Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 6, 2014 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Recalling a jam session and the detectives on the road.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Hit Records and A Bard Story

by michaelcahill




Background
The focus now is on kidnapped children held by mercenaries in Utah. The Bard, a mentally ill, homeless poet leads the charge to rescue them.
Previously, Susan finally got a hold of Barry and they made plans to get back together. Barry made great inroads at Winston's compound convincing them that he was now in charge. The three detectives began thier pursuit of Barry and made plans to infiltrate the compound and arrange for rescue of the kidnapped children there. Ruby and Diamond were accosted by excited fans and found out they had a hit record that Harpster had released unbeknownst to them. We continue now as Ruby and Diamond recall the recording session that produced that record.



Diamond thought back to that exciting day when she and her daughter where introduced to the music business in Los Angeles.
 
Harpster snuck in ahead of everyone, as he was dead at the time. Ruby came in as the new owner of Blackwell Publishing. Being rich was all-new to her and her mother. These studios were beyond her wildest dreams. Business was the furthest thing from her mind as she toured the facilities. She had been a singer from birth, as had her mom. All of the "Pleased to meet you Miss Dancer's" didn't mean a thing to her. She wanted to record in a state of the art studio.
 
Ruby and Diamond found Harpster and the Bard in the darkened main studio swapping stories and laughing about who knows what. Laughter seemed to follow the Bard wherever he happened to be.
 
"Ladies! Welcome to... your place. Pretty fancy, huh? What can I get you?" Harpster waved his hand towards a large fridge built decoratively into the wall.
 
Ruby answered, "To tell you the truth, I'd like to try out the equipment. I've never been recorded on real recording equipment."

 


 
Harpster laughed a knowing laugh. "We have plenty of players in the building. Let's make some music then. I'm always down for that. I'll be right back."
 
Harpster left the little party in the studio and made the rounds. There were plenty of studio musicians and a few artists working on albums and material. Some would be available later. He stopped by his secretary's office and told her to put the word out that a session was under way for anyone who happened to be nearby. This was not an uncommon practice in Los Angeles. Many an impromptu session had made it to the charts over the years. John Lennon and David Bowie had collaborated right down the street. Even further back in time, The Beach Boys and Jan and Dean had recorded 'Barbara Ann' and made it a hit. But, to the artists, it was about making great music with great musicians.

 


 
Eminem stopped by to check on his friend, Cyrus Lawrence, an alternative artist that was recording his first album for Blackwell Publishing. Cyrus played cello on the Purple Haze track through an old vocoder. It sounded like someone speaking plaintively in the background, an eerie effect. Eminem couldn't wait to rap on the track. He freestyled his part in one take, the take that is heard on the CD.

 


 



In any case, it was a great session and now the two ladies had a hit on their hands.
 

~~~~~~~~Lucy's car on the road.
 

It turns out that Lucy's car had very little damage. Barry had driven in it to the dense forest area and it looked in worse condition than it was. There was some scrapes and scratches and that was it. The tow truck pulled it back on the road and the three detectives were ready to go.

 
"from the forests heart springs life
surprising in its lust for adventure
the darkness would seem a shroud
and the light would seem blinding
but perspective is a matter of the soul"

 
 
 
 

Lucy took in the Bard's words and smiled as she wrote them down. She wasn't sure if he had them written down somewhere himself, but she decided that she wouldn't take that chance.
 
The Bard looked at the little notebook that Lucy put in her purse. "You save insane ramblings?"
 
She laughed, "Of course, it will be easier to have you committed that way."
 
"Yes, committed she wants me. The greatest mind of the twenty-fourth century. Would that the piss ants that pursued my dreams be soaked in their own namesake. Be it a nobler task to brandish the superior intellect in the face of a dolt, or ride through a blizzard on the wings of a colt. Only the daughter of Pegasus would know… "
 
With that, the three of them were off. "He's got a couple hours on us. Luckily, your phone is still maintaining a charge. I'm crossing my fingers that he will just forget about it. It's tracking perfectly. I'm calling the troopers now. They are going to have to back off and let us run this. All they can do is create a disaster. With Winston out of the picture, it's already a chicken with its head cut off. I'm guessing Barry is making his play. "Yes, it's detective Adrian. We're on the road and tracking the suspect. We believe that there are children hostage there. We want to infiltrate first. Please hold off. Oh, yes. Yes, we need you there, you can believe that. We want you to have some eyes inside. Okay, Sergeant Smith. I co-ordinate with you then? Okay, perfect. Yes, sir." Tenaya hung up the phone. "His name is Joseph Smith. That's all I have to say about it. They are agreeing to let us make our move, but you can feel the fingers on the triggers. Damn it! How many Waco's do they need? There could be over a hundred kids held hostage. There can be no mistakes. We don't need a bunch of trigger happy troopers."
 
The Bard looked introspective or insane depending on if you knew him or not.
 
"A man was sitting on a hill alone. He thought about life and its meaning. He gave much of his time to contemplation and musing. He had many questions and he had many answers. The years passed and he grew wise. On another hill, another man sat in much the same way. He too grew wise with the passage of years and much contemplation. It occurred to them both one day that they should meet. Perhaps together they could find more answers and even excite more questions from each other.
 
Upon meeting they found that the two of them became more together than they were apart. Knowledge grew as they exchanged ideas and discussed them. Each would contemplate the others thoughts and expand on them.
 
One day, a third man came upon them. War was declared to win him over to their side. The world was in danger of ending."

 
Tenaya laughed. "That's mighty uplifting there, my friend. So, who's at war here and who are we trying to win to our side?"
 
The Bard smiled. "You didn't let me finish. It turns out that the third man was a poet. The world was saved."







 




Back to square one. Moving forward as I can't recall what I had written before exactly. But, I know the general direction. So, I'm heading that way! Thanks for staying with me. As always I so appreciate the input and suggestions. Thank you so much. mikey
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.