Horror and Thriller Fiction posted August 25, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A public service warning

A Mother's Crime

by lancellot


Tina never took her eyes off the Dunkin Donuts. She‘d been there for three hours, her back was stiff, and her bladder felt like a water balloon about to burst. The occasional kicks by baby Jeffery didn’t help any. With eyes glued to the door, she absently rubbed her pregnant belly.

“Relax, little guy. I know you’re hungry. Mama is going to eat, just as soon as she saves our family. You’re going to have a mommy and a daddy, like regular people. No tramp is gonna take your daddy away from us.”

She risked a glance at her dashboard. Green glowing lights displayed 12:00am. “It’s closing time, bitch!” Tina pulled out her mother’s steak knife from her purse. She stared at the steel blade, and thought back to yesterday.
***

“Tina, did you throw out my good knife with the trash again? You know how much those Japanese knives cost,” her mother asked, storming around the kitchen.

She glared at the cigarette hanging from her mother’s cracked lips. “Momma, do you have to smoke? You’re gonna give my son brain damage.”

“Girl, I smoked, fought, and drank with you, and ain’t nothing wrong with you. Besides, how do you know you’re having a boy?”

“Jeff wants a son, Momma, and I’m going to give him one.”

“Yeah, but how do you know it’s a boy?”

“It’s a boy, Momma!” she yelled.

“Mean mothers make mean babies, Tina.”

Tina’s hand slipped into her purse, and gripped the missing knife, but then she took a deep calming breath. No, it’s not your time, Momma.
***

The last light went out in Dunkin Donuts, and Tina slowly pulled her bulk out of the car. Her knees popped as she stood. She quickly turned around to see if anyone heard her protesting joints, but the parking lot was empty.

“Whew, thank you, Jesus.” She carefully made her way to the backdoor.

Standing behind the door, Tina reached up, and smashed the light with her purse.  Darkness and shadow fell over her.

She winced, as the eight month baby furiously kicked at her bladder. Tina froze as a warm trickle of urine ran down her leg. “Shit! Not now. Hold on, just a few more minutes.” But the baby was relentless, and Tina felt her strained muscles give.  Liquid heat flooded across her pelvis and down her legs.

“Fuck! Why? Why?” Tina instinctively reached into her purse for a napkin.  Awkwardly, she bent over to clean her wet ankles. The heavy steel door suddenly flew open.  A wet crunch echoed in the stillness, followed by a woman’s scream.
****

Sheriff Michaels stared as the ambulance drove away. He looked at the bloody knife, secure in an evidence bag. “I can’t believe that lady managed to save the baby girl with a kitchen knife. Shame the mother didn’t make it though.”

“How did she know the baby was alive?” Deputy Wilks asked, watching the Coroner take Tina’s body away.

“She saw it kicking.”



Assassinate Me A Thriller! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In 500 words or less, write a thriller (or/and horror) prose involving an assassin/assassination or hitman/hitwoman. No poetry or script, please. Be creative and have fun! :)

Recognized


No mothers or babies were hurt during the making of this tale.
Be nice :)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.