War and History Fiction posted October 14, 2014 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Colton's routine turns violent.

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

The Routine

by Rinshikai


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Colton Arverni is an auxiliary soldier in service to the Empire. When an aspiring new commander jeopardizes the northern frontier, Colton's life is changed forever.

Colton

How long has it been? Six months, a year? God's, I can even remember anymore. The red lantern district may have been a cesspool. But at least something was always happening. I'd take a brawl, a drunken race, or even a brothel fire. Here, it's always the same thing every day. From here to the outer wall, field hands bob their heads like fleas on a dog's back, only to disappear in the brush, and a snake of wagons eats its own tail on the road below. I slump on a crate. The fumes giving me a headache. Rubbing my temples helps, but it doesn't last. In this crumbling tower, I'm reminded of the empty promises.

"'Service for citizenship, protect your Empire.'" The poster lectures from its wall. From what? A volley of fire arrows and the fields would light up like a tinderbox. I fight to stay awake, but the midday light offers its warm embrace, whispering to me to close my eyes and rest. Boredom winning me over, I close my eyes.

A thunderous bang echoes through the tower, and I'm wide awake now. My heart is racing with my panicked breath. As the hatch creaks, I reach for my sword, readying myself for whatever comes.

"Damn door," a familiar voice bellows. "Kid, give me a hand." I open the door and help the aging soldier into the tiny room. "Thanks." He dusts himself off. "Bored yet?"

I look back towards the fields. Of course, I'm bored. They don't send you here for the excitement. It's for getting you out of the way. They knew what was happening, and the Madame still threw me out, and worse of all, Gisllie agreed, saying I needed fewer distractions in my life.  

"Well, you better get used to it,"-closing the door behind him-"You didn't do yourself any favors,"- he chokes back a swig from his canteen- "Nobles defend their little shits even when they fuck up."

He's right. Have the right name or enough coin, and the rules don't apply to you. That girl lost the use of her eye, all to satisfy that sick little fucks pleasure. I tighten the grip on my sword, but it does nothing to ease my anger. I did what had to be done, and I don't regret it. He deserved everything I did to him.  

"You should go, kid. Not like anything is going to happen here."

"Yeah," I put my sword on the rack. The creaking of the trap door echoing through the room, torturing our ears. I grit my teeth, trying to stop the ringing in my head, buts it lingers like the sting of a fresh cut. Everything here is falling apart. If it's not one thing, it's another.

"I'll get the quartermaster to fix that," he promises.

"Right..."

Leaving the guard tower, I'm drowning in the afternoon traffic. It's still early, so Aunt Iona should still be at the Eagle Tavern. With the tide heading to the market, I have one option. Swimming through a sea of bodies and wagons, I enter the training ground, hoping not to draw attention. Under the watchful eyes of officers, not one dares to brake rank, allowing me to walk through without any problems. When the gate comes into view, I sigh with relief. However, my luck runs out. A group of imperial soldiers encircles me. Like a pack of hungry wolves, they block my escape. Confidence etched on their faces.

Fear washing over me, I raise my arms in defense, my gaze darting between them, anticipating who would attack first. There are five of them, and though their not seasoned soldiers, they still have the advantage.

"What have we told you about coming here, Arverni," one of them says. "Didn't you learn your lesson last time?"

"I'm just passing through Atamus," Not lowering my guard. Anger now overshadowing my fear, I welcome the idea of a fight. They egg each other on, luring others with the prospect of a beating.
 
"Look, mongrel," Atamus grabs a stick from the ground, "People like you don't belong here. Guess you need a reminder." He charges me like boar, a brave but stupid move.

Cracking a smile, I step to the side, and he stumbles into a weapon stand. His squeals turn the area into a plethora of chants. Officers order everyone back in line and to cease their barbaric behavior, only for their words to fall on deaf ears.

I get a few hits in, but a knee to the gut rips the air from my lungs. I keel over, unable to breathe, grasping my stomach as everything around me becomes blurry. They kick me like an alley dog, and all I can do is endure it; one plants his knee on my back, restraining me from behind, forcing me to look up. "I warned you." Atamus stands over me, about to bash my head in, only for the chanting to stop.


"What is the meaning of this?" Armored footsteps march toward us, and the senior commander pushes past his men. When Atamus drops his weapon, I know the fight is over.
"This is not a tavern. Who is responsible for this?" Looking at all of us until his gaze lands on Atamus. "Atamus! Is this you're doing?"

"Sir, I..." was all he could mutter before being kicked to the ground.

"You're imperial soldiers. I will not have you acting like savages," he grabs him by the collar. "Get back to your training," throwing Atamus towards the sparing circles. "That goes for all of you! Move!" They scramble over each other like pups running from the broom.

Stipping some blood, I rise to my feet, and a firm hand grips my shoulder. "As for you, Arverni," he growls, "Don't come through here again." The stench of his alcoholic breath churning my stomach. "I won't protect you again." Releasing me, he walks over to the exercise, barking orders as his men.

While I'm still dizzy from the fight, I soldier on through the pain. Not willing to risk the main streets, I decide that the side streets are my best option; I quickly glance at the sun and hasten my pace, wincing from the bruises decorating my flesh.




Character List
Colton: Main POV Character
Atamus: An young Imperial soldier

I appreciate the feedback provided. One request that I have is to provide something that you like and dislike.

If you see something that needs improvement, please don't hesitate to let me know. I can't improve otherwise.

Thank you to everyone that is enjoying Rise From the Fall so far. I'm going to be cutting longer chapters up, so one old chapter may become two to three smaller ones.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.