Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 29, 2014 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The FBI evacuate Caesar's Palace looking for Winston.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Evacuating Caesar's and Wayne Newton

by michaelcahill




Background
Kidnapping and child trafficking. The Bard, mentally ill but quite talented helps try to find the missing kids. Millions on the line.
Previously, Angela finally found out about punishment and what being held captive really meant. For once she began to feel like a hostage. She sat in her room forlorn and wondering where her family was and why they hadn't come for her. We continue now as the announcement for breakfast is made.



Angela heard the loud announcement, "Breakfast!", followed by the loud clapping of hands and the scurrying of feet. Within moments, her feet joined in and she joined the rush to the lunchroom. Janine ignored her as she took a seat with her tray of food next to Trip. Scrambled eggs, sausage, some kind of hash brown potato stuff… whatever… I'm starving. They all began to eat in silence. Angela understood the silence and maintained it.
 
She now began to learn a different language, the subtle language of captivity. She was more attuned to it now. There was a way that someone captive ate a meal. One in captivity ate with gratitude, but not eagerness. You ate with hunger, but not ravenous hunger, just the hunger of one well fed and cared for. There has to be a way out of here. But, here they sit. They don't think so. Why do I? Dammit Dad! How could you let this happen? Poor Nettie. What did I save her for? Trip was right. I should have let her drown. At least it would be over. No! I can't think like that. No! Angela was hungry; she ate her breakfast just like everyone else.
 

~~~~~~Caesars Palace
 

It looked like an invasion except this was Las Vegas, Nevada in the United States of America. So, American soldiers didn't strike the same sense of terror that say Iranian soldiers would. Still, the level of tension was high as Caesar's Palace was evacuated systematically. But, nothing is systematic when it comes to drunken gamblers and partiers from all over the world.
 
No one was happy about following the directions of any of the people in charge. The scene was chaotic in spite of the manpower and the color of authority in which they operated. Every mid-western vacationer putting a quarter in a slot machine left their station in protest. Every blackjack playing southerner drawled an epitaph to any one that would listen. The casino and various restaurants and gift shops emptied out onto the streets accompanied by armed military guard. Once on the street they were free to take their merriment elsewhere. Indeed, they were encouraged to do just that. Most were more than willing, but a good number remained to see whatever the show might be.
 
The FBI waited patiently as the large hotel and casino emptied. Their target was on the twelfth floor. They were there for Winston Blackwell, international fugitive. Kidnappings, child trafficking, and whatever other matters on other people's agendas were of no interest to them. This was not a good thing for an anxious group of people on the eighth floor. It didn't bode well for the other residents on the twelfth floor either. Kidnappings and child trafficking aren't operations that like a lot of light shed on them. This was a super nova of attention.
 
Winston had a head start and was already on the roof. But, the FBI were aware that he would attempt and escape by air. There would be no commandeered helicopter rescue of Winston today. The only way off that roof was in handcuffs, a body bag or a strong wind and the growth of wings.
 
Winston had another option in mind. He took hostages on his way to the roof. Between him, his four men and Barry they had twenty-one people on the roof with them. For God's sake, they had Wayne Newton and Marie Osmond with them among the twenty-one hostages. There were other prominent business people as well, not as well known, but rich and of interest to their multi-national corporations. These were not hostages that could be factored in as percentages of expendables. Winston had a negotiable position.
 
The Bard, Tenaya and Lucy were on the roof as well. They knew Winston. They saw the scene unfolding and knew what his play would be. There was a large structure that housed a giant turbine fan that sat atop the structure. They were inside of it in position behind Winston. They were completely on their own. Nothing could be heard above the noise of the turbine engine. They couldn't communicate due to the interference. It was even difficult to talk to each other.
 

~~~~~The Eighth Floor
 

The expected knock came and Harpster and the others were ready to go.
 
A marine reservist stood at the door when Diamond opened it. "Ma'am, we need everyone downstairs immediately. Does anyone need assistance?"
 
Diamond said, "What is going on?"
 
"It's a security issue ma'am. That is all I can tell you. Leave your belongings. You can return for them later. We need everyone out now."
 
They started to file out. It would do no good to try to explain anything to this soldier. He couldn't make any decisions.
 
Harpster asked, "Who is in charge that I can speak to. My granddaughter has been kidnapped and that is why we are here?"
 
"They'll take care of all your questions once you are out of the building sir. That is all I can tell you."
 
About ten minutes later they were all outside. Attempts to contact the Bard and Tenaya were futile. They answered, but the signal was lost in seconds. Harpster began to look for someone in charge.
 

~~~~~FBI Command center
 

Harpster was stopped as he approached the command center. "Sir, there is no unauthorized personnel beyond this point."
 
"Look, I was in the military, son. I understand you have orders. I need to talk to someone in charge. The man you are after is my son. He is involved in kidnapping my daughter and child trafficking and God knows what else. I'm sure he'd want to talk to me. Tell him that Johnathon Harpster Senior wishes to speak with him urgently."
 
"Very well, sir. Wait here."
 
A couple minutes went by and the young soldier returned. "Follow me."
 
Harpster followed him into a room full of men and up to a man with an old-fashioned looking phone up to his ear. He was shouting instructions into it. "I don't want him to see anything. I want our best sharpshooter set up across the street. Use the choppers as diversions. Keep his eyes focused on that. Dammit, he's got Wayne Newton up there. I don't want that on my record for God's sake. Wayne Newton, do you hear me. Jesus Q Christ, it may as well be Elvis back from the dead. I want that jackass taken out, period."
 
"Sir, here's Mr. Blackwell."
 
"Listen, Blackwell. Is there anything you can say to that boy of yours? We got ourselves a situation here. He has got Wayne Newton up on that roof and that other girl too… what's her name? Well, it doesn't matter. I'm talking Mr. Vegas himself. Do you realize that I couldn't go home if something happened to him? My wife would divorce me. She loves him. She'd walk over my corpse to get his autograph. Now, what are we gonna do about that damn boy of yours?"
 
"As far as I'm concerned you can blow him to kingdom village. Look, maybe this will help. Wayne's a personal friend. So, when this is all over, I'll have Wayne take her horseback riding. My granddaughter's been kidnapped and my sweet baby boy knows where she is. So, I'd prefer you'd take him alive. I have people on the roof already to take him out. Why don't you hold off and let them do what they do."
 
"People? What people? I've got the marines and the full power of the FBI here. What people do you have?"
 
"I have the people that stopped him before. May I remind you that your people let him get away."
 
"Okay, Blackwell. If you have people in position then we'll work with them. We'll give them a chance. I'm keeping our men deployed. He's special forces, he knows the score. We need to be in position. Besides, the distraction can only help your people. We know about the trafficking. We'll do everything we can to find your granddaughter. He's the tip of the iceberg when it comes to trafficking. That's a world-wide web."



 




Moving right along. Been busy, busy. Trying to get back on track. Suggestions, critique and ideas most welcome!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.