General Fiction posted October 22, 2014 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Amanda asks Jesus to come into her heart.

A chapter in the book The Summer of 1978

Amanda' decision

by lynglyng

The next week on the farm was so much fun without Mom's watchful eye on me every second. It was also good because Uncle Bob and Aunt Laura had revival at their church. I loved to go to church with them.

There was a special, clean feeling I got the moment we walked into the little white church. I had chill bumps come over me and I believed it was the Holy Spirit that I felt.

The evangelist got up to speak and he explained the plan of salvation. I got a tugging on my heart that made me feel like I needed to ask Jesus to forgive me of my sins and ask Him to be my Lord and Savior. I tapped on Aunt Laura's arm and she bent over for me to whisper in her ear, "I want to go ask Jesus to come live in my heart. Will you go with me?" She smiled that loving smile and took my hand. We walked down the aisle together to where the preacher was standing at the altar. I told him what I told Aunt Laura. He asked me if I understood what sin is. I explained as best I could in my eight year old way that it was when you did something against Gods' Holy Word. The rules he wants us to follow in His Holy Bible. The preacher led me in the sinners prayer.

On the way home from church, Aunt Laura and Uncle Bob couldn't stop talking about how proud they were of me for making the most important decision I would ever make and that was the decision to follow Christ Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Uncle Bob said, I am going to get out the ice cream churn It's time for another celebration.

Uncle Bob only got out the ice cream churn for very special occasions. Usually when we arrived on the farm he would make ice cream. Then on the Fourth of July and on Labor Day. So, I knew this was extra special to him that he would go to the trouble of making the ice cream.

Katie, Kenny and me ran around in the yard doing cartwheels and playing tag. The air was still very warm even though the sun had been gone down for a few hours now. I went to sit on the porch with Aunt Laura in the swing. She put her arm around me and told me how proud she was that I had accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.

"You are a very special little girl, Amanda. I believe that God has His hand on you. He gave you a very special talent to sing. He means for you to use it for His glory." Aunt Laura was so kind to me. She always made me feel like I could do anything or be anybody that I wanted to be. I wished in my heart that she were my mother instead of the one I had.

"Amanda, wait come inside with me for a minute." Aunt Laura told me. So, I followed her into her bedroom. She opened a drawer in her dresser and pulled out a little wooden box. Opening it she got out a little white new testament. "My mother gave this to me when I got saved. I want you to have it."

I was so excited. I gave her a hug and thanked her. My eyes got all misty. It meant a lot to me that she would think so much of me to give me something she had cherished for so many years. I knew at that moment that I, too would cherish this new testament for years to come.

I went straight to the room I shared with Katie in the summer and put it in my nightstand that I used while visiting. I read that Bible every night before I went to sleep from that night on.

One morning I woke up early and heard Uncle Bob going out the back screen door. "Uncle Bob, wait. Where are you going so early?"
"I go to the pond every morning to pray and ask God to direct my steps throughout the day. I read my Bible and spend time being quiet so I can hear him speak to me."

"Can I come with you?" I asked Uncle Bob.

"Well, I would love to have you come with me, but it is a special time I like to spend alone with God. If you come along you will have to be very quiet. Do you think you can be very quiet?

"Yes, sir. I can be very, very quiet." I promised.

"Well, Okay." Uncle Bob said.

"Wait a few minutes, I need to go upstairs and get my New Testament."

I ran upstairs and got my New Testament and met Uncle Bob outside.
We walked through the woods and to the bench in front of the pond.
Uncle Bob prayed out loud. Then he opened his Bible and began to read silently. I opened mine and began to read. Then he closed his Bible and closed his eyes. After a long while he opened them and said he was ready to head back to the house for breakfast.

When we got back to the house Aunt Laura already had our plates fixed and waiting for us on the table.
Katie and Kenny were still asleep. We said the blessing and began to eat.

Aunt Laura said that she was going to talk to the pastor and see if I could sing one night during revival. "Would you stand up and sing in church, Amanda? God gave you that beautiful voice to use for His glory."
"Yes, ma'am. I will sing in front of people. I want to use my voice for God's glory."

Alright then, I will call him later today and see if they can schedule you one night to sing.

I have to go to town to get some fabric to make you and Katie some new dresses. Why don't you come with me shopping. Katie and Kenny can stay and help your Uncle Bob with chores on the farm today.

"Yes, ma'am. Sounds real good to me." I said with a big smile on my face.

"Well, go upstairs and put on some good clothes. We'll leave after I clean up the kitchen."

I was so happy. It had been one of the best weeks of my life. No walking on eggshells wondering if I was gonna upset Mom and throw her into one of her fits. It was just as it should be when you were a kid. Fun and easy. I dreaded the day she would come back and my happy world would be once again a prison of sorts. But, I wasn't going to let my thoughts of Mom ruin my good shopping day with Aunt Laura.

I put on my best pink shorts and a white t-shirt that had a purple and pink heart in the middle. I brushed my hair into a pony tail and put a pink bow in it. Then, I went back downstairs to wait for Aunt Laura. By then, Katie and Kenny were up and eating breakfast.

"How come Amanda gets to go shopping and I have to stay here?" Katie asked in a whiny tone.

Because, you get to go shopping with me anytime and Amanda only gets to go when she is here in the summer. I will take you and Kenny next time. You Daddy needs you to help with the chores.

"Oh, okay. But, will you get me some of that chocolate that I like from Mr Robinson's store?" Katie begged.

"Yes, I will get you and Kenny some." Aunt Laura promised.

Then, we said good-bye and headed out to the car. Aunt Laura had a long Cadillac. I got in the front seat beside her and she started backing down the long driveway. I think maybe she could have turned around and drove front ways better. But, I was just a kid and what did I know, really.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. We drove into town and she took me to the hair dresser and had my hair cut. Then we went to this little hamburger joint and she got me a cheeseburger and a vanilla milkshake. After we ate we walked across the street to the fabric shop. She let me pick out three fabrics that I liked for my dresses and they didn't have to match Katie. Then, we started back to the farm.

"Amanda, I know that your mama put those switch marks on your legs the other day. I don't plan on letting her do that to you or to Kenny anymore. Your mother has problems. Problems that a little girl your age can't understand. I took you with me to go shopping today because I think you are old enough to understand what I am about to tell you. Your mother has depression and mental problems. That means that she has really bad moods that she cannot control. I think she takes her bad moods out on you a lot. She loves you, she just doesn't know how to let you know and she doesn't know how to vent her bad moods without taking her anger out on others." Aunt Laura stopped, like maybe she had said too much.

"How are you going to stop her from hitting me?" I asked Aunt Laura.

"Your daddy didn't take her back to Greenville. He took her to a mental hospital in Columbia, South Carolina. She will have to see a doctor there and get help for her depression. When they have her medication under control then she can come home again. But, Your daddy wants me and your Uncle Bob to have temporary custody of you and Kenny until we see how well your mother's treatments help.

"Does that mean we get to stay on the farm even when school starts? I asked super excited.

"Well, I am not sure how long all this is going to take. So, let's cross that bridge when we get to it."

"I love you, Aunt Laura."

"I love you my sweet Amanda."




Sometimes blessings come from trials we go through.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lynglyng All rights reserved.
lynglyng has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.