Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 11, 2014 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Samson the cat is a very popular critter.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Destination Long Beach

by michaelcahill




Background
Millions of dollars, children in jeopardy, a crazy poetic homeless man and two sharp detectives. And much, much more.
Previously, a deal was made for Nettie who jumped in the ocean. Angela saved her and spared Barry the trouble of saving her himself. Samson the cat chased Angela's pet rat on to Abdullah's boat and dined on him. The cat was discovered on their boat as they made their way to Long Beach. They left the cat at the vets with a note saying to call Elsa. The note was misplaced and the vet discovered the rats micro chip now inside the cat and contacted Susan. The Bard and Lucy headed towards the vet to follow up. We join the story now as one of the workers at the vets finds the note.


Trinidad Vivaldi took out the trash every afternoon right after clean up. He had worked for the clinic for six months and loved his job. No one would hire him because of his facial deformities. They never said that, but what else could it be? He had above average intelligence, education and ability. He noticed the note lying by the back door as he took the two bags of trash to the outdoor bin. He picked it up on his way back in. He paused at the back door and read it.


This kitte belongs to Elsa 626-734-7683.

 
"I found this note by the back door. Maybe it goes with that cat you found this morning."
 
Dr. Fry took a look at the note. "I don't know. Its certainly not a kitten, not that they spelled kitten correctly."
 
Trin, as everyone called him, said, "I believe it is Arabic. Kitte', it means cat. My roommate was from Kuwait."
 
"Hmm. Well, this cat is a mystery. A chip that says it belongs in Bel Air to a lady that says it should be a rat. Now, the mysterious Arabic note saying it belongs to Elsa. Well, we call the mysterious Elsa now, yes? You never knew this job could be so exciting did you Trin."
 
Trin smiled a crooked, but engaging smile.
 
"No answer… I'm leaving a message… Shhh… This is Dr. Fry at the Long Beach Animal Hospital. We have a cat here that may be yours. It was left at our back door with a note that had your name and phone number on it. If you could be so kind as to give us a call back and let us know when you could pick it up. Our number here is 818-446-9822.  We close at six o'clock."
 
The bell went off at the front door indicating a customer.
 
"We'll there's our drama for the day. On to paying business. We have a surgery today at one o'clock, so the operating room needs to be spotless, Trin."
 
Activity resumed at the Long Beach Animal Hospital. Samson reclined in a small but adequate cage with some boring kibble and a bowl of water. A nap seemed to be a sensible answer to the whole mess.

 
~~~~~~~The Yacht at sea

 
Elsa waited for the call to finish before checking her voice mail. Criminals never answer calls from numbers they don't recognize. There was more than a little apprehension as she listened to her messages. Finally she got to the one that had just called.
 
She looked relieved and angered at the same time. It had the effect of making her look like she had tasted an exotic new food and found it tasted like baked brahma bull turds. In her case, it was a negative reaction. "Barry!" She waited as though even a moments delay was an excruciatingly long time.
 
A few moments went by and Barry plodded up to her. "What is it?"
 
"My damn cat is in Long Beach. My precious Samson must've jumped on the boat with those awful Arab people. They just dropped him off there it looks like. I'll remember that, you can count on it. Be a peach and go get him for me." Elsa attempted to look kittenish. She managed furry, but cuddly seemed to be missing from the equation.
 
Barry had a habit of blurting. "What? Are you kidding? You want me to go all the way to Long Beach to pick up a damn cat?"
 
Winter came early to the deck of the boat and struck first in the vicinity of Barry. He could feel her breath like the cannisters of nitrogen they use in science fiction movies to spray steel making it brittle so it can be shattered.

Barry spoke again before she could deliver a blow that would reduce him to a pile of rubble on the deck,  "Of course, I know you love the little guy. I can't believe those slobs didn't turn right around and bring him back. Do you need anything from town while I'm there?"
 
Elsa smiled, "Perhaps you could find me a man."
 
Barry laughed nervously at that. "I guess I'll have to stop holding back. I warned you."
 
He jumped in the small speed boat and began the ninety minute trip to Long Beach.
 
Angela had discovered that there was an air vent near the bow of the ship where people usually congregated topside. It was dark and she could hide there and hear conversations clearly, almost like she was topside with them. She heard the exchange and made note of it. It chilled her. Elsa seemed to be in charge. She didn't like that one bit. She felt like she had some control with Barry. She doesn't have a human heart. She's evil. He's an idiot… greedy… but, he doesn't like hurting… she likes it.
 
Angela heard the familiar ring of Elsa's cell phone and strained her ears towards the sound.
 
"Elsa. Yes… I sent him to Long Beach for my cat. Yes. Yes, of course he went. He had no choice. I'm losing patience. I feel like a target sitting here. The sooner we get the money and get rid of these two, the better. No, she knows nothing. She has him fooled though. But, I'm on my toes with that one. She's sharp. But, a little girl isn't going to get over on me. Too bad, I'd love to train her. But… no… I could never trust one so clever. If Barry doesn't get some action in a day or two, you're going to have to take over. This is taking too long. Okay… Yes… me too." Elsa sighed. It sounded like she was sucking air in rather than letting it out. Angela's level of anxiety grew. It was clear that Barry's plan was not the same as Elsa's plan. Barry wasn't even Elsa's real partner. Whoever she had just talked to was. These kids weren't safe. If there were other boats, those kids weren't safe. She wasn't safe either.

 
~~~~~A boat on the way to Long Beach Harbor

 
Barry had his radio cranked up as he headed to pick up Elsa's cat. Not many people listened to Yanni by choice. Damn. She's getting pushy. Well, I could use a break anyway. I can't wait to get that cash in my hands. Maybe we should split up after… not fond of selling kids really… kind of dirty business really. He looked at his watch, about an hour till I'm there.
 

~~~~~Lucy's car

 
The Bard was singing 'Candyman' in a perfect imitation of Anthony Newley. Lucy was howling with laughter. "Oh! My! God! Who in hell is that? I've never heard anybody sing like that. You've got to be kidding. You're just making that up." She continued to laugh loudly.
 
The Bard stopped momentarily. "He's passed away, it's a heartfelt tribute… it's from the heart… this is my soul, Lucy… deal with it! The candyman makes everything he makes sa tis fy ing aaannnd delicious. Talk about your childhood wi shes…… you can even eat the dishes! Everybody!" They were about an hour from the vet in Long Beach.

 
~~~~~Unknown Author's Room

 
Psssst. I sent Mikey an e-mail saying that Rosie Perez is waiting at WalMart for him. He left this on. This is Beauregard. I wanted to clear a couple things up. Obviously that lazy fat cat, Samson didn't eat me. Here's what really happened: I had to come up with something quick off the top of my head, see? So, Samson comes skidding on to the boat and I'm standing there leaning up against the wall. I'm looking casual and unconcerned. Of course, this boggles his little cat brain (picture a walnut here).
 
He says, "Duh, why are ya standin' there and not runnin' from me?"
 
I tell him, "I've got a proposal for you."
 
He says, "Oh no! The far right was right, Interspecies marriage!" No. Just kidding. I couldn't resist. He said, "Proposal, what kind of proposal?"
 
I said, "You don't want to be known as the cat that killed the beloved little pet rat do you?"
 
"Well, what's wrong with that?"
 
"Believe me, the little girl, Angela, is a doll. People like her. Hurting me is like hurting her. Get it?"
 
"No. But, what do you want to do?"
 
"Get this chip out of my foreleg and swallow it. I'll sneak back on the boat and hook back up with Angela later. That way nobody gets hurt, and the crazy man writing this gets what he wants."
 
"What does he want?"
 
"That's the problem, he doesn't know. Now get this chip out."
 
Anyway, he'll be back soon. I thought you'd like to know the truth. Don't let on I told you. Shhhh... He's back...

 

~~~~~~~The Long Beach Animal Hospital

 
How long am I going to be stuck in this damn cage. I should've eaten that rat...






 




Perhaps you'd like to make some suggestions after all! Well, moving along. I shouldn't be so comforted by the fact that there is the first edit in my future, but... there is the first edit in my future. Please feel free.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.