Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 16, 2014 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The judge makes a ruling. Elsa and Angela arrive at the farm

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Dwellings: A Jail Cell, A Farm House

by michaelcahill




Background
The niece of a rich Music Publisher is kidnapped. A mentally ill homeless poet is on the case. Millions at stake.
Previously, Elsa was on the move with Angela. It was thought that she was heading to Winston's compound, but when Samson's tracking device was noticed to be on the move, it was determined that their destination was elswhere in Utah. Q ran into unexpected trouble in court that could effect negotiations if money were to become a factor. The judge was about to make a ruling . Q stood apprehensively awaiting the judges edict. He thought he had been there to get a simple extension on the case. Now he didn't know what to think. We continue now as the judge is about to speak.



Judge Graphaswipe had to admit he enjoyed all the cameras and attention of this high profile trial. He had all of his appearances on Court T.V. on tape and looked at them often. Conscious of the cameras, he looked out over the audience and then focused on the red light at the bottom of the camera. "I can't in good conscience let Mrs. Blackwell be kept from her own accounts while the defense attorney uses this courtroom for his cloak and dagger games on behalf of his client. I have it on good authority that Johnathon Blackwell Senior has been spotted by several witnesses in Las Vegas. I want all the parties involved including him present here one week from today. In the meantime, all accounts and assets of Blackwell Publishing will be frozen. This looks like a clear violation of Mrs. Blackwell's rights to her own properties. Investigation of fraud and larceny will be set into motion. And I want either Mr. Blackwell Senior or proof positive of his death here in court on that date. We are dismissed!"
 
Q jumped to his feet. "Your honor. I object. You can't do this. They have to access their accounts. Their granddaughter is kidnapped. This is completely capricious."
 
"I can have you jailed for contempt, would that be capricious enough for you." He smiled at the camera.
 
"Your honor. There is no legal basis… "
 
"I am the law in this room. Lock him up. That should enlighten him on the meaning of the law." The judge paused and looked sternly into the camera. He knew that image would be all over the internet and thus the world within the hour.
 
Q stood there in handcuffs stunned. He didn't even look back as he followed the deputy to where ever his home for the evening might be. He suspected that there would not be any HBO where he was going.
 

~~~~~~~The eighth floor at Caesar's palace

 


 

Harpster paced the room and Junior shook the ice in his drink. Ruby looked at paperwork and her mother, Diamond, listened to music on headphones. There was little they could do but wait.
 
Junior broke the silence. "I can't believe Susan would jeopardize our daughter like this. That bastard, Barry has been a scumbag from day one. Now, like a rat on the Titanic, she is scurrying along the deck looking to escape, but there is no escape. The water is ice cold, just like vengeance."
 
Ruby sounded irritated, "Hell, that doesn't even make sense. You like to talk. Where were you when your daughter was snatched right off the street? Where have you ever been for anything? You had no problem sending me and my mother out on the street. I'm your sister, fool. No, I don't like it either… not one bit. And, may I remind you that you married that conniving bitch. You even knew that scum she had an affair with. What did you do about it? Nothing."
 
Junior for the first time in a long time had a look of arrogance come over his visage, "Who are you, anyway? Some singer from the bayou… the BIIIIIII OOOOO… ain't that special. Now you figure y'all gots some rich blood a runnin' through ya, sos ya gots to get on down and collects yer dahllas."
 
Diamond had removed her headphones and walked over to Junior. She slapped him full force in the face leaving it red. Junior looked up like a puppy caught peeing on the Persian rug.
 
Harpster laughed, "Whatcha gonna do boy? That lady done slapped ya silly. Y'all just gonna sit there a simmerin'?"
 
Everyone except Junior found that highly amusing. Junior returned to his more quiet persona. It served to keep him from getting beat on.
 
Harpster answered his cell phone, "Harpster. Yep. Damn. Well, that's good for them, but I don't like the idea of that bitch… Winston in the hospital? The Bard, huh? Yeah, he's full of surprises. So, that's good. At least they haven't vanished. No calls for ransom? Yeah… They are bound to get back to the nitty gritty. Keep me informed. If there's anything… okay. Yes. Gotcha."
 
Junior finally got an expression on his face. "What did they say, Dad? What about Angie?"
 
"They're tracking her, Son. They rescued over a dozen kids and have several people in custody, including your beloved brother, Winston. The Bard did a number on him. That's where they got the information that got this all going. But, Elsa managed to get away with Angela. The cat or cat box or whatever is on the move and they are guessing it is Barry. The move is to Utah. But, where they don't know."
 
"Dammit, they saved all those kids except her? What the hell. How could they let her slip through their fingers like that? Now we don't know anything. What are we going to do?" Junior seemed panicky.
 
Harpster wasn't filled with any great amount of compassion for his son, but he understood that he loved his daughter. "Don't worry son. I trust the people that are going after them. They'll find her. They have an idea where she is and where she is going. They're going to still call for the money… I'd bet on that. We wait. That's all we can do now."

 
~~~~~~~the abandoned Sutton farm in Utah

 

 

Elsa pulled onto an unmarked dirt road that seemed to lead right into the forest. She hadn't been here since she was a teenager. But, she recalled the road to the house clearly. It was over grown, but the road was there if you knew it was there. The ranch was huge and the road leading up to it was over two miles long. From where Elsa had turned off the highway to where they were heading, it was all Sutton land. The forest ended as abruptly as it started. Off about a quarter mile down the road was the old Victorian style two story Sutton home. It had been five years since anyone had been on the road leading to it.
 
Angela looked with interest and even anticipation as the large homestead loomed in the distance. It looked like a page out of one of her history books. She loved history and probably knew more about the workings of this place than Elsa who had visited here dozens of times. Elsa had no particular feeling as she drove up towards her grandparents' house. She could only think of things like ransom money, and where Barry and her cat might be.
 
The house needed repair. But, it had weathered abandonment quite well. Houses built in the early 1900's had the advantage of being constructed of quality materials. That constituted all the materials that were available. Plywood, particleboard, plastic molding and razor thin windowpanes didn't exist in 1914 when this house was constructed. The amount of oak, mahogany and other hard woods making up this house would cost a fortune. The rosewood trim and leaded glass windows in every room would fetch a pretty penny at a Sotheby's auction.
 
In spite of the dire circumstances, Angela couldn't help but feel some excitement at the prospects of exploring this piece of history. She had been to a few older sections of Los Angeles such as Pasadena that had homes like this and had been to more than one of the New England states where houses like this are not unusual.
 
The giant red barn caught her eye as well. That may contain items that could help in her efforts to escape, or overpower Elsa. Visions of sickles and axes danced in her mind, and fantasies of Elsa being hacked to bits made her smile.

 
Elsa didn't have time to reminisce or smile. "Get out. Let's see what's left of the old place. I have no problem tying you up and throwing you in the cellar, so don't try anything stupid. You know I can still get the ransom for you even if you're dead… as long as they don't know you are dead." Elsa laughed. She found that quite amusing. Angela found it difficult to see the humor.



 




Look what I figured out. Hahaha. Pictures! I'll try not to go crazy with them. Loving your great input. Any and all ideas considered. Critiques taken to heart and mulled over. Thanks for all your help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.