General Fiction posted October 4, 2014 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The old priest educates Leopold on demons.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Shedding Light On A Demon

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates encounter each other in various lifetimes. In spite of impossible circumstances they somehow always manage to find each other and attempt to be together.
Previously, Leopold traveled to Constantinople to visit with church leaders concerning his suspicions regarding Julia's demon posession. He was left in the hands of Rastavius a very old priest with some interesting ideas on the subject. He began to learn of the views of Rastavius. Cassius was taken home and before long, Valerius showed up to adminster treatment to his badly injured leg. Valerius did an excellent job and implemented proceedures that no one had seen before. His treatment saved the leg of Cassius. We continue the story now as Rastavius hurriedly rushes towards a door at the back of the church. Leopold is not sure where he is going. But, he has been summoned to come along, so he is following quicly after.


~~~~~~~within the inner sanctum of the church in Constantinople

 
The stairs appeared almost immediately upon entering the door that Leopold followed Rastavius to in rapid pursuit. Had it not been for the flowing hair of Rastavius descending those stairs, there is every likelihood that Leopold would've plummeted to his death. As it was, the stairs creaked with age and neglect. They stank of mystery and foreboding. Leopold followed, staggering under the intoxicating effect of maniacal purpose. Whatever Rastavius sought at the end of this journey, Leopold feared. He knew that he would be charged with the knowledge of it, and the knowledge could be nothing but terrible.
 
He reached the bottom of the stairs and found passageways leading in different directions. Doors closed in the distance, as though a secret shivered in the shadows, behind them. The faint screams and moans, he realized, where conjured by the foreboding of his own pounding heartbeat. He whispered down the passageway, "What would God, who is everywhere, want in this place?" The whistling of a breeze, from parts unknown, whispered its answer. I do pray that you are near, Lord. I truly do. He braved the dancing light on the walls of the one corridor that was illuminated and sought Rastavius. The door at the end of short walk had ancient writing on it. He was not versed, but it appeared to be Aramaic. He had seen it before, though he could not begin to decipher its meaning. Creatures that were unknown to him entwined themselves above the doorway with eyes fixed upon him.

He reached for the ornate handle and pulled gently. The horrific, nerve-jangling screech of metal as the door opened did not become manifest. The silence of its opening proved more chilling in juxtaposition to his expectations. The room twinkled as though a child's dream had come to life. Leopold knew some opulence as a Deacon of the parish in the village. There were artifacts of gold and examples of fine art in the village church. But, this room contained more gold than he knew existed in the world. Every goblet and frame was bejeweled. Every portrait and scene depicted within those frames was in a detail and realism that he never knew possible. He looked for Rastavious, but, except for the awe striking treasures, he was alone.
 
At the far corner of the room was a small door. It was plain and small so that a normal sized man would have to stoop to fit through. There was no decoration of any kind on it. A small oval knob that appeared to be made of amber attached towards the right side a little above the middle. He placed his thumb and forefinger over the oval protrusion and pulled. The door opened to a great fanfare of grating and creaking although the effort proved minimal.
 
A young woman stood at the wall to his right as he entered. Rastavius faced him, his back to her, watching him enter the room. While many lanterns had brightened the previous room, this room had but a single candle on a table. The table was of an indeterminate wood, having been covered completely in wood and what looked to be dried blood, as well as other material that appeared organic in nature. The woman bled from wounds to her face and torso. Bruises of varying severity mapped her body. She appeared to be in distress, but made no sound.
 
"This is a girl like the one that threatens your village. She feels none of this… at least the demon uses trickery to hide the pain and its truth from her mind. She is hardly removed from childhood. Indeed, the demon has taken her childhood from her and cast her to the streets of iniquity. He whores her on the streets of Constantinople without regard for her soul. The soul within her sleeps unaware of the body's desecration. I fear that I may not favor it by its freedom. Free to face its own damnation of deed. Free to live in a temple of depravity lusting without understanding." He turned and faced the woman.
 
Leopold was in shock. What will he do with her then? "Once free of the demon, she returns to a life where she looks the same. It is the same body that walks the same streets. What is her fate?"
 
"Yes, my friend, once the flesh has tasted the fruit of depravity it craves it as an animal craves prey. A sin that isn't a sin, becomes one. Shall I release her to that?" He drew a crooked dagger from a sheath within his frock. "No. I offer her eternal life. A soul that is not marred by the deeds of a body possessed. Am I not showing the kindness of Almighty God?"
 
"You plan to kill her?"
 
"I plan to release her soul from the grips of this demon. Then what will he do but return to the fire that spawned him?"
 
"There is no way to drive the demon away?"
 
"Would you be its host? Would I? No good could come of God's own servants being given to the will of such a hellhound. The struggle would be its death, yes. It would be our death too. A hollow victory. The woman seeks release. There is none on this earth for her. The Great God of Mercy opens his arms to her. What is there that I can offer that is better than that?"
 
Leopold considered that. He had no words. He shrugged slightly and turned his head to the side with an eyebrow raised in confirmation. The woman did not scream or offer a reaction of any kind. Leopold contemplated the length of time that the struggle might have gone on, but he could not fathom a guess. She certainly is not blessed to be on this Earth. An eternity with… "Is it up to us to make such a determination? I concern myself greatly with the girl in my village, but who am I to judge her? Am I not a sinner myself living by the grace of the Father?"
 
"Do you wear these garments out of favor for the cut of the cloth? These trappings display the favor of the Lord upon us. We have dedicated our lives to service and hold ourselves up to the wicked eye of our fellows. They wish nothing more than a bridge that washes out over a deep canyon. It is the nature of man. A mountain to climb made of bones that give way with a sigh of shame. We speak for and carry out the will of God, son. If not, why the pretense. A nod as you stroll through the village? Is that what you seek?"
 
"No, no. Service, indeed. It weighs upon my heart. Such matters are solemn and given to grave reflection. Perhaps the girl is dim-witted and thinking with the mind of a child. Am I to cut into the heart of a child that plays like a soldier? Did I not do the very same? And you, were you not once marching on Rome causing its fall?"
 
"Children are not of an ilk that bring the flesh of a man to blindness as this Jezebel here. They do not possess the cleverness to vex a learned holy man, and send him on a mission of great distance, as she has you this very day. Make no mistake; you have not made this journey in error." With speed, unexpected in a man of his years, he turned and mortally wounded the woman bound against the wall. Her life spewed forth and sprayed the room as a fountain in the church courtyard. But, by candlelight, the crimson liquid looked more like a fog that had rolled in to never leave.
 
Leopold observed with much less shock than he ever dreamed possible. The thought of this woman's soul already floating free in the perfect embrace of Almighty God became the image that predominated his thoughts. The look of fervor that was etched into the face of Rastavius began to find a home on the countenance of Leopold. Thoughts of Julia flying with the wings of angels into the arms of the Lord began to fill his mind and cause his eyes to glaze over. He had work to do… the Lord's work.




 



Recognized



I will try to get some headway going on responses to your fantastic input. I hope you notice the direction of the story and the many influences your ideas and input have had on the writing of this. Thank you so much.

I had to rate this a three for violence because a two doesn't show any warning or even make mention of it.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.