Romance Fiction posted July 13, 2014 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni discusses the medicne Granfather used on Jim.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter DOS, Part UNO

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Naw, Dad felt it was part of his job, so I guess it's mine now." Soni chewed on her bottom lip. "Stay by my side. If I'm not strong enough or do something wrong, step in. Okay?" She rubbed the mare's nose, looked her in the eyes, and spoke softly, "It's okay, Dulchinae. Stay calm. We'll get through this together." She continued to touch the mare as she walked to the rear. With one hand on the mare's side, she waited until she felt another contraction starting. Okay, it's time." Soni reached inside and tried to guide the foal out. "It needs to turn."

"I doubt there's room or time to turn it. Can you get two legs out?" Alex stood beside Soni.

"I'd better." Soni glanced at the foal already born. You need your momma, don't you? I'll do my best, but I don't know what I'm doing. A calm came over Soni. Grandfather, guide me through this.

TODAY'S POST:

Soni stared at the foal she had just helped into the world. Grandfather, I don't know how you do it, but thank you. She carried the foal and placed him in front of his mother. "Dulchinae, meet your son. It was touch-and-go for a little bit, but he's a fighter, this one is."

When the dinner bell clanged, all eyes glanced at the dining hall. Alex motioned for the ranch hands to leave. "You know Roy gets upset if you're late. Get going." He grinned at Soni. "You best let his mom do her thing. Tatiana'll be calling us in a few minutes."

Soni glanced down her body, "I need a shower," and headed toward the house. She turned. "Alex, I think I'll keep this little guy for myself."

"I'm not surprised. Have you decided on a name yet?" Alex followed Soni to the house.

"Nope. I'll work on that." Soni opened the front door and headed toward her room. "I'll be out in a few minutes."

*****
When Soni changed, she went into the dining room. Kuruk was already seated at the oak dinner table. "Grandfather, thank you for helping with the foal." She gave him a hug.

"I don't know what you're talking about, my child. I was busy with the stray you brought home." Kuruk smiled.

"Someday, I'll understand your magic." Soni kissed his cheek, and then walked into the kitchen and stood beside Tatiana. "How can I help?"

Tatiana pointed to two serving bowls; one filled with potato salad and the other with green beans. "Carry those to the table. I've made clear chicken broth for your friend. Right now, he's asleep. I'll feed him after dinner." She carried roasted chicken and followed Soni.

As they ate, Kuruk's eyes met Soni's. He grinned. "Your stray man woke up while I administered to him. I guess he's never seen a Lipan Apache Shaman before. I scared him so bad; I thought he was going to pass out again."

Alex chuckled. "Of course, he did. Last thing he remembered, he had a beauty queen taking care of him, and then an old wrinkled Indian Chief, wearing buckskin, paint, feathers and all." He continued laughing.

Tatiana struck her husband with a napkin. "Behave. He's probably never seen a real Native American close up before."

"Maybe he's never seen real Mexicanos before either." Kuruk pointed at Alex.

"In today's world, everybody's seen everybody. You're both being ridiculous." Soni took a bite of chicken.

Alex continued laughing. "Soni, that's not necessarily true. Not even in these parts. When you were, what, five years old..." He paused to think. "Yes, you were five. You came down with the chicken pox at school. Your dad and I were at a cattle auction in Laredo. Tatiana was grocery shopping, so the school called Kuruk. He was all decked out in his healing garb, much like he is now, and went to the school to get you."

"Yes, I remember. I was ministering to a baby boy who was very ill." The Shaman grinned. "The principal wasn't sure he could allow me to pick you up. I was on your emergency card as your grandfather."

"I guess they'd never seen a full blooded Lipan Apache before." Alex took a drink of lemonade.

"Did they allow you to bring me home?"

"They did. You ran to me crying and calling, 'Grandfather, Grandfather,' and then jumped into my arms. I guess you sufficiently identified me."

The four heads turned at a noise coming from the spare bedroom.

"I'll see if our guest's awake. Los dos hombres can wash the dishes." Tatiana stood, went into the kitchen, and returned carrying a bowl of broth.

"I'll go with you." Soni followed. "I think Grandfather and Alex have dishes to do." She laughed.

Tatiana cracked the door open, passed the bowl to Soni. "Stay here a minute." After she adjusted Jim's blankets and moved a chair closer to the bed, she motioned for Soni to come into the room.

Soni stood by the closet.

After a few moments, Jim opened his eyes.

"I brought you some chicken broth. Would you like me to help you sit?" Tatiana adjusted the pillows and, again, the blankets.

When Tatiana was finished, Soni handed her the bowl and smiled at Jim. "Feeling any better?"

"I must've been worse off than I thought. I had a hallucination that an Indian chief was standing over me." Jim accepted a spoonful of broth from Tatiana. "Hmm, that's good."

"Thank you, sir. I made it myself." Tatiana offered him more. "There was a Lipan Apache Shaman administering medicine to you. He's Soni's grandfather." She motioned toward Soni.

"When you said no doctors, I thought Grandfather would be all right. You needed somebody." Soni stepped closer to the bed.

"What did he use?"

"Incense and herb packs. He also asked the spirits to heal you."

Tatiana offered more broth.

"That explains the odor." Jim glanced at his chest, stomach, and arms. "What kind of herbs are on me?"

Again, Tatiana adjusted the blankets, making sure the stranger was adequately covered.

"I'm not sure. The incense was probably Osha root, for purification. Then the herbs; Jimson Weed for pain, also powdered Dock root as an antibacterial. He probably used some ground plume mixed with Dragon's Blood, rock salt, soot, and wine to drive away evil effects of bewitchment."

"I'm sure I didn't need purification nor was I bewitched. I leaned over a cliff too far and fell." Jim tried to rise. "How could he use Dragon's Blood? There's no such thing as dragons."

"It's from a plant that has red berries. The medicine is made from the resin on the berries."

Tatiana put her hand on his arm. "Sir, you need to lie still for a few days. At least until your wounds begin to heal." She adjusted the blankets.

Jim stared at Soni. "Where's the notebook I asked you to get for me?"

"I handed it to you before we left for the helicopter. I haven't seen it since." Soni paused. "If it's really important, I'll send some men out to Big Grizzly to look for it."

With eyebrows furrowed and a clenched jaw, Jim answered, "It's not important."

Tatiana offered Jim more broth. "Take some more. You'll heal faster."

Soni opened the door. "I need to check on some things. I'll be back later." I know he's lying. I need to find that notepad and see what he's up to.





Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a dinner bell shaped as a long horn. What else would Texas have? LOL I'm still making numerous errors and need all of your help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.