Romance Fiction posted October 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni and Jim are on the way to the reservation.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER SIETE; PART TRES

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Soni studied the envelope. "That's strange." She carefully opened it and silently read the typed letter. You've been warned. Sell the ranch and leave. We don't want no female ranch owners. Especially, half-breed squaws. LEAVE NOW!! She swallowed and looked at Tatiana. "Nothing important. I think we're ready to leave." She shoved the letter and the envelope in her jean's pocket. I won't allow this to upset Grandfather's Bountiful Harvest Celebration. I'll worry about it later.

TODAY'S POST:

"The celebration begins in thirty minutes. I know Grandfather wonders where we're at." Soni grabbed her best Western hat.

Alex walked inside. "Tatiana, ready?" He glanced at the three. "Let's get going. By Kuruk standards, we're already late."

"I think we can all fit in my Range Rover. There's no need to take two vehicles." Soni opened the driver side door to her vehicle.

"Let's take two. When we old fogies get tired, we can come on home. You young'uns can stay as long as you like."

"Whatever! You're both still young in my book." Soni laughed. "Okay. We'll meet you there." She glanced at Jim. "Ready?"

"Yep. Let's get this show on the road." Jim waited for Goliath and Mack to crawl into the back seat before he sat in the passenger seat.

"Darn!" Soni ran toward the house. "Alex, go ahead. I forgot something. I'll be right behind you."

Goliath jumped around Jim and then followed Soni into the house. Mack started to, paused, and then yawned before he lay back down.

Jim petted the large white dog. "I agree, boy. It's not worth it."

After a while, Jim glanced at his watch. It's been a good fifteen minutes. Maybe we should've gone in. He stepped from the car. Mack followed.

They were within a foot of the front door when Soni opened it. "I couldn't find it. I guess Grandfather already took it."

"What?"

"Nothing really." Soni sat behind the wheel. "Let's get going."

*****

About three miles from where the road leading to the ranch house met up with I 35, Soni turned down a part gravel and part dirt road.

Jim asked, "How far is it to the reservation?"

"About four miles. It'll go slow because of the road conditions. Dad wanted to blacktop it, but Grandfather refused." Soni grinned. "Grandfather would say, 'You can't have a street leading to an Apache Reservation. It just isn't right.' I think he's right."

"How old were you when your mother died?"

Soni glanced at Jim, and paused, before she answered, "Let's make a deal. I'll answer your questions, if you answer mine."

"Sounds fair enough. But they have to be on like subjects."

"My mom, Jacali, died during childbirth. I never met her."

"That must've been horrible."

"Not really. Dad was usually around. When he wasn't, Alex and Tatiana were there." Soni's voice softened, "Tatiana treated me like I was her daughter. Of course, Grandfather was very protective. He still is." She turned her head. "It's your turn. What were your parents like?"

"Let's see, I was an only child. Mom was a school teacher. She taught high school English. She stayed home until I went into junior high. Your typical mom, who baked cookies, cleaned house, and made sure I lacked for nothing. Dad worked for the NYC police department. He was a homicide detective. Although he wasn't home much, he did make sure he made most of my sporting events and the important parts of my life."

"What? Did you see that light?" Soni tapped the brake and slowed down. "Nothing or nobody should be out here." She stretched back in the seat and reached into her jeans' pocket for her cell phone. I wonder if this is part of the warning the letter talked about.

"Could it be Alex?"

"That's who I'm calling." Soni listened for a moment before she told Alex about the light.

After she set the cell on the console, Jim asked, "Did Alex or Tatiana see anything?"

Soni shook her head. "He offered to come back, but I assured him it was nothing. It's some cowboys goofing off."

"You're probably right." Jim leaned forward in his seat. "I don't see the light."

"Me neither." Soni released a deep breath as the Range Rover crept along.

"This isn't good. I don't recognize any of these men." Soni brought the vehicle to a complete stop, stared at the four men standing in the center of the road, and reached for the sawed-off shotgun that set between her and the center console. "There's a Remington 1858 in the glove box. I'm sure you know how to use it."

After closing the glove box, Jim asked, "We moving closer or waiting for them to come to us?"





Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of a dirt/gravel road in rural Texas. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.