Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 6, 2014 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Bard plans his move, The kids run for the hills.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

The Bard's Hat, Kids On the Run

by michaelcahill




Background
Bel Air has moved to Vegas while the detectives try to find missing kids. Millions involved. The Bard is in the middle with poetry and other skills.
Previously, Winston had taken over the roof of Caesar's Palace with several hostages including Wayne Newton and Marie Osmond. Tenaya, Lucy, and the Bard, anticipating his move had already established position on the rooftop. The roof was surrounded and helicopter traffic was restricted. Wayne Newton assissted the team in getting a better position on Winston by helping to create a diversion. In a surprise move, the Bard snuk in and joined the hostages seated on the roof. We join the story now as Wayne keeps an eye on Winston and the Bard and tries to let Tenaya and Lucy know when they can make a move.



The Bard grabbed a hat from off the head of an older lady seated next to him. It had large yellow daisies around the brim and was made of straw. She clearly did not appreciate having her hat removed. The Bard reassured her, "It's okay, I'm a professional."
 
Wayne kept glancing over at the Bard a bit nervously. The Bard continued to reassure him with winks, thumbs up and peace signs. Wayne kept doing classic double takes making sure that Winston wasn't looking. The Bard was impressed with his obvious professionalism.
 
Lucy and Tenaya had a clear picture of what the play would be. The Bard had taken it out of their hands. Fortunately, Winston and his four goons didn't have a clue what happened to be up on the roof with him, their focus lay elsewhere. Clearly, the Bard had his eye on Winston. They had clear shots at the four goons and the element of surprise. Back up surrounded the rooftop of Caesar's Palace from every angle.

 
~~~~~~~The twelfth floor
 

Barry had managed to lag behind and escape from the group going to the roof. Winston had more important things on his mind at the time, so he didn't look for Barry. Barry managed to enter an adjoining room and hoped that the search would be confined to the suite that Winston had just vacated. The cat was on its own. Okay… Winston is toast. That's a good thing. What is he in on it for anyway. Damn Elsa! If I get my… Save my ass time here. Gotta find that bitch.

 
~~~~~~~The Twelfth floor Winston's room
 

The meows finally caught someone's ear. Sharon Lackey preferred dogs, both four and two-legged, but any animal in need would find a ready benefactor in her. She located the cat carrier and took out Samson.
 
Samson immediately spilled the beans. "Ya wouldn't believe it lady. These are creeps. I mean real creeps. The one in polyester never grooms himself… well that's not important now. The kids weren't friendly really, but I could see they didn't like it there. Who would out on all that water? No one listened to my input. Do they ever? No. They know everything… Can I get something to eat and ya know a little stroking here? This has been a terrible experience for me and…"
 
Sharon took the cat over to her superior and displayed it. "If only this guy could talk, eh chief?"
 
Sgt. Stouffer, usually a by-the-book hard-ass, made a sound that sent chills down the spine of Agent Lackey. It sounded like a balloon had become human and sprung a leak. "Well, saaaaaayyyyyy. Who is dis itty bitty wheeee teee teeee heeee weeeee leeee looooo liiiiiiii wooooo?"
 
Sharon guessed the answer, "It says Samson on his color, Sir."
 
"Oh, Saaaaaaamssssson. EEEWWWWW, mmmeeeeewwww… mew… mewwwwww. Where's Delilah Mr. Samson Sir?"
 
Samson looked at him with blown pupils, this guy is scary. They wouldn't send me home with this fruitcake would they? Start purrin', chicks dig that. Give her some good cuddles. Yeah baby, ya know it's good. That's the stuff…
  

~~~~~~the streets of Vegas
 

Susan had little trouble disappearing into the crowd and away from the group. The evacuation of Caesar's provided plenty of cover and no one had an eye on her anyway. She had to get a hold of Barry and find out what the hell was going on. A simple exchange of cash and a pick up on Catalina Island had turned into… well whatever one would call the current situation.
 
Barry felt his phone vibrating in his front right pocket. He took it out and saw the name, "Susan" on the screen. "I'm hiding out up here. Can't talk. FBI, right next door. Call you back."
 
"Wait. Just listen.  Where the hell is my daughter? That's all I want to know. This was supposed to be a simple deal. Now, it's turned into a damn… Barry… Barry? Son of a… Barry!" Susan shoved her phone back in her purse and took a cab downtown.
 
Barry stayed put and hoped the FBI wasn't interested in other rooms on the floor.
 

~~~~~~~~The abandoned school
 

Elsa was beside herself watching the television. The scene was surreal. Winston, her partner, pranced around on the roof of Caesar's Palace with a group of hostages. There was Wayne Newton and Olivia Osmond or whatever her name was. What the hell good could possibly come from this?
 
Angela and the other kids sat in the lunchroom and spoke in hushed tones. No one was paying much attention to them for a change. They were all in what was once the teacher's lounge engrossed in something on television.
 
Angela spoke to Trip in hushed tones, "This may be the only chance we have to escape. What do you think?"
 
Trip turned pale. "We can't escape. We don't even know where we are. They find us there is no telling, Angela. Are you nuts?"
 
"You wanna stay here 'till you're sold to who knows who? Not me. Let's go… we'll never get another chance. You and me." Angela looked determined. I'm going either way. I'd rather you came too. But, I'm taking my chances.
 
She looks serious. She just doesn't know what these people can do. "Angela. It is crazy. We'll never make it. They'll make us pay big time when they catch us. And even if we do get away, we don't know where we are. Where would we go?"
 
Angela looked at Elsa and the others gathered around the T.V. They weren't paying any attention to them. She stood up. "I'm going, with or without you." She headed to the back door which was open. She opened it and stepped out. She walked out a few steps into the yard looked around and then started running. Trip was right behind her and so were five other children. They all ran towards the church.
 
They stopped there and looked back. No one was following. The church was empty. Trip looked at the open front door and then at Angela. She shook her head, looked down the road and took off running. Everyone, Trip included, followed her.
 
It was at least five minutes before anyone in the teacher's lounge looked out at the kids. Another group had taken off in a different direction and several where milling around the back door when Elsa marched into the room.
 
"Line up!" She shouted at them.
 
They scrambled into line.
 
Elsa noted that the line was much shorter than it should be. She noted that Angela, her big money maker was not among the gathered. "Where did they go?"
 
The kids stood there in silence.
 
Elsa took a deep breath. "Where did they go!"
 
The kids all spoke at once. They indicated every possible direction short of straight up in the air or straight through the center of the earth. The staff had already gathered up the last few children to run off. Angela, Trip and their group were not among them. They had a large head start. They had left the dirt road and ran into the low rolling hills. They had seen populated areas from atop one of the hills and that is the direction they were heading.
 
Elsa and several staff members jumped into the two vans and one Toyota Camry on the premises and barreled down the dirt road after the missing kids. By motor vehicle, they weren't far behind. In a matter of minutes they had reached the point where the kids had taken off into the hills. Their voices could be heard in the distance. Two of the staff exited the vehicles there to pursue the children on foot. Elsa led the vehicles around the hills to the other side where they would wait and see where the children exited. The trap was set.




 




Things are going on at the same time everywhere! Any suggestions. Slowing down the posts to catch up on the replies and reviews. Well, trying to. Loving your input. Thank you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.