Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Arguments are inevitable when enemies get together.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Susan Surprises, Angela is Surprised

by michaelcahill




Background
Angela, Daughter of Junior and Susan Blackwell has been kidnapped. The Bard, Lucy and Tenaya are on the case. Where she is and why she has been abducted are a true mystery. Enemies abound at truce.
Previously, Adam, the only eye witness to Angela's abduction, was interviewed and very little information of value was obtained. At the Blackwell mansion, Chief Sandoval was caught snooping outside and dragged in by the Bard. Apparently he was on the run and in fear of retalliation from Winston. Theories and questions flew, but no concrete plan had been arrived at as of yet. We continue the story now as the mansion is now getting crowed with a strange collection of people that might not be too fond of each other considering past experiences.


"… that's all fine, Dad, you're all lovey-lovey with Susan. She's got you wrapped around her finger just like she did me. I may be everything you think I am, but I'm not a damn liar. I don't pretend to be something I'm not. Who do you think I was on the phone with when you were going into deep freeze? Susan! That's right. The ice-princess, herself. But, you just give her a big hug and open up your checkbook. In the meantime, my daughter is missing. Who's the first suspect, dear old dad?"
 
"The parents." Tenaya had heard the argument coming down the stairs. She figured it wouldn't be long before Junior and Harpster would get into it. Junior's attack on Susan came as a surprise. If Susan wasn't squeaky-clean, this was the first she'd heard of it.
 
Susan flew down the steps right behind Tenaya. "This worm tried to off his own father. I wouldn't put much stock in anything he has to say. He's always been Dad's stooge.  Nothin' but an errand boy. He hasn't had an original idea since I met him. Why would I kidnap my own daughter?"
 
Tenaya made note of the sudden change in demeanor. This was not the Susan she had met earlier. This Susan showed no signs of being distraught or helpless. This Susan sounded like something out of a Mafioso movie. Kidnap she said. She said it like a fact. Sure, they all suspected that. But she stated it as though it had been established to a certainty. A small thing, to be sure, but Tenaya made note of it.
 
Lucy had joined them. "Arguing doesn't help anything. We need a list. I want every name on it, no matter how remote or ridiculous. Anyone that has any kind of grudge with anyone in this family. I want to know who you stood up for the junior prom, get it? We have no suspects and we need some now. Has anyone ran into an old acquaintance recently? Even a chance meeting on the street. Anyone. An old school chum, someone you dated once five years ago."
 
Tenaya picked up on the list, "the gardener you fired three years ago, your piano teacher in the fifth grade, a one-night-stand you didn't tell your husband about... whatever".
 
Tenaya threw in the one-night-stand with her eye on Susan. She did it on purpose to see what Susan's reaction would be. Tenaya got the guilty glance away and skipped heartbeat she expected she would. Susan might not be directly involved, but someone she knew could be. It was a place to start at least. Junior's presence would prove to be helpful after all.
 
"Hell, I got one for you. How 'bout the Barry Mahoney, ask the Chief upstairs about his fabulous record of service to the community. He and Salatia Saldana made quite a pair at one time. Tell 'em honey, 'bout your time BEFORE the rotary club." Junior wallowed in his own sleaziness and welcomed any company he could drag in.
 
"I'm Salatia Saldana and I'm here to reveal… well, the whole Chiquita Banana commercial is too far a stretch, requiring too much energy to accomplish. Let's face it; the reward in, other than polite, laughter just isn't worth it. I could go into some West Side story, but once again, though entertaining, the reference is even more obscure than I would understand." The Bard did show a great command of the accent on the opening bars.
 
Diamond, hadn't heard the conversation leading up to the Bard's little speech, but she found it hilarious and burst into laughter. Ruby didn't need an excuse and joined her.
 
The Bard took a deep bow and announced theatrically, "I'm back, baby!"
 
Lucy carried on as though none of that had happened. "Okay, tell us about it." She looked at Susan and she looked with eyes that meant business.
 
"That is long in the past. I have nothing to do with him now and little to do with him back then. If your name was Salatia, you would change it too." She looked away, clearly embarrassed.
 
Lucy could clearly see a list of signs that said she was lying. She didn't have time for subtlety. "We have evidence that says otherwise. If you truly aren't involved then you best start telling us everything you know about Barry Mahoney or you can plan on joining him in the penitentiary."
 
Tenaya picked up on the bluff immediately and pulled out handcuffs in a noisy display.
 
"Okay. Okay. I've seen him. But, he has nothing to do with this. He's small time. Pyramid stuff. Bad checks, real estate… small time. He was like an uncle to Angela. She called him uncle Barry. He called her "Scooter". He wouldn't have anything to do with this. You've got to believe me. Of course, I saw him; this dog didn't look like he was ever getting out. He lost all his money to her… what was I supposed to do?" Susan looked down genuinely distraught.
 
Harpster hadn't said anything. He looked hurt. "Susan, how could you think that I'd ever allow anything to happen to you or Angela?"
 
"You were dead!" she screamed out. "Don't you remember? Don't you think that might matter to some people? Angela was heartbroken while you people played your little games. Barry sells boats now. Luxury cabin cruisers. I think it's even legitimate. Long Beach, near the Catalina Cruise Launch. I haven't seen him since Dad died… or didn't die… pretended to die… whatever."
 
"She hated him." The Bard was seldom subdued like this. "She used to joke with me about me going to get him like Rambo from the movies. I think he tried to molest her. At the very least, he was creepy to her. Not a nice guy. You shouldn't let people like that around your daughter." There was something so much more damning in the truth coming from someone like the Bard than it would be coming from a doctor in a nice suit. Susan's head lowered under the truth of his statement.
 
~~~~~~
 
Angela hadn't seen any abuse first hand, but she hadn't been on board even a day yet. The kids acted like penalties were severe if they didn't follow instructions. Fear certainly seemed to rule the behavior of the kids. She tried to make sense of all of it. Why these kids? What did they all have in common? Why were they all there? Surely, there was some reason and for sure, money had to be at the root of it.
 
Trip and Antoinette represented the group on board rather well. The eight children now that Angela was with them were four boys and four girls, all between perhaps nine and thirteen or perhaps ten and fourteen. That was a lot of kids to hold for ransom and Trip and indicated other boats. They were too old for adoption that was clear. That left some kind of slavery. Work, marriage, sex… that was all she could think of.
 
I hope I'm kidnapped. I can't believe I am thinking such a thing. Home. That's the way home. Work… Sex slave… wife… none of that gets me home. I disappear. Kidnapped, they call someone… they look for me. Somehow, they save me.
 
"Trip, does anyone leave the boat?" Angela whispered to Trip without turning her head. She had looked around and observed no one looking at them.
 
Trip swiveled his head confirming that they were alone. "The kids leave one at a time. Maybe to go home. Maybe they are paid for. I don't know."
 
"If I leave, I'll come back for you, Trip. I'll come back for all of you. I swear it." Angela nudged Trip.
 
A loud voice interrupted them. "Scooter! It has been a long time."
 
Angela looked up to see a familiar but unwelcome face, Barry Mahoney.



 




Clues are hard to come by. Everyone seems to end up at the mansion. Only the kidnapping of Angela gives them a reason not to be at each other's throats. Suggestions? Input? Critique? I always listen and appreciate all thoughts very much. Please feel free to offer anything!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.