Romance Fiction posted August 31, 2014 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni and Jim talk.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

CHAPTER CINCO, PART DOS

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After Soni heard the truck leave, she opened the door to Jim's room.

He looks like he's asleep. Soni sat in a chair by the door with Goliath and Mack lying on the floor beside her.

A few moments passed, before Jim asked, "Are you going to say something or just stare at me?"

TODAY'S POST:

With widened eyes, Soni sat straighter. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

"You didn't. I was just resting." Jim glanced at the bed and then at his bandaged shoulder. "I can't do much else, can I? You've never told me your name."

"Soni. Would you like something to eat or drink? Maybe something to read?"

"I could use a drink."

"I'll be right back."

Moments later, Soni returned with a large glass of iced tea. As she helped Jim sit, she asked, "What happened?" After he finished, she set the glass on the nightstand.

"I was driving toward Laredo, my home. Out of nowhere came three older pickups. One passed me and slowed down, causing me to slow down. Then one rode along my left side. The third truck came up behind me, rode my bumper, and hit my fender every so often. All of a sudden a passenger from each truck opened fire."

"You were ambushed." Soni pulled the chair closer to the bed and sat.

"It was."

"Any idea who wants you dead?"

"I know a few who'd probably like me to get out of their lives." Jim hesitated a little before he said, "Is there any way you can hide my vehicle? I don't want the state patrol finding it. They'll want to investigate."

"This should be investigated." Soni rose from the chair and took a few steps closer to Jim. "We've already tampered with the crime scene by bringing you here. We should've immediately called the Texas Rangers or at least the police. Now, you want us to hide your suburban?"

Soni's hands were on her hips. "Ever since you came into my life, you've been nothing but trouble. It seems strange that you needed help and I willingly helped. The next afternoon, you sneak away when nobody's home. Early the following morning, a Homeland Security Agent comes to visit and the Rockin' A's under investigation. He was here before breakfast! Even searched without a warrant!"

"I'm sorry, but I didn't have anything to do with that."

"It's too much of a coincidence. I don't believe in "coincidences. The same thing with you being shot. Why don't you want the authorities involved?" Soni stepped closer. "People have asked if I know anything about a man nosing around. The description fits you. Who are you working for? Who's trying to shoot you and why? Are we in danger because we helped you? Are the people who are after you, now after us? Are we going to end up in jail for helping you?"

"I can't answer any of your questions."

"Can't or won't?" Soni's eyes glared as they met Jim's. After she received no response, she turned on her heels and left the room, slamming his door as well as hers.








Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a highway going through Southern Texas. It shows the baron land, gullies, and some mesas. I hope this helps. I am back to school with a full class of very active first graders. Please pray for this school year. I am hoping once a routine is set, things will be easier. I have written ahead and notes to the rest of my novel. Once I get into my notes, I am sure posts will be shorter. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm still making numerous errors and need all of your help. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.