Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 15, 2014 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Chip technology, reservations on the private jets.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Vegas Bound

by michaelcahill




Background
A kidnapping puts all trials on hold. The Bard, a homeless poetry spouting mentally ill man seems to always be in the middle of things.
Previously, Barry showed up to return Elsa's cat but the yacht was gone. He left Catalina Island via the ferry, got his car and made a bee line to Vegas. The cat still had the micro chip in its system and they were being tracked. It was time to determine whether following him to Vegas was the next move. We continue the story now as the debate continues.



~~~~~~The Blackwell Mansion
 
Well, they knew where one member of the child-selling cartel was, Samson the cat. Junior thought back to that scene in the vets when Angela threw her spoiled-rich-girl fit.
 
~~~~~~~The Bel Air Animal Clinic: Two Years Earlier
 
"Daddy, I want a chip for Beauregard. What if he gets lost. I'd be so sad. All the other pets here have chips. Their mommy's and daddy's care about them. No one care's about my pet." Angela put her hands over her face and began sobbing. The cries carried through the waiting room and everyone there fixed their eyes on Johnathon Blackwell Junior.
 
Angela had completely dry eyes and made a scene strictly out of spite. She knew her father didn't even want to be there with her to begin with. A little punishment was in order as she saw it.
 
"Okay. Okay! Of course, we'll put a chip in Belvedere."
 
"It's Beauregard. You don't even know his name." The cries became louder now.
 
"Yes. Beauregard, I mean. Beauregard." Junior jumped up and went to the receptionist's window. "I need a chip put in my daughter's pet rat."
 
"Sir, the smallest one we have is designed for a kitten… I don't think it would even… "
 
"Look, I don't care what it costs or where you put it. I need a chip in that rat. Now, tell the vet to get on it."
 
"Well, hold on a minute, sir. I'll talk to him."
 
A couple minutes later, the door opened and they were called back. Dr. Kartoonian took Junior to the side, "This is the latest in technology. It is for police dogs. But, if you are willing to pay for it, we can insert it right above the thigh of her pet near the breastbone. It will fit there. It seems silly to… "
 
"Just do it Doc."
 
Twenty minutes later Beauregard was brought out to the waiting room, chip installed, none the worse for wear. The need to have state of the art GPS tracking on a pet rat was not apparent at the time.
 
~~~~~~~Current Time: Back at the Mansion
 
Tenaya had a question for no one in particular. "Isn't that damn chip going to pass through the cat at some point?"
 
Lucy laughed, "It would seem like the logical next step."
 
The Bard looked reflective, "You don't suppose Barry is a cat shit connoisseur do you?"
 
Diamond found that to be quite amusing and let a big laugh out.
 
Junior started to speak, but caught the Bard looking at him presumably ready to silence him and thought better of it.
 
Tenaya said, "So where is the cat now?"
 
Lucy answered, "Heading north on the 15."
 
"Vegas." Tenaya looked at a hand held tracking device.
 
"Yep. Or, Death Valley. But, I'm betting Vegas." Lucy seemed hesitant to offer a suggestion.
 
Harpster offered up what everyone was thinking, "Hell, we can't just follow it. What if we're on our way to Vegas and the kidnappers call to leave the money here in Bel Air? We're stuck here until we get that damn phone call."
 
Tenaya wasn't so sure. "I don't know. Something happened to change the game. It looks to me like Barry's been cut out of the picture. He leaves the vet, goes to the docks, takes off out to sea. Then what? He shows up at Catalina, hops the ferry, grabs his car and takes off to Vegas with the cat. Why didn't he give the cat back to Elsa? Hell, she obviously sent him to fetch it. See what I'm saying? She wasn't there to receive it. She got called away or she just plain dumped his ass and took off. If that's the case, the play is in Vegas. Why the hell else would Barry go there? I say we go there. That is where Angela is. I feel it."
 
Susan slipped out of the room. She thought she left unnoticed, but everyone noticed. Tenaya had succeeded in putting her at ease by having Lucy side with her. But, Susan remained at the top of their list."
 
Lucy already had her listening device on pointed in the direction Lucy left in.
 
"Damn it Barry, what in hell is going on? Where is my daughter? I thought you had this under control. Where the hell are you going? What? You've got to be… Christ, Barry. You better find out where the hell… I'm putting this on vibrate… text me. I'll call back when I can. You best… Yeah, okay. You best find her, dammit. This was supposed to be a simple money deal. If anything… Barry? Barry? Shit!" Susan put her phone in her purse and made her way back to the study where everyone continued to discuss the situation.
 
Tenaya pretended not to notice her coming back. After a couple minutes, she turned to Susan. "What do you think? Should we wait here or go to Vegas?"
 
"I don't know. Like I said. I don't think Barry could possibly be involved. But, if you think Vegas is the best bet, then that's what you should do. I just want my baby back."
 
Lucy looked to Harpster, "You have all the money?"
 
 Harpster looked to Ruby.
 
Ruby replied, "All cash, small bills." She nodded towards a green duffel bag sitting on the floor beside her.
 
Harpster stood up, "He can fly the jet. Twenty-minute flight. Take off." He gestured to the Bard.
 
Tenaya took the keys, nodded to Ruby, Lucy and the Bard headed out the door with them. They were on their way to Burbank Airport where the Blackwell Publishing private jet was housed. They'd be in Vegas within the hour depending on street traffic. They'd beat Samson the cat there and Barry too, assuming he was with the cat.
 
Before they even opened the front door, Susan's cell phone rang. Diamond flicked the various switches that activated the recording equipment. The detectives and Ruby paused at the door.
 
Susan took a deep breath and answered. "Hello, Susan Blackwell."
 
"Caesar's Palace… get there and check in. No cops. Bring the money. We will contact you there."
 
Susan shook her head indicating they hung up.
 
Harpster spoke again, "I have two jets, let's go."
 



 




action moves to Las Vegas.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.