General General posted June 25, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A boy wanting to know how Father's Day became a holiday.

Father's Day (Revived 6/11/19)

by artisart4u

One evening around  Father's Day a young boy who lived in the state of Virginia mentioned to his dad that he was going to do a report on how Father's Day became a holiday. "Can you help me?" He asked his father.

His dad laid his newspaper down and said after sighing, "Well son,  I don't know  but I'll find out."  So, after days of searching through his newspapers and magazines,  he found an article that his son might be able to use.

Son  the father said,  "I found an article in the Roanoke Star  that might  be of interest to  you."

His son grinned as he  took the paper to read the article, he skimmed over it and then said, "This is great, it tells how fathers were thought of  for years and how President Richard Nixon in 1972 signed the proclamation making Father's Day a federal  holiday."

"Thanks son, you better run along and get started on your report,"  he said after patting his son on the shoulders.     
 

This is a summation of what he read :
On July 5, 1908, in West Virginia a church sponsored the nation's first event explicitly in honor of fathers with a Sunday sermon in memory of the 362 men who had died in the previous December explosions at coal mines in Monongah.

"In 1916,  President Wilson honored the day by using telegraph signals to unfurl a flag in Spokane when he pressed a button in Washington, D.C."

"In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge urged state governments to observe Father's Day."  

During the 20's and 30's, a movement wanted to combine Mother's Day and Father's Day and call it Parents'  Day.

When World War II began, advertisers found a way to make a profit.
 
In 1972, in spite of a hard presidential re-election campaign, and years of groups discussing how it could benefit everyone, the proclamation was signed.   


 



Recognized


*I had this out before but since it is near Father's Day, I decided to revive it.

This was taken from an article in the "Roanoke Star" back in June of 2012 titled "The Origins of Father's Day."
***********************************************************
I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did when I first read it in the newspaper I bought.
Instead of saving the whole paper, I cut this article out and put it in my scrapbook.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. artisart4u All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
artisart4u has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.