Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 13, 2014 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Lucy and the Bard attempt to rescue Nettie.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

To The Rescue!

by michaelcahill




Background
Trials have been put aside as Angela is kidnapped. A child selling scheme is now part of the mix. The Bard is in the middle as is millions of dollars.
Previously, Lucy and the Bard arrived at the vet just in time to see Barry going in the front door. Twenty minutes later, he came out with the cat and headed towards the Long Beach pier. They tailed him. They observed him talking to a man in front of a docked yacht and overheard with Lucy's listening device that there was a girl on board. Barry left out to sea and Lucy decided that they would not wait for back up to arrive. She felt that the girl was in immediate danger. We resume the story now as Lucy and the Bard approach the yacht.


Lucy knew from experience that the two of them raiding a yacht full of partiers of unknown origin wasn't the safest bet. She knew that some of them were willing to participate in pedophilia. Any one on that yacht could be armed. But, there was a girl in trouble and it could be Angela, they didn't know. There was no time to wait. The Bard seemed always ready to jump into a fray.
 
They arrived at the ramp leading up to the boat and started walking. No one paid any notice of them. Lucy wasn't dressed to the nines, but she wasn't that out of place, as some were dressed in casual attire suitable for the beach. They made it to the deck and attempted to blend in with the crowd, looking for the man that Barry had spoken to. He didn't seem to be topside.
 
Lucy and the Bard had to get below deck to where the action was. The question was, should they just slip below and leave the top to the back up on its way, or make their move right now top side.

"We've got to get to that girl now", she whispered to the Bard, "through that door… looks like the stairwell down… that's our play".
 
The Bard nodded his head and took the lead. The door was open. The stairwell was dimly lit and led to a large room that was empty. It was a master bedroom, perhaps. Laughter could be heard from a room off to the right, but no screams or any other sounds. Lucy drew her revolver and nodded to the Bard. He opened the door and rolled into the room in one motion, as Lucy stepped in with her gun drawn.
 
"No one move! Hands on top of your heads and move up against that wall." She indicated the wall to her left by nodding her head. Nettie lay on the bed in a flimsy negligee, heavily drugged and seemingly unaware of what was taking place. From a side room two men burst forth firing their handguns. Lucy dropped the first one as he fired his first round, which missed. He shot a second round, which hit a man lined up against the wall who slumped to the ground. He wasn't able to get off a third shot; he was dead before he hit the ground.
 
From his position on the ground, the Bard was able to kick the shooting arm of the second gunman and his first shot hit the ceiling of the bedroom. Lucy had him at gunpoint and crawling to the wall a moment later. In the melee, Abdullah bolted for the door and made it to the stairwell. Lucy nodded to the Bard indicating she had control of the situation.
 
Abdullah pushed his way through the panicked crowd and jumped off the side of the yacht into the harbor. The Bard reached the top deck just in time to witness him jump. The Long Beach Police were already on their way down the pier, responding to Lucy's call for backup, and several 911 calls, when the Bard dove in after Abdullah.
 
Sgt. Lackey came upon Lucy holding six men against the wall with one prone and moaning in a pool of blood. Nettie was still on the bed in a cloud. Sgt. Lackey called out up the stairs, "Get the medics down here, we have a victim. And send officer Gabriella pronto!"
 
In moments, a young female officer flew down the stairs. Sgt Lackey motioned to Nettie and Officer Gabriella rushed to scoop her up. Lucy looked at her plaintively.
 
Officer Gabriella caught Lucy's eye and smiled at her, "She hasn't been touched."
 
Lucy finally allowed a faint smile to creep across her face. She nodded to the officer and then returned her attention to the scum lined up against the wall. But, you were all ready too… weren't you… pigs.
 
Officers came down to secure the crime scene as Sgt. Lackey interviewed Lucy. The officers on the top deck were having a field day making arrests for various misdemeanors and felonies ranging from simple possession to felony racketeering warrants. Several partygoers had to be fished out of the waters of Long Beach Harbor.
 
One criminal never did see the surface again. Abdullah's body was found later that day close to where he dived in the water, about twenty feet down being nibbled on by a few local crabs.
 
Sgt. Lackey couldn't help but be amused by his interview of the Bard. Lucy had already clued him in that the Bard had a few eccentricities. "Now, when you opened the door where the little girl was being held, tell me in your own words what happened."
 
"My words? Hmm. Let's see. I had a whole routine prepared with dancing bears and impersonations… But, okay… I opened the door and rolled in so that the Goddess Lucy would have a clear shot at the percolators. She caught them with their naughty nickers down you see. Then the evil twins pop out from behind door number two… poor sports… firing… Lucy drops one… he shoots a bad guy before he dies… I got a kick out of the next guy and Lucy has his attention and then the creepy guy runs for it. He ran away."
 
Sgt. Lackey found this all a great deal of fun and was the kind of cop that still had a sense of humor and a sense of humanity. "And you pursued him?"
 
"Yes. I invented the Olympics you know… well, you aren't going to believe that one. Yes, he dove off the side of the boat and with the utmost of concern for my fellow citizen of earth I asked Clarence what to do and he said "Go get Zuzu's petals" and I said "my mouth's bleedin' Burt" and I dove in after him and he saved me by making me try to save him. But, he didn't get his wings cause you can't fly under water. You just drown cause they weigh you down."
 
Sgt. Lackey chuckled. "So, you dove in after him, but you couldn't find him and he drowned. Is that about the size of it?"
 
"My God! That is so concise and to the point. You should spend more time with me. I'm so misunderstood." The Bard saluted the Sgt. turned and went looking for Lucy.
 
The Bard found Lucy by her car waiting for him. "How's the little girl?"
 
Lucy smiled.
 
The Bard didn't even let her get a word out. "She has you to thank, Supergirl. Your instincts were right on the money. We couldn't have waited another minute." He bowed deeply to her.
 
"You were rather heroic yourself. Is that a Rolex? Where did you find that?"
 
"Do you believe in mermen? It started out as a movie about a man that turned into a fish. You remember Barney Fife right. Well, Opie went on to do Happy Days and went bald, but Barney see, he became a fish and gave me this watch. He was in the water when that poor guy drowned. Of course, I tried to save him, but he was a low life and I can't swim so I guess in all the excitement I held him under water too long. Well some of this is too obscure. But just know this; these days are ours… share them with me." He grabbed her hand and gave it a kiss. She didn't quite catch all the references, but she was charmed nonetheless.




All suggestions and input appreciated and looked forward too. Thank you so much. I always consider all input.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.