General Fiction posted October 18, 2014 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Because...

A chapter in the book BLAZE: Angel from Hell

Illegal Wedding

by Phyllis Stewart




Background
Lucifer wants to stop Tara from marrying Gary, so he possesssed the body of a corrupt, murdering senator.
Father Murphy scanned the crowd. “If there is anyone here who can give cause why this couple should not be united in marriage, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.”

“Me!” Lucifer waved his hands. “I can tell you.” He got up and ran down the aisle, pushing the priest out of his way.

Tara glowered at him, whispering, “Luke, this isn’t going to work. You’ll just make a fool of yourself.”


He met her eyes and whispered back, “Not when they hear what I have to say. Your lover boy might even end up in jail.” He turned to face the guests. “Garfield here won’t be marrying Tara today, or any day, so you people can all go home now.”

Gary grabbed his shoulders and spun Lucifer to face him. “What the heck are you talking about?”

“The law, Garfool… the law.”

Tara rolled her eyes. “We have the license and all the paperwork is in order, so would you please stop this nonsense?”

He scowled at her. “Fuck the paperwork, Ginger. If you marry this asshole, he’s going right to jail.”

The buzz of shocked whispers floated through the pews.

“Why?” asked Tara.

“Because it’s illegal for him to marry you.”

“Okay, I’ll play. Why is it illegal?”

Lucifer puffed out his chest. “As you all know, I am a United States senator. I came here directly from Washington, D.C., where a new law was just passed in today’s session.”

Soft murmurs filled the church.

“Congress has decided that, even though gays may now marry each other, we will draw the line at this kind of union.” He sneered at Gary. “So, if you go through with this illegal marriage, you will spend your honeymoon in jail, awaiting trial.”

Gary squinted at him with a scowl. “What on Earth are you talking about? I know things are changing, but surely there can’t be a law against a man marrying a woman.”

Tara nodded in agreement.

Lucifer glared at Gary with disgust. “Of course not, you idiot. The new law makes it illegal for a human to marry a demon.”

Murmuring from the guests grew much louder.

“And don’t pretend you didn’t know, Garfucker.” Lucifer pointed to Tara. “This creature is not Tara at all, but a demon from Hell who has possessed her body. The real Tara is dead, thanks to Ginger. That’s the demon’s real name, and she once was Lucifer’s chief agent. She’s an evil one, for sure.” He winked at Tara, whispering, “And I love it, babe.”

Tara slapped his face.

Lucifer turned to the guests. “Did you see that? The demon just attacked a U.S. senator. I suppose she’ll be in jail soon, too. If any jail can hold an evil spirit.”

Sharp comments and questions arose from the assembly, such as, “I don’t believe I actually voted for this nut case.”

Father Murphy had let Lucifer rant and watched the reaction of the assembly. He raised his thumb, a guard nodded, and four policemen rushed into the church.

“See?” said Lucifer with a smirk. “Here they are already. Maybe they’ll put you two in adjoining cells for your wedding night.” He bent over, slapping his knee and stamping his foot, letting his satanical laughter flow unrestrained.

Two officers grabbed him, one on each arm. Another cuffed his hands behind his back.

The other looked him in the eye. “Sorry, Senator, but this is for your own good. It appears that the stress of your job has taken its toll. We have to take you to County Psychiatric Hospital, where you can get help.

On the way out, Lucifer shouted threats and obscenities. Halfway down the aisle, he screamed, “You don’t understand. Ginger belongs to me! She’s not free to marry anyone. She belongs to me, damn it. Forever!” He kicked every officer he could reach.

One cuffed his feet together, another duct-taped his mouth, and they dragged him out of the church.

As the doors slammed shut, Father Murphy looked over the assembled guests with a sorrowful face, waiting for them to settle. “I know how it looks, but let’s give the poor soul the benefit of the doubt. Stress can damage a healthy mind and cause people to do bizarre things. He probably will not even remember what he did here, once he gets some much needed rest and therapy. Let us pray that Senator Blake gets well soon. He bowed his head for a few moments of silence, and the guests followed suit.

The priest then turned to Tara and Gary with a twinkle in his eye, trying hard to keep a straight face. “Now, where were we?”


He wasted no time finishing the ceremony, and soon Father Murphy said the words Tara and Gary had been longing to hear. “I now pronounce you husband and wife.” He smiled at Gary. “You may kiss your bride.”

“Gladly,” he said with a grin, as he took Tara into his arms.

The organist began to play, and the smiling newlyweds marched down the aisle and out into the sunshine to begin their life together.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Phyllis Stewart All rights reserved.
Phyllis Stewart has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.