Romance Fiction posted June 1, 2014 Chapters:  ...95 96 -97- 98... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The treasure chest.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER TWENTYONE; PART ONE

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Paige pulled out a chair and sat. "It's too dangerous. Nobody's going back. I'm sure the men will walk through that door any second."

A loud crash caused them to close their eyes.

"Please, God, show dem men da way. Amen." prayed Amos.

As the sound of rocks crashing against rocks thundered, tears rolled down the cheeks of the three women.

TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER TWENTYONE

Morgan barked as he scampered toward the mudroom. Paige hobbled after him. "What's wrong?"

Cash, Billy Joe, Mary Pat, Nala, and Amos followed. Two dirt-covered men walked through the door. Amos shouted, "Praise da Lord! Ya'll makin' it out?"

Gary, the team chief, nodded. "The other two are on their way. They're not far behind." He glanced at the group. "How many are still in there?"

Paige released a deep breath. "We're all out. Just about five minutes ago."

"Good. The whole structure's caving in." Gary paused as the last two men stepped through the door. "My advice is to block all entrances. Nobody should go in."

"That'll be taken care of immediately. We have another problem." Paige pointed toward the root cellar. "My friend and I entered through the root cellar and there's a skeleton in there. I don't have any idea how it got there, who it is, or how long it's been there."

Gary motioned for the men to go toward the cellar. "We'll take care of it for you, ma'am." He followed, but paused and said, "It'll take a while to get this taken care of. The police, CSI, and coroner will have to be brought in."

"I understand. Thank you for all you've done." Paige watched them leave.

"I don't think they've done a dang thing." Billy Joe put a new toothpick between his lips.

The group went back into the dining room. Paige stood in the doorway and stared at the treasure. "Everybody choose three items and take them with you. I'm donating the rest to the historical society."

"Dat be mighty generous, but ya should've first pickin's." Amos took Paige's arm and led her to the table.

"This treasure has caused nothing but trouble. I really don't want any part of it."

"Dat be understandable." Amos wiped his brow.

Paige sat back and watched Amos and his friends, Mary Pat, Nala, and Billy Joe search through the treasure. She glanced at Cash, who was staring out the window. "Anything interesting going on back there?"

"The coroner just arrived. Everybody else showed up a few minutes ago. I'm wondering why they think an ambulance is needed." Cash chuckled.

"True. Lifesaving techniques won't work on him. He's definitely dead." Paige pointed at the treasure. "Isn't there anything you want?"

"Not really. I think I'll get some ice tea. Anybody else want some?" Cash headed for the refrigerator.

After Cash passed everybody a glass, he answered a knock at the back door. "Greg, how can I help you?"

"Just letting you know the skeleton's a male. From the remnants of clothing, we're guessing young and probably been down there for about twenty to thirty years. Hopefully, the forensic pathologist can work some magic."

"Thank you. I bet he was looking for the treasure." Cash faced the others. "We're taking a break with some iced tea. Would you and your team like a glass?"

"No thanks. We need to get back." Greg turned and left.

Mary Pat held up a pearl and diamond brooch. "Isn't these beautiful?"

Paige smiled. "Is that one of the items you want?"

"Were you really serious about choosing three items?"

"Of course. If I keep that here, more people will be breaking in to steal it. I want to be rid of everything. I just want to be left alone." Paige ran her fingers through her long hair, and then stood. "I think I'll go upstairs and take a long hot bubble bath.

Nala got up. "I'll run your bath."

"It's not necessary. I can do it. Have fun searching through the treasure." Paige hobbled up the stairs.

*****
After a few moments, Cash took something out of his pocket and rolled it between his fingers. He poured himself another glass of tea and stared out the window.

Now would be a great time to talk to Paige. She's alone.

"She's taking a bath. It's a horrible time."

Billy Joe glanced at his buddy. "Who you talking to?"

"Nobody. I didn't say anything." Cash shoved his hands in his pockets.

She's waiting on you to make a move. Do I need to explain things to you?

"I know what to do. I'm the only one who can hear you, aren't I?"

"You sure you're all right?" Billy Joe stood by his buddy. "You look a little green behind the gills." He poked his friend's arm.

"I'm fine. Just tired."

You're afraid of a sweet little Yankee girl. Bradley chuckled.

"I'm not afraid of anybody." Cash's eyes glared.

"I never accused you of being afraid. You need to get a good night's sleep."

Cash released a deep breath and stomped up the stairs. A gray smoky mist followed him.



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a Victorian era pearl and diamond brooch. I THINK I have only one more post to go before this novel ends. Thank you for sticking by me. I have another novel in the works. I hope you'll stick around for it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.