Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 27, 2014 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New plans are made. Barry seems to be made of luck.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Phone Games & Reunions

by michaelcahill



Background
Finally, Angela is safe. There are many dozens of kids still in danger though. The money is in the kidnappers hands as well. Still plenty of crime to stop for the Bard.
Previously, Angela and the girls were rescued. Angela took action and turned on Elsa. At the same time, the Bard, Lucy and Tenaya appeared from hiding and opened fire simultaneously and all hit Elsa in the shoulder area near her shooting arm. Barry upon hearing the shots grabbed the keys to Lucy's car, disabled the other vehicles and made a run for it. We continue now with Barry speeding away in Lucy's car after Junior dropped off the ransom money unaware that Angela had been rescued.



~~~~~~~Lucy's car with Barry driving
 

The Bard thought it would be a good idea to give Lucy a call. Of course, Lucy's phone happened to be in Lucy's car. Lucy's car happened to be with Barry. The Bard punched in the number.
 
"Hi this is detective Richman. Get it? Rich… Man." Barry laughed at his sharp witticism.
 
"Well hello, Mr. Richman. This is the brain inside the GPS tracking unit installed in your vehicle. When would you like to rendezvous?"
 
Barry hadn't thought of that. It hadn't occurred to Lucy either. But, it sounded good to the Bard. Barry became an instant believer. "Well, you can come for this car anytime you want. I won't be in it. I have a little cash. I think I'll buy something a little more roomy."
 
Barry pulled over to the side of the road. He saw a heavily forested area about a quarter mile up ahead and raced towards it. He pulled off the road and into a copse of trees barely fitting inside. He had to crawl into the backseat to exit the vehicle. He took the phone with him and crouched beside the road out of view. It wasn't long before a green station wagon made its way down the road towards his position. He came limping out of the forest area waving his arms and pointing to where the car was. The wagon pulled over.

 



 
"Are you all right, sir? What happened?"  Frances Greenhorn looked younger than her nineteen years. "What's in the bag? Are you hurt? Are you alone?"
 


 


 
"Please. I just need a ride into town… car stuck… deer ran in front… swerved… a ride."
 
"A deer? There isn't any deer in these hills, must've been something else. I can't imagine what though. A ride? I don't know. I can call Triple A if you want. I don't usually pick… now wait… there isn't any call  for that. Okay. Okay. A ride then. Town's a couple miles. No problem. A ride. You don't need a gun. I know you're just upset. But, Christ, a deer? There isn't any deer here… yes, sir. Quiet. Yes, sir. I was just… Yes… "


Barry kept his gun on Frances as he got in the car. "Drive. Drive and don't talk. Drive where I tell you to drive and you won't get hurt."
 
Frances did as instructed.

 
~~~~~~~~The farmhouse
 

"He's abandoned your car, Lucy. He's still stupid; he took your phone with him. He's on the move. Dammit! Another hostage or maybe a family of them. Stupid but lucky. That trunk had a hell of an arsenal in it. I had to get him out of that car. Not smart, Bard. Oh no. I'm talking to myself again. Don't answer… shhh. The pretty girl is watching. Shhhhhh." The Bard made a series of clicking and static noises, "This is Weather Central, the forecast is for clouds… big hairy talking clouds. And now the sports news. Over to you, Rocksolid Brainmatter."

 


 

 
Lucy just smiled. "You did the right thing. He was bound to switch vehicles. Better now before he got a gander at that trunk. Smart thinking. He's got the phone, we can track him. Give him a call back. Let him know we found the car and we're screwed. He wins."
 
The Bard called Barry again. Barry had an arrogant smirk on his face as he answered, "Detective Richman."
 
"That was real slick, Richman. They're trying to yank the car out from where you got it wedged. Real funny. Twenty cops with guns drawn on an empty car. You didn't waste any time did you. Well, we aren't stupid. We know you're on foot now. We're combing the hills like a comb through an Elvis bobblehead doll with realistic looking hair that needs combing."

 


 

 
"Hell. Don't tell me. This is that idiot, homeless friend of Harpster's. The so-called poet. They got you on the case?" Barry laughed into the phone. "That is puttin' the fear a God into me."
 
"Homeless idiot? I have a home, thank you. I am a poet, I know it. I have an idea... I grow it. You've sumthin' to say? Best stow it. If you see an extinct, Jurassic-era dinosaur, like a Tyrannosaurus Rex… BLOW IT!"
 
"Got some bad news for you, Bard of Bel Air, if that's what they still call you, I've already acquired transportation. Have fun chasing ghosts in the hills. You blew it! See? I'm a poet too."
 
"That doesn't even rhyme. You haven't heard the last of me. Well… unless you don't answer your phone. But, that would be so rude. Say, is it too late to split the money? It'll be our little secret… "
 
"Gotta run. Freedom call." Barry hung up laughing. He pulled over to the side of the road. "Get out."
 
Frances looked relieved and stunned at the same time. It resembled the picture that ends up on one's Driver's License. "Are you just going to leave me here to walk?"
 
"Jeez. People are stupid. Should I shoot you instead? I'm being pursued by an idiot. Get out and thank your lucky stars, lady, before I change my mind. Just keep your mouth shut. Remember, I could've killed you right here and right now. I can always come back if you give me a reason."
 
Frances jumped out of the car and moved quickly to the side of the road. Barry exited the passenger side, entered the driver's side and sped off with a huge smile on his face. He was singing 'Heartbreak Hotel'. His head didn't move quite right.

 
~~~~~~~the farmhouse
 

The farmhouse hadn't seen so much activity since it was falsely rumored that Paula Dean was cooking Saturday afternoon BBQ the July Fourth back in 2002. She started the rumour and then never showed up.

 


 


Well, the rich and famous are hard to figure.


The coroner's services were not needed, yet. Elsa clung to life and was whisked away by ambulance. All three shots were in her upper right chest and designed to disable her shooting arm. The blood loss was expected to be fatal, but a faint pulse warranted a dash to the emergency room.
 
Child protective services arrived to pick up Priscilla and Charlotte. Angela jumped up to intervene. "Wait. Where are you taking them?"
 
Mrs. Bleaker had a job that had worn at her over the years. She had seen enough orphans and abused children to wear her faith thin over the years. "I'm taking them to safety and shelter, little girl. Do you know them? Are these your little friends?"
 
"Little friends? We were just almost killed together. What's going to happen to them? Tenaya! Come here. They're trying to take the girls away. Do something!"
 
Tenaya heard the commotion and tried to calm things over. "She's just here to help them, honey. They can't live her like this. It isn't even their house. Cans of peas and beets aren't a good diet, no schooling… what if one of them gets sick. Their mom already died out here. They'll be safe and well cared for where they're going. They'll be plenty of kids to make friends with and no crazy ladies like Elsa."
 
"Call my father. We can take them with us. We have all the room in the world. What about all those kids at the school? What about my friend Trip? What will happen to them? They can't send them home. There's nothing there. Their own families didn't want them. Tenaya, please. Call my dad; he'll do something if I ask him."

 
~~~~~~~~A 2009 Kia driven by Junior Blackwell





 

To his credit, Junior wasn't waiting for his daughter to be delivered to him. He was driving straight to her. His phone rang as he paused outside of a large overgrowth of trees with what looked like a possible driveway going through it. "Yes. Blackwell. Oh, hello detective. Actually, I think I'm nearby, there's all these trees and a pathway… it is? Okay. I'll be right there. Don't tell her. Yes. A surprise."
 




 




Sorry for the time lapse between chapters. I've been off line for about a week. Hopefully, the problem is solved.
I'm still picture crazy!!
Will try to keep up and catch up with all your reviews and great input. Thanks for everything!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.