Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 8, 2014 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Angela tries to get information out of Uncle Barry.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Angela Plays It Cute, Ransom Demands

by michaelcahill




Background
The family is rocked by a kidnapping. The crime seems to be the tip of the iceberg. The Bard is in the middle of things as always. Money is the motivator. There is plenty in Bel Air.
Previously, arguments broke out at the mansion as the truth about Susan began to emerge. She was not the helpless wife and mother that she portrayed herself to be. While they argued, a plan began to take shape in Tenaya's head. A list of all past enemies was the start. In the meantime, Angela tried to get information about what the nature of her captivity was all about. Finally a little light was shed, as an old acquaintance came to visit. Uncle Barry stood before her with a big smile on his face. We continue now, as Angela tries to get information out of him.
Not sure if everyone received notice for chapter 7. If not, please read first. It is still paying and the most well written and exciting chapter ever written in the history of literature, next to this one of course!


Angela decided, right then and there, to use her relationship with "Uncle Barry" to her advantage. "Playing dumb" had always been a favorite ploy of hers to glean information. Portraying herself as clueless had served her well in many situations in her young life. There is a backlash when parents are unloving towards their children; their children are unloving towards them. Angela didn't harbor any strong resentment against her parents; however, she didn't feel any deep connection to them either.
 
Fortunately, guilt played no part in her psyche. She didn't feel bad that she didn’t love her parents like the other children seemed to. She felt sorry for the children that seemed to love their parents for no reason at all. Simply being one's parent didn't warrant blind devotion in her opinion.
 
"Oh, Uncle Barry, it is so good to see a familiar face. I've been so scared. What is going on? Is Mom coming soon? I don't know if Dad has money anymore since that black lady took over the house. Everything is just a big old mess since Grandpa died." Angela played clueless well enough to be in a movie.
 
Barry instantly let his guard down, as he usually did around Angela. "Don't worry; everything's going to be fine. Your dad has put your mom in a bad position and your Uncle Barry is going to help her out of it. You'll be fine." He smiled, pleased that she didn't add drama to his already complicated life. He had enough to do without calming a distraught twelve-year-old's homesick tantrum. Well, no problem with Angela. She didn't have a clue, never did.
 
Okay, I'm kidnapped. Could be worse… Mom is in on it… that's just great. What about the rest of them?  "What are these other kids doing here? Are they kidnapped too?" Angela threw it out there with all the innocence she could muster.
 
"Kidnapped? Oh… no. Ahh… these are runaways. We find runaway kids for families. They pay us to track them down. Some of these kids are promised in marriage. That seems funny to us. But in other countries, people get married very young and grow up together. Bet you're glad to be an American, huh?" Barry seemed pleased with himself. As far as he was concerned, he had come up with a great cover story for someone slow like Angela.
 
Angela sensed that and let him believe just that, "Oh, you bet, Uncle Barry, it's all I can do to pass math let alone worry about marriage. These kids don't know how lucky they are to have parents that care enough to look for them. Think of all the orphans all over the world that have no one."
 
Angela watched Barry walking off to find Elsa and it was all she could do not to laugh. Talk about clueless. She figured that there must be a lot of truth mixed in with Barry's lame story. She didn't doubt she was being held for ransom, that part made sense. The likelihood she was there for another reason had to be small. The Blackwell family maintained a high profile. It would be no easy task to make one of their member disappear. That was attention they didn't need. These other kids though, they probably were there for other reasons. Brides and grooms? Sex slaves? Workers? Workers didn't seem likely. How much money could they be worth as ordinary workers? Certainly not enough to justify all of this.
 
She felt a rustling in her coat pocket. Beauregard, her pet hairless rat, hadn't had a thing to eat all morning. How she managed to keep him with her unnoticed throughout this ordeal is a story in itself. Yet, there he was, twitching his nose and looking as bald and cute as ever… if you found that kind of thing cute that is. The microchip in his little rat foreleg could come in very handy if anyone thought to track it down.
 
~~~~~~~
 
Elsa was pensive. "Look, Barry, she may have you fooled with her innocent little routine. Ha! What's new? Your head turned by a pretty face. But, she doesn't have me fooled. She's slick. I made thousands off of fools like you when I was her age and younger! I see it in her eyes. How long are we going to wait? Let's get the money and dump her ass overboard. A bitch like that is trouble. I know, I am one."
 
"Look, Elsa, give me some credit. Where do you think all these little meal tickets came from? Me, dammit. We have to give the Blackwells some time to figure the money out. I've got the scoop baby doll. I've got the butler. The old man's not dead at all. It was all a scam, the funeral, the arrests, all of it. Lincoln's been makin' book with me since the old days when me and Susan were together. He can't turn a sure thing down. He just don't get that there ain't no sure thing. He'll do anything for them grandkids though. That's the ace. He ain't goin' anywhere.
 
"The sooner that little trollop is floating away the better. It's too high profile. No one gives a damn about these other waifs. This little rich bitch, boo hoo, they're all concerned all of a sudden. Get the money and run." Elsa looked at Barry the way most woman looked at him. Yet, he always seemed to have them around. Darwin never did explain that properly.
 
~~~~~~ -Takes Place Where Lincoln is Held Captive-
 
Lincoln didn't trust these men in the slightest. Escape was the key. Get a hold of the others and protect his family. How could he know they were safe sitting in this room? Barry? He'd swindle his mother just for the practice. Wait my ass. I wait… I'm dead. You can't let me live knowing what I know. I'm a dead man sitting here. But, they don't trust me either. No matter what I do. I took that money from Winston. I'm part of the cover-up. I can't win. Well… I better… Escape!  
 
"We're goin' to Arby's. Want anything?" Raul tried to make everything seem like some guys getting together for afternoon poker. "Flacco wanted Pepe's again, but I get tired of Mexican every meal. Arby's sounds good, verdad?"
 
Lincoln played along. "Yeah, buddy. Beef! I'm down for that. Count me in."
 
Raul left the room and Lincoln heard them speaking a kind of rapid fire Spanish in the other room. He spoke a little Spanish, but could make out only a few words of this. He guessed that something to do with ordering Arbys was taking place.
 
~~~~~~ -Back At The Blackwell Mansion-
 
The phone ringing had become an event of enormous importance now at the Blackwell mansion. Every eye turned to it as though it might break into song or perform a magic trick. The Bard usually whispered something amusing like, "Oh my God, it's levitating". Most of those assembled didn't know whether to strangle him or laugh. Diamond usually laughed and most would follow for a moment.
 
But, then the deadly serious matter of finding out who had called would begin. Fingers would point to adjoining lines. Buttons on tape recorders would be pushed and, just like on television, a nervous voice would say:
 
"Hello, this is Ruby Blackwell."
 
"Yeah. Well… you don’t do me much good. I don't want to hear a lullaby. Put the old man on. I want Harpster. Put Senior on the phone and don't play games." The voice was electronic sounding and inhuman.
 
Tenaya gestured with her hand across her throat.
 
Ruby got the message, "He's passed away. I'm in charge of the estate…"
 
"I told you, no games. I'll slit this bitch's throat right now, if you wanna play games. Put him on!"
 
Tenaya gestured to Harpster, who took the phone from Ruby. "What are your demands?" Harpster looked around at the room full of nervous faces.
 
"That's better, harp boy. Two hundred million in cash, small-unmarked bills. I'll let you know where to drop it. You have two days. See? I'm reasonable. I know it takes a little time. I start sending body parts if you're late. I'm strict too."
 
"I want to talk… hello? Hello?" Harpster dropped the phone on the table. "He's gone. Did you get all that. Any luck tracing?"
 
Lucy looked up from her equipment. "No, not a chance. Nowhere near long enough."
 
"We need Q here. Between Winston and this imbecile" he gestured towards Junior, "I don't know what my financial status is. I know there is a lot of cash missing. It may not be that easy to come up with that much cash in two days. Hell, I'm not even alive as far as most people are concerned. I guess we remedy that."
 
The Bard walked over to Junior, "Why… Johnny Ringo. You look like someone just walked over your grave."  He looked at Susan. "This is your doing. I can feel it. He's just a punk. What's your excuse?"




 




Clues begin to come forward now as demands for ransom are made. At least they know what is wanted. Input and suggestions are always eagerly sought. Your help is so appreciated. Thank you!

characters: Updated for book 2

Johnathon Blackwell Senior-Harpster, deceased former owner of a music conglomerate. Death prematurely announced. Actually kidnapped and now in hiding.

Johnathon Blackwell Junior- Senior's son and heir apparent to the family fortune. Currently in prison for Mudering Harpster. He is unaware the his father is alive.

Lilith Blackwell- Widow of Blackwell Senior and claimant to the estate. Filed billion dollar civil suit.

The Bard-Stewart Slater, homeless, writer, musician, mentally ill. witness to the death of Harpster amongst other things.

Detective Tenaya Adrian- lead is there is a murder to investigate.

Detective Lucy Smaldino, Tenaya's partner

Lincoln- The Blackwell family butler.

Ruby Dancer- singer and Daughter of Harpster though she doesn't know anything about it. Revealed to be his daughter at the end of book 1. Now the heir to the Blackwell estate.

Diamond Dancer- mother of Ruby and former mistress of Harpster. Refuses to tell Ruby anything about her father. Forced to reveal that Harpster was Ruby's father.

Dr. Khin- The Blackwell personal family physcian--Killed by Winston in the first book.

"Q & A"-- Q Aubrey Langstan--"Q" The Blackwell family attorney. Loyal to Harpster.

Daniel- Blackwell Senior's Deaf brother.

Esmeralda "Emma" Blackwell- Blackwell Seniors Mother

Winston- Blackwell Senior's son. War hero turned mercenary. Kidnaped father and the Bard. Accused of conspiracy to murder his father. Warrant is out, he's at large.

Susan Blackwell-Johnathon Blackwell Junior's wife

Angela Blackwell- Susan and Junior's daughter

Adam Jefferson-age 13, Angela's friend

Elsa, one of Angela's kidnappers

Barry, one of Susan's old boyfriends and apparently in on Angela's kidnapping

Trip & Antoinette (Nettie) Two kids on the boat that Angela is being held on. Possible victims themselves.

Abigail Stevens, Lincoln's daughter--Jenkins, Jazzy and June, Lincoln's grandkids.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.