Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 20, 2014 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The kids arrive at the abandoned school, the cat at Caesar's

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

The Kids Arrive & So Does the Cat

by michaelcahill




Background
Kidnapping and child trafficking. A mentally ill poetic homeless man assists in the investigation. Millions of dollars at play.
Previously, the Bard and Lucy tailed Barry up the 15 freeway towards Las Vegas. Winston checked into the 12th floor of Caesar's Palace. Tenaya, Lucy and the Bard and the rest of their party checked into the 8th floor of Caesar's Palace. Elsa and Angela and the other children were on their way to the school that housed the children and due to arrive soon. We continue now as the children arrive at the abandoned school.



~~~~~~~~The Children Arrive at All Souls
 

The vans had blacked out windows with no markings on the outside, one blue and one dark green. The drivers were both named Juan. Juan Anton drove the van with Elsa and Angela in it. Juan Uribe drove the other van with Gretchen Moore, one of the caretakers of the children, as well as the other four children. The vans had a ten-minute gap between them and made sure they didn't stop at the same establishments for bathroom breaks and to pick up food.
 
All of the children knew the consequences of making a scene. Even Angela, who hadn't felt the sting of discipline, could deduce from the behavior of the others that stepping out of line was not to be advised. The drive had been grueling and uncomfortable for the children. All speed limits and traffic laws were obeyed so as to not draw attention. It had been a seven-hour ride by the time they reached the dirt road that led to the abandoned school. The service road encircled the school and the vans, still ten minutes apart, drove all the way to the very back of the school, farthest from the church. They couldn't be seen from any angle. The back buildings were no longer visible, due to the overgrown and unkept vegetation, including untrimmed oak trees and wildly growing wisteria vines.
 
By the time Angela arrived at the school, the other van had already emptied out and the children were inside. She, Trip and another girl her age named Sunny were in the second van. Sunny wasn't her real name. She had told Angela her real name, Salarjung, but explained that no one could remember it, so they all called her Sunny. It was a Muslim name that meant beautiful, she explained and added, "but I don't feel beautiful at all, not anymore." Angela offered reassurance, but it had little impact.
 
Angela exited the van and looked around. This is a long way from the ocean and a long way from Bel Air… what's the use. I have no idea where I am.
 
Elsa sounded tired. "Angela, over here." She motioned to a double door that opened to a wide hallway with classrooms on either side.
 
The sounds coming from them were hushed. Elsa opened a door about halfway down the hall. 108, Angela noted. She motioned her inside. Angela noted that the room had no one else in it. There were three beds, a fan, a radio and a three-drawer dresser with a brush and a mirror sitting on top. There were some clothes hanging in a cheap stand-alone closet with no door.
 
It occurred to Angela to ask questions. Ultimately, a sense of captivity overcame her and she sat down on the bed in resignation. Where is my family? I thought they were rich and powerful. Maybe the price is too high. With Grandpa gone and daddy in jail… who knows? That lady doesn't know me. Ruby… why would she care… Mom never did… maybe she's in on it. I know who Barry is, Mom. I knew when I was seven… Uncle Barry… right.
 

~~~~~~the 15 freeway north
 

Barry exited the 15 and headed towards the strip. Lucy and the Bard sped up to get closer.
 
Lucy checked in with Tenaya. "We have him going down the strip now. We're trying to get a little closer. We're about a block behind. It looks like he knows where he's going. We'll stay on his tail and let you know where that is."
 
Tenaya moved away from the noise in the room, "Okay, stay on him. Once he leaves that cat somewhere, we lose him. That chip could pass through that damn cat anytime. Maybe it already did. We may be tracking a cat carrier for all we know. Try to maintain visual on Barry. We can't rely on that chip. It's a miracle it got us this far."
 
"We're on it. We have visual now. He's heading straight for you. He's in Caesar's parking lot. I don't believe it. He's heading into Caesars Palace. He's taking the cat with him. Good boy, Barry. Don't want to leave that cat."
 
Lucy looked at the Bard, "Does Barry know you?"
 
"You mean like Biblically? Well… I'm blushing… I told him GET your hands off me you damn dirty ape, but I guess he thought that I was flirting… but, no he hasn't met me. I've seen him. Maybe, he's seen me. It's possible that he might recognize my small, but supple breasts and who wouldn't fall into eyes like these?"
 
Lucy smiled, "Okay, I think we should split up. You hang back and observe from a distance. I know he doesn't know me. I'll follow him. Okay?"
 
"I'm your huckleberry."
 
Barry was at the check-in counter talking to a young man that he had motioned over. Lucy noticed him slipping a bill to him.
 
Barry looked around as though he were committing a felony. "Tommy, I need to know what room Elsa checked into. I forgot the room number and I have her damn cat here. She's gonna be pissed if I don't get it to her and right now. Can you help me out?"
 
Tommy had worked at Caesar's for several years and knew Barry and Elsa well. They had stayed there many times. She had told him not to tell anyone that she was there. But here was Barry, and here was her cat. And more importantly, here was a hundred dollar bill in his hand. "She's on the twelfth floor, the Emperor Suite. She isn't there though. She hasn't arrived yet. The rest of her party's there though. They've already checked in. Business types. No Elsa, yet."
 
Barry thought that he smiled when he thanked him, but he didn’t. "Okay thanks, good to see you again, Timmy."
 
Tommy thought of correcting him, but he didn't bother. Jackass… All of em. Jackasses.
 
Barry headed to the elevators. Lucy followed and the Bard followed, a safe distance behind her. Lucy indicated twelve behind her back with one hand. She flashed five twice and two once and hoped the Bard understood. He didn't, but he saw the light to the 12th floor light up above the elevator and took the next one.
 

~~~~~~~~The Emperor Suite on the 12th floor
 

Barry had the cat carrier in his left hand. His right hand knocked on the door to the Emperor Suite and then slipped inside his coat to where his colt revolver was. He waited for someone to answer the door. Winston looked through the peephole and then opened the door.
 
"Barry, good to see you. I'm glad you found your way here. I figured you would. I don't know what that bitch was thinking panicking like that. I told her to wait. She's got a damn screw loose. I was ready to send out the other boats to rescue you. But, I should have known you'd take care of yourself. How bout a drink?"
 
Barry was totally taken aback, just like Winston planned him to be. "Ah… yeah… sure… that sounds good. Long drive. Could use a… drink."
 
"I see you've got her stupid cat with you. Good. I'm sick of hearing about it. She'll be here in a couple hours. She's situating the kids. Then the tearful reunion!" He let out with some fake laughter and Barry joined in.
 
Lucy had arrived in time to see Barry go into the room. She waited for the next elevator so she could go back down. When it opened, the Bard was standing there ready to step out.
 
Lucy stepped in and pressed eight. "Winston."



 




Rolling along. Appreciating all of your suggestions. Please keep them coming. I can't tell you how much they help. Thank you so much!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.