Walking over to Viper putting her arms around him she gives him a long kiss. They hold each other until Viper clears his throat telling her, “You better get going while it’s still light."

Connie backs away from him with tears in her eyes saying not a word the two women mount Diablo and Paddy riding into the trees.  The rest of the day, the team spends setting up; then the waiting begins.

They are restless that night getting very little sleep. Jammer is set up in the alternate location, tracking the agent via his Cell-phone as he makes his way cross country; he uses one of their spy satellites to watch an area one hundred miles in all directions.

Finally Jammer notifies the team that the agent has landed making his way to a small airfield just north of Albuquerque. Watching via the satellite, he sees that there are three black SUV’s and thirteen people standing around, waiting. Shortly a Lear jet lands and bringing Cortez to the rendezvous; he signals everyone to load up.

Jammer watches as the agent and Cortez argue; soon he pulls a gun pointing it at the agent. With the gun pointing at him the agent turns getting into one of the SUV’s with Cortez right behind him the caravan moves off down the road.

Jammer notifies the team they are on the way and what they are diving. Everything is now set. Viper’s team has been set up since sunrise. Four of them, King Pin, Hound Dog, Bam-Bam, and Viper have been in there sniper locations waiting for what seems like hours. Their fields of vision cover the entire front and sides of his home; everything is covered for a crossfire effect which no one can escape. They each have a 50 Cal. Sniper rifle loaded with armor piercing ammo and incendiary rounds, as well as their personal weapons of choice. Jammer is in the underground bunker Viper built for his backup computers keeping the team advised as things progresses.  Now, they wait.

An hour and a half later, Jammer comes on line telling them they are five miles out closing fast. Viper does a com status check with each team member and all is ready.  Finally the three SUV’s come racing down the driveway pulling side by side in front of the house and stops.  Ten men ran out of the two SUV’s spanning the sides and front of the house, each armed with an M-16 or AK-47; they wait. Cortez and the FBI Agent step out of their vehicle.

As Cortez nods all twelve men begin firing; shooting up the house and all that is inside of it not hesitating one second till they run out of ammo; reloading they wait their weapons still pointing at the house.

It is at this point that Viper gives the go ahead. Bam-Bam set off four claymore mines, each one with 700 steel ball bearings set up so they will criss cross each other making a very effective kill zone. As they detonate 2800 ball bearings shred anything that is in their path; seven of the ten are killed outright and the other three badly wounded.

Cortez screams jumping back into the SUV yelling at the driver to get him the hell out of there. Agent Eckhart jumps in as well slamming the door shut he curls up on the floor. Cortez starts screaming at Eckhart “You bastard! You set me up I’m going to kill you.”

 Then without warning, King Pin fires at the driver. The 50 Cal. round goes right through the driver’s side window hitting the driver in the head, causing it to explode covering the inside of the vehicle with blood and other matter. The three remaining wounded gunmen are trying to get to the other vehicles while shooting at everything and anything. Hound Dog and Viper dispatch them with no problems. Cortez and Eckhart are trying to get to another vehicle, shooting as they go when Bam-Bam sets off a mine under the vehicle the two are trying to get to; the explosion sends the two of them flying through the air slamming them back into the vehicle they just left.  All at once quiet stills the air; the only sound is the crackling of the burning vehicles.

As the agent slowly makes his way to his feet holding up his FBI badge he yells “I’m with the FBI; cease firing.” He stands there looking around as he continue to yell that he’s with the FBI. However, he doesn’t see Cortez rise pointing his pistol right at his head. Just as Cortez pulls the trigger killing Eckhart Hound Dog fires taking Cortez’s hand off at the wrist, with the pistol still in the grip of the severed hand. Cortez screams and keeps screaming as he falls to his knees next to the vehicle holding the bloody stump where his hand use to be.

King Pin, Bam-Bam, Hound Dog, and Viper slowly make their way to his location. Bam-Bam and Hound Dog checks the bodies as they move through the carnage. If there is even the slightest sign of life in any of them, they put bullet in their head moving on. 

Finally they all stand around Cortez, looking down at him, as he cries, screams, and laughs, vowing vengeance as he declares they are good as dead. Laughing again he says, “I’ll soon be free; kill each one of your and their families and there is nothing you can about it.”  His screaming and cussing gets louder and more vehement.

With the riotous caterwauling King Pin looks over at Viper saying, “It’s your call.”
When Viper nods pulling out his pistol pointing it at Cortez head, he finally realizes that the ones around him are not DEA or FBI and are not there to arrest him; He starts screaming about his money and power and how can give them anything they want. It takes only seconds till Viper pulls the trigger.

The team stands there looking around at the carnage when Viper says, “Damn, how the hell and I going to clean up this mess?”

King Pin smiles, “Not a problem Viper, the General sends his compliments.” Then he pulls out his phone punching in a number. “This is King Pin, all actions completed and we need a cleanup; three vehicles, thirteen KIA [Killed in Action], all parties unhurt.” Pausing to listen, “Yes Sir, Yes Sir, I am sure he would like that very much; and he sends his regards. Thank you Sire.” With that Kin Pin closes the phone turning to Viper, “There’s a cleanup crew on their way. They will take care of this mess as well as fix your place for you. The General says tell you, “Thank you.”

Viper stands among the carnage not knowing what to say; then unexpectedly he breaks down in sobs as he grabs and hugs each one of his old team members.
 
 
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Catherin Elizabet Belle All rights reserved.
Catherin Elizabet Belle has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.