Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 12, 2014 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Barry walks out of Caesars, the kids turn to face Elsa.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Barry Runs, The Kids Turn to FIght

by michaelcahill




Background
The Bard, poet, homeless man, and a little insane helps to find a kidnapped granddaughter and trafficked children. millions at stake.
Previously, Several children including Angela escaped from the abandoned school while Elsa and the others were absorbed by the events happening on the rooftop of Caesar's Palace. On the roof, Wayne and Marie sang Paper Roses and manuevered Winston close to the Bard who attacked. Tenaya and Lucy took out Winston's henchmen while the Bard coerced information about the children out of Winston. We continue the story now in the aftermath of these events.



~~~~~~~The rooftop of Caesar's Palace
 

The paramedics rushed to the turbine room and Winston was brought out on a stretcher. He had a collar on his neck and he was strapped securely to the apparatus as it was wheeled towards the service elevator. Six FBI operatives accompanied the paramedics and Winston as they entered the elevator. Winston remained conscious and glared at the Bard who blew kisses at him as the doors closed.
 
Two of Winston's henchmen were dead, one was critical and being airlifted to the local hospital. The other one was conscious, seriously wounded, but expected to live. He was already being questioned even as they waited for the elevator to return.
 
The others took to the stairs anxious to exit the roof. Wayne took it upon himself to put people at ease and direct people to the double doors that led to the stairwell. They were instructed to meet downstairs for debriefing by the FBI. Two agents accompanied the group. Wayne had his arm around a shaken Marie Osmond as they started down the stairs. Tenaya, Lucy and the Bard remained behind and discussed their next move.
 
The Bard Spoke, "I hope it's not a Catholic school. I don't want to tangle with any nuns. They're mean. If you see a ruler in their hands, run! My knuckles ain't been right since the third grade."
 
Lucy smiled, "You went to Catholic school?"
 
"Oh God no. That kind of thing would warp a kid's mind. I was home schooled in Iceland. Well, actually it was a wine cellar. Dad was a connoisseur… how you say… ah yes…-stinking drunkario."
 
Tenaya didn't seem in the mood for amusement. "We need to find out what school and where. They had to have watching the show. If I were them, I'd be long gone. I'd be on the road already." She grabbed her phone, "Yes, they are supposed to be hidden in a local abandoned school nearby. I'm guessing flight. Yes… roadblocks… all exits out of town. Yes, but I'm guessing they go north. Nothing but heat between here and L.A… nowhere to hide. Winston is military. God only knows where he has men and supplies hidden. We need to grab those kids before they reach any kind of haven. Before! We don't want another Waco on our hands."
 
The three of them headed downstairs.

 
~~~~~~~~The press conference in front of Caesar's
 

"Mr. Newton, Mr. Newton. Was your own life in danger at any point?"
 
Wayne Newton kept his cool. "All of the hostages were in danger. But, the finest members of law enforcement were on the scene. They had our backs from the moment we arrived on the roof. Of course, I was scared. This isn't a movie where the director yells, "Cut!" I'm no star up on that roof. I'm just a man in trouble like all these other brave men and women that went through this. Like my friend, Marie, here. There's your heroes right there. They're the one's with they're lives on the line." Wayne pointed at the Bard, Tenaya and Lucy as they came out the front doors of Caesar's.
 
The news crews rushed up to the three of them like an angry winter wave rushing to shore. "You were on the roof and captured the hostage taker. How did you do it?"
 
As Lucy and Tenaya rolled their eyes, the Bard took center stage. "This is Vegas, baby. You don't roll into Wayne's town and hassle Wayne. What is ya… craaaaazzzzzzzy? Once I saw they had the Newtonator with them I knew we'd be workin' together. Then ya add Marie to the mix… whooooo hoooooo. It's on and crackin, Vegas style! Well, we struck up the band and those bumpkins never seen showmanship like that… right in their face baby! OOOOOOHHHHHH YEAH! Wayne and Marie, baby. Those fools were easy pickens. We dusted off our six shooters and took out the trash. Twern't nothin' to it."
 
Lucy and Tenaya each grabbed an arm and dragged the Bard away. He kept up his speech even as the news people turned their attention back to Wayne and Marie. "Vegas baby! Wayne's town. That's right. See ya at the midnight show. Shrimp cocktail… ALL YOU CAN EAT! Nude all the time… the shrimp that is… not Wayne… oh no… he don't work blue… family show…"
 

~~~~~~~The 12th floor

 
Barry heard the commotion and noticed that no one was in Winston's room any longer. Whatever interest they once had, apparently had been satisfied. He walked down the deserted hall to Winston's wide-open room and picked up Samson who was nibbling on a salmon pate. He put Samson in his carrier with a bowl of water and the pate and made his way to the elevators.
 
He pushed down and noted that the elevator was already on its way down from the twenty-third floor. He hid out of sight, just in case someone was on it he didn't want to see. When the doors opened he saw a young couple, a man in a Rascal motorized personal transport and a hotel employee. "Hold" he called out. They did, and he entered the elevator, exiting on the ground floor. He went to his car unnoticed and took off.
 

~~~~~~~~The hills near the abandoned school
 

Panic began to set in among the kids. They were somewhat free, but behind them was Elsa and ahead of them were Elsa's men. The path to the city was blocked by those that would capture and imprison them. But, there appeared to be nothing in the other direction, just endless hills. There didn't even appear to be a hiding place to discover. A confrontation seemed inevitable. A rescue seemed unlikely; no one knew they were there as far as they knew. Seven children were no match for five or six adults. They might even have weapons. They didn't have so much as a decent size rock or tree branch.
 
Trip had an idea. "The only voice I hear coming from behind is Elsa's. I hear more than one voice from up ahead, all men. I say we head towards Elsa and kill the bitch and take her car."
 
"Kill her? But, how? We have no weapons. What if she has a gun? Who can drive a car?" Judy looked as scared and ready to quit as she had earlier.
 
Angela spoke, "I can drive a damn car, no problem. We'll just beat the hell out of her. There's seven of us. Don't be afraid of her. She's just an old bag."
 
Trip took up the banner. "That's right. I'm not afraid of that old bitch. I'll knock her out. We run back, take the car, and get out of here. Then we tell them where the others are. This can't go on. I'm not going back. Let's go. Let's do this!" He took off in the direction of Elsa's voice.
 
Angela followed. She looked back and shouted, "Come in! Let's get her!"
 
The rest of the children, for whatever reason, probably fear, soon followed. Adrenaline was in high supply.
 
Within a few minutes, the children came upon Elsa. She was with Carlos, a tall but slender man that had a vicious streak. He seemed to enjoy punishing the children and was extra rough any chance he got.
 
Trip called out, "Everyone jump on Carlos, he's the one to get."
 
Carlos had a sneer on his face. If he was worried about what seven young teen and pre-teen children might be able to do, he didn't show it. Elsa, on the other hand, showed fear. She had never seen any signs of rebellion from the children.



 




I've slowed down the posting pace. Notice any difference? Or should I go back to a quicker pace? Appreciate all the suggestions and input as always!! Thank you!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.