Sports Fiction posted August 27, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cynthia's struggle continues

The Attitude - Part 5

by boxergirl

Please refer to my portfolio if you need to catch up on "The Attitude" Parts 1-4. 


Cynthia's hopes of getting in the game early were soon dashed. The first half passed in a blur as Cynthia watched her team competing without her.  Becca's outside shooting was on target, and the sophomore point quard, Samantha, brought the ball up the court with ease. Their team defense wavered some, but they were still up by five when the second quarter ended. 

Cynthia tried to get some sympathy from Becca as they jogged to the dressing room for half-time. "Can you believe that... that woman?"

Becca didn't even look at her as she spoke. "Just shut up, Cee."  

She followed Becca into the dressing room and sat on the end of the bench by herself. Her thoughts were all over the place as she ignored Coach Hall's comments to the team about the first half stats and defensive adjustments.  I can't believe she hasn't put me in yet...probably because we're still ahead...Dad is gonna be so...she'd better put me in.

Cynthia moseyed up to the front of the huddle for the start of the third quarter. Coach Hall looked at her and shook her head, so she rolled her eyes and moved to the back with the rest of the substitutes.  Halfway listening to the instructions to the starters, Cynthia glanced up in the stands.  Her heart sank when she saw her dad sitting alone. Oh, no...where's Tom? He must have given up on seeing me play. She tried to look away, but her dad caught her eye and mouthed, "What's going on?"   She shrugged her shoulders and pointed at Coach Hall. When the horn sounded and the team broke huddle, she followed the others back to the bench.   Plopping down in the hardback chair, she took the towel from around her neck and flung it on the floor.    Just great...the one time I need to be playin'...I'm not even gonna get in the game.         

Pretending to watch the game and pouting about not playing, Cynthia was caught off-guard when Becca picked up her fifth foul.  Coach Hall grabbed her up by her jersey sleeve and pushed her toward the scorer's table. "Get in there for Becca!"

"Finally!" she muttered as she trotted to the scorer's table. After checking in, she met Becca walking off  the court. Becca placed her hand on Cynthia's shoulder and looked her in the eye. "You good?" 

Cynthia nodded, gave her a fist bump, and took her place on the court.

The score had tightened up, but her team still led by three points, and they had possession of the ball. Samantha  set up the offensive play and made a crisp pass to Cynthia in the right corner.  Even though she had just entered the game, she didn't hesitate to let her shot fly. The ball fell short of the rim, and the opposing fans in the student section razed her about it. "AIR BALL...AIR BALL." Meanwhile, her defensive player retrieved the long rebound and dribbled quickly down the court, going one on one against Samantha, the safety  on defense.  Samantha had to foul to keep the girl from scoring an easy lay-up.  

Coach Hall paced the sideline and screamed, "Ya'll gotta get back on defense."  During the two free throws, she signaled for Cynthia to come to her.   "An airball...not getting back on defense...What's going on, Cee?"

Cynthia put her hands on her hips and stared at the floor. "Nothing...nothing, Coach...I got this."

"Let's go then...get your head in the game!"

Samantha grabbed the rebound from the second missed free throw,  took a couple of dribbles up court, and heaved a long outlet pass to Cynthia, who was standing at half court.  She caught the pass, and with only one defensive girl to beat, she was confident she would score easily.  But then everything seemed to move in slow motion. Her feet felt like leaded weights as she planted her right foot, and her knee buckled beneath her.  Cynthia collasped to the floor, writhing in agony. 








 


               

















 




I thought I would end with Part 5, but I'm trying to keep these scenes shorter for you to review, so I'll try to end her up in Part 6. 8-)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. boxergirl All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
boxergirl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.