Romance Fiction posted September 9, 2014 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Like three coins in an ocean

A chapter in the book The Animal Doctor

Broken Hearts

by amahra




Background
Nathan's inability to escape Margaret's advances appears to have cost him his marriage. Only time will tell which of the trio, if any, will rise from this dilemma unscathed.
(The last paragraph of chapter 18)

"You laid with her in the barn?" Elizabeth snapped.

Nathan began explaining so fast, his words seemed to fly out of his mouth. "But I swear she blackmailed me into meeting her again. She said she'd tell Grace if I didn't. I was frantic and went to meet her...just to meet her, mind you. That's when it happened again. I knew and she knew I still had strong feelings for her. But you...you've got to believe me. I was never going to leave Grace and the baby, and I tried to make that clear. But she just laughed. Then she said she had lied and was never going to tell Grace. I got mad and left, but by that time it was too late. My stuff was spread out on the lawn, and Joseph was waiting." Then he slowed down. "I only intended to tell her off and leave.  When I didn't come home that night, Grace must have phoned Wainwright and found out I'd lied. How could I have been so stupid?"

"Now, Nate, my boy, don't be so hard on yourself," Dr. Koren said, clenching his empty pipe between his teeth.

"Oh, you men make me sick the way you stick together. Go have a glass of whiskey or whatever you do in that Man room of yours."

"That's a good idea. Care to join me, Nate?" Koren asked, easing up from his chair.

"Sure, why not? Getting drunk seems like a good idea." The men walked into the smoke room and closed the door.

"And don't come out until you figure out how to get Grace back," Elizabeth shouted. Then she mumbled to herself, "And I think I'll go and have a nice, long talk with Mrs. Tom Wainwright. I'll bet I can get Margaret to stay away from you."

**************

 
(Chapter 19
)
Word spread fast in the servant community and then to their employers, which is how most prominent households got secrets about every other prominent household. The Daniels marriage had hit the rocks, and divorce was imminent. Of course, there was never talk of divorce, yet gossip still took precedence over facts in Sweet Springs, Texas.

Every note Margaret’s driver delivered was intercepted by Dr. Koren and burned in an ashtray. Margaret and Big Tom fought constantly over her infidelity, and Big Tom threatened to cut her out of his Will if the torrid affair didn’t end.  But they were empty threats; Big Tom loved his twenty-year social standing with a titled daughter in the family. In fact, it was the last thing Margaret yelled at him before storming out of the room during an argument.

Not since Eva was found at the bottom of a cliff, had Nathan been tied up in a scandal. Now it would take more than a tick fever scare to restore him this time. Nearly half of Nathan’s animal patients belonged to strict Christian families, and his business was taking a hit. Naturally,  Big Tom hired another Vet. Well, that’s one way to keep from seeing Margaret, Nathan thought after learning he'd been replaced.

Although every letter Pete delivered to Grace was returned unopened, she did, however, allow Nathan a two-hour weekly visit with the baby while she was conveniently out of the house.  That Saturday afternoon, Nathan stood in the family room of his house; it felt strange not living there anymore. He looked around and his eyes welled up. He walked over to the sofa and touched it like he was greeting an old friend; he sighed then took a seat and waited for Pearl to bring the baby down from her playroom. He wished, somehow, he could make Grace listen, just listen, even if she didn’t understand or forgive him. All he wanted was his day in her "court".

When Pearl entered with the child, Nathan lit up like a Christmas tree.

“Oh my goodness, she’s walking,” he said.

The baby’s arms were up over her head and Pearl was holding her hands like they were strings on a puppet as she took her little steps to her daddy. As she grinned, Nathan could see at the front of her mouth, two shiny white teeth—one at the top and one on the bottom.

“Hey, Sweetheart. Come on."  With a flashing white smile, Nathan stooped with his arms opened wide.

He scooped her up in his arms and held her to his chest—his watery eyes overflowed. The baby played with a tear on his cheek as Pearl looked on at this tragic reunion—her eyes dripping like a leaky faucet.
 
**************
The sky was grey, and a fine rain fell from the clouds as Pete ran around to the passenger side. He held an umbrella over Elizabeth Koren as she stepped from the car. Netty greeted her at the door and asked her to sit in the family room while she went to get Mrs. Wainwright.  Elizabeth looked around the room with her chin in the air. “Rich people—always acquiring more than they need,” she mumbled to herself. Suddenly, Netty walked back into the room.

“Mrs. Wainwright will be right down, Miss. Shall I get you something…maybe some cake and coffee?”

“No thank you."

“Very well, Miss.” Netty left the room.

After a few moments, Mrs. Wainwright entered  the room. Her tall, elegant frame was draped in a navy-blue, floor-length satin hostess gown and her long, mixed grey hair, piled neatly on top of her head, was held with a ruby and pearl-studded comb.

“Elizabeth,” she said, walking towards her with a cold stare.

“Rose,” Elizabeth said with a false smile. Rose gestured for her to sit down in the large chair, while she took a seat in another facing her.

“Are you sure you don’t want anything to eat or drink?” Rose seemed uncomfortable and tried to look sincere.

“I’m sure. I’m not going to be here that long.” She stared at Rose and cocked her head.

“So, what do I owe this visit? It’s been a long time,” she said, wiping a few beads of sweat from her brow.

“Yes, it has. It’s been a very long time, Rose, since we talked.”

“What can I do for you?” Rose asked as if she dreaded the answer.

“Well, for one, you could start by putting a harness on that bitch of a daughter of yours."

“I beg your pardon,” Rose said, with one eyebrow raised and her chest swelling up.

Elizabeth leaned forward and glared at Rose. “Oh don’t play Miss rich and refinement with me, Rose Wainwright. Like Mother like daughter.”

“What do you mean?"

“You keep that home wrecker away from Nathan.”

“But Margaret’s a grown woman. I can’t tell her what to do. And what does this have to do with you?”

“Nathan is like a son to me. And don’t give me that ...'I can’t tell Margaret what to do...' I know Margaret will do whatever you and Big Tom tell her to do.  You knew she was in love with Nathan,  and you made her marry that English royal bum anyway.”

“That wasn’t my doing. That was Tom’s," she said looking off and stroming her long pearls that hung down nearly to her waist. Then she started fanning herself nervously with her hand. “God, for a moment there, I thought you had gone back on your word.”

“You mean my promise to keep your little secret?” Elizabeth said with a devilish smile.

“Yes,” she said,  blowing her breath, like she was relieved.

“That you slept with my husband.”  Rose looked around nervously and shushed Elizabeth.

“And that Margaret isn't Tom's daughter, but my husband’s daughter?”

“What is the matter with you? Keep your voice down."

I said I'll keep your secret and I will,” Elizabeth whispered,  "but only if Margaret stays away from Nathan. If word ever got out about you, you’ll be ruined. Not one self-respecting family in Texas will receive you.  Think what this would do to your precious Margaret if this got to the English news papers.”

“Elizabeth, why?  I’ve done what you blackmailed me to do all those years ago for keeping my secret. I gave you money to start Koren off in his business. I talked every wealthy family in these parts into hiring only him to take care of their animals. I’ve done everything you made me do. We should be even by now.  It’s not fair for you to go against what you promised because of Margaret’s actions.”

“I don’t give a damn if it’s fair or not. Either convince Margaret to stay away from Nathan, or I’ll ruin you like I should have years ago.”  Elizabeth stood to leave.

“You realize I’ll probably have to tell Margaret the truth in order to get her to stop,” Rose said rising from the chair.

“I don’t care how you do it. Just do it.” 

Elizabeth left the house with Rose Wainwright standing in a daze, fingering the long pearls that hung from her elegant throat.

Meanwhile, back at the Daniels’ house, Grace sat in the car as Pearl pleaded with Nathan to give her the baby and leave. His time was up and Grace refused to come in until he left.  He kissed the little tot so many times, her little pink face was damp.

“Mr. Nate, Please.”

“All right, Pearl.”

He handed Pearl the baby, but she held on to her daddy's lapel and fussed. He gently pried her little hands loose and forced himself to tune out her crying, or he knew he’d never leave. He rushed out of the house to keep from breaking down.

Outside, Nathan spotted Grace’s eyes peering at him. He ran to the car and tapped on the window. Grace turned her face away from him. Joseph sat in the driver’s seat looking lost and helpless.

“I love you,” Nathan yelled to her.  He got into his car and drove off.
 



Recognized


I've posted the last paragraphs of chapter 18. This is the first half of chapter 19. I keep chapters short for my fan-readers who keep up with the story.

Also, I'm aware of Prohibition which started in 1920. My characters are wealthy and like the wealthy at that time, they could afford to buy the good stuff on the Black Market. Prohibition was said to have been a very unpopular law, therefore, nobody kept it. History has it that some Speakeasies were even protected by the police.

For those who are new to the story:

Main Characters:

Nathan (Nate) Daniels....Main Character
Grace Nevers-Daniels..... Nate's wife
Baby Margaret(little Maggie) ........... Nate and Grace's daughter

Margaret...Nathan's heart breaker and lost love
"Big" Tom Wainwright..... Margaret's father and one of the riches cattlemen in Sweet Springs, Texas

Doctor Koren.......Nathan's Mentor
Elisabeth Koren....Doctor Koren's wife
Ella and Ellie ......the Korean's twins

Eva Mitchell.......Deeply in love with Nathan (Deceased)
George and Mary Nevers......Grace's Parents

Ten Oakes'Servants

Joseph........Negro Limo driver
Pearl.........Negro Housekeeper

Koren's Servants:

Pete...........Negro Driver
Merald.............Head housekeeper
Jenny...............Maid and cook

Supporting Characters:
Sweet Springs Town folk

Art Work by Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.