Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 1, 2014 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Winston has hostages on the roof of Caesar's Palace.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Live! From The Roof of Ceasar's!

by michaelcahill




Background
Kidnapping and child trafficking. The Bard is homeless, mentally ill and a great poet. Along with Lucy and Tenaya, they try to save the children. Millions at play.
Previously, the FBI raided Caesar's Palace in hopes of nabbing Winston. But, Winston got the jump on them and made it to the roof of Caesr's with hostages including Wayne Newton and Marie Osmond. We continue now as Winston consider's his options and the FBI considers its. In the meantime, the Bard, Tenaya and Lucy anticipated Winston's move and are already in position on the roof.



Winston was not happy. He had no idea that the FBI had a bead on him here in Las Vegas. Dammit! I have to get off this damn roof. They're not going to risk Wayne Newton. Ha! They'd never live that down. The other one too. She's pretty famous. Nancy Osmond. Something. Well, whatever, someone is worried about her too. But, Wayne. Yeah. Bigger than the President. I'm flyin' right outta here. Maybe I'll toss Miss Almond here off the roof… show em I'm serious.
 
Down at the makeshift headquarters Harpster was getting impatient. "Look, let the damn chopper land. Let him make his move. I guarantee you… it won't leave the roof. We have surprise on our side and your sharpshooters surrounding the scene. I know my son. He's going to do something. He's never had any patience. You're going to see bodies flying off that roof. Wayne might be one of them. You need to take some kind of action. He doesn't calm down- he heats up. Get him on the phone. Let me talk to him."
 
A young man in a three-piece suit with a tie in a Windsor knot came running in holding a phone. It was a regular Caesar's Palace courtesy desk phone. Apparently, they were still in range about twenty feet outside the front door. "He's on the phone, sir. It's him, Blackwell."
 
"Hand it over, son. This is Director Knowles, what are your demands?"
 
Winston looked at his phone like he'd like to shoot it. "Demands. Oh hell, Knowles. You got me all wrong. Me and Wayne here just want to take a little eye in the sky tour of this fine city. Now, if you would just let our privately chartered helicopter touch down, we'll be on our way. Oh… yeah… and ah, Mary Osgood will be coming with us."
 
Director Knowles covered his mouth, "Who the hell is Mary Osgood?" Everyone just threw their hands up. "Now, Mr. Blackwell, my concern is the safety of all those people on the roof including yourself, sir. We'd like to end this without any bloodshed. There isn't much you can do up there. How about showing some good faith and letting some of those people go. I'm a reason…"
 
"Look dammit! I'm not up here playin' games. I want my chopper on deck in five minutes or I start tossin' bodies. Get it? Little Sherry Osmont goes first. Then maybe Mr. Vegas here can make a real splash if you know what I mean. Is any of this getting through to you Knowles?"
 
Knowles demeanor changed decidedly. "You get near the edge of the roof; you're takin' about fifty slugs dead center between your eyes. I don't have anyone aiming at your head that isn't a sharpshooter. Now, turn yourself in while there is still a chance."
 
Harpster grabbed the phone. He looked at Knowles in disbelief. With his hand over the phone, he said, "Are you trying to get everyone killed? Don't challenge my son like that. He wasn't a war hero because he scares easy." He took his hand off the receiver, "Son, it's your Dad. Let's work something out here. I can still help you if you'll let me. Where's Angela, Winston? Let's get her home before something happens to her."
 
"Well, Daddy. I thought I blew your ass to smithereens. You and that psycho buddy of yours. I must be getting' soft. Ya see, Pops. I got the King here and the Queen too… Angela? Well, that's my ace, Pops. That's my little ace-in-the-hole. Now you explain to that idiot standing next to you how you don't want anything happening to your precious granddaughter. He seems hell bent on killing a lot of innocent people. I'd hate for my precious little niece to be one of them."
 
While Winston occupied himself on the phone, the Bard, Tenaya and Lucy kept watch from their position. If he could be kept occupied, they could take up a position away from the noise of that turbine and establish some communication. At least one of them had to get to a better position. Most of the hostages were frozen in terror, but Wayne Newton seemed to be in thought. He constantly surveyed the surroundings. He noted shooters on buildings across the boulevard and scanned the roof from time to time anticipating possible assistance.
 
With Winston's back to them and the hostages inattentive, Tenaya decided to try to get his attention. If he knew they were there, he could help with a diversion. As he scanned the area near them, she opened the door slightly. He focused on the door like an eagle. He quickly looked back to verify that Winston was occupied. Tenaya stuck her hand out the bottom of the door and pointed to a position out of view of Winston, but also away from the noise of the turbine. Wayne shook his head in the affirmative and made his way towards Winston.
 
Winston was still talking to Harpster on the phone. Wayne stood nearby waiting. Winston was facing away. Tenaya crept unseen over to the spot she had pointed out followed by Lucy. The Bard crept forward to where the hostages were seated much to the horror of all concerned. There wasn't anything anyone could do about it but watch him nestle in as though he had been there all along. Lucy looked at Tenaya and rolled her eyes. Wayne looked surprised, but didn't know how surprised he should actually be. The Bard was wearing a watch cap and it was pulled down over his ears. He kept his head down and if Winston wasn't looking for him, he probably wouldn't notice… probably. Wayne caught the Bard's eye and gave him a little nod. The Bard flashed him the peace sign. Wayne raised his eyebrows a little, but kept his cool.
 
Tenaya was able to speak softly and not be heard. There was a strong wind washing over the rooftop and the noise of the turbine was still a factor between them and the hostages.
 
Harpster felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw that it was Tenaya. He nudged Knowles and showed him the phone. Knowles shook his head and stepped out of earshot.
 
"This is Knowles. I'm in charge down here."
 
"This is Detective Adrian. I work for Blackwell… Senior. We are in position on the roof. My partner Smaldino is with me and the Ba… uh… Detective Slater is with the hostages disguised as one of them. Hold off any action. We can take him in ourselves. When we give the word, it's a go to take out his men. Don't fire on Winston. He knows where several children are being held, Blackwell Senior's granddaughter among them."
 
Knowles wasn't a man used to taking orders, but saw no other option at the moment. He'd let them make their play and then he'd clean it up if it failed. "Okay, we have your back. You give the word and we're ready to roll. Our players are in place and ready."
 
 
 




How do you like current events? Suggestions or input is always sought and most appreciated. Trying to get caught up with responses, so cutting back on the number of postings for the time being. Thank you for your patience!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.