Essay Non-Fiction posted September 10, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Moving out of grief and stepping back into life.

Moving Forward

by Judith Ann


Months passed since my last post on May 23rd. The usual reasons come to mind, one being I am busy with work. I consider myself blessed to hold a job I love and one which suits me so well, especially in this season of life. I am not complaining, just stating a fact.

Maybe the real reason for my lack of writing for this blog is I no longer identify with the label of 'widow.' Although widow describes my marital status it no longer defines me. During the 3-1/2 years since Dave's passing, change is a certainty. My outlook on life graduated from half of a whole (a couple) to a floundering half (grieving widow) to a complete person who is now single again and ready to move forward.

Forward appears as a vast expanse of unknowns, uncertainty, and unexpected blessings. "Even in darkness the light dawns for the upright." (Psalm 111:4) Going through the valley of death, is unquestionably a darkness, but also a time when God's light shines by reflecting off of the Body of Believers who surrounded me. That season was a time when I witnessed God's command for us to 'carry each other's burdens,'(Galatians 6:2) carried out to the fullest.

Opportunity awaits. My dreams haven't changed. My passions are still a vital part of who I am. God created me with a certain purpose and I am still discovering my purpose. I have a good idea what much of His plan is, but I feel there is still more He wants to reveal to me in His good and perfect time.

I might get caught up in the moment now and then, and reflect on the past and dwell on the, should haves and if only's, that only lasts a short time. By morning when I turn to my journal with coffee cup in hand, find the reading for today in my devotional, and open my Bible, God shows up. Again I am rescued from my self-pitying ways and thrust back into the reality that my life is good.

I am often drawn to a favorite verse, Jeremiah 33:3. "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." I take this verse personally and cling to it, sensing God is telling me to hang in there. He has some surprises waiting for me, surprises which will take my breath away! I no longer identify as a widow, but a new creation, and one God still has a plan for.





This article will be posted on my blog for widows. I began writing about widowhood hoping to help others through this difficult season. It was very healing for me to write and I pray it has helped other women in similar situations.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Judith Ann All rights reserved.
Judith Ann has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.