Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 29, 2014 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A kidnapping forces Harpster to reveal that he is alive.

A chapter in the book Bel Air: A Bard's Guide

Back From the Dead & A Kidnapping

by michaelcahill




Background
The Bard is a homeless man living in Bel Air, one of the richest cities in the world. He has more to him than meets the eye.
In Chapter One, Tenaya and Lucy settled in to their new detective agency. Harpster moved back to the mansion incognito while Lilith was convinced by Q to move out. Winston's whereabouts was unknown. The Bard returned to his life on the streets of Bel Air with a much improved club house. The events and injuries sustained by the Bard had triggered some memories of his military days that troubled him somewhat. Upon returning home one day he noticed the Blackwell mansion strangely empty. Upon entering through the unlocked front door he discovered that everyone had retreated to the safe room downstairs. We continue now as the door opens and the Bard finds out what happened.



"Yes. That concludes your ride. May I suggest dinner at the Pirates of the Playboy Mansion? Bring your plastic… and cash, of course… no… too deep. Gifts are available at Wal Mart. There is one ruining your town right now". The Bard stepped back as the light shut off and the door opened.
 
The first one out, Diamond, smiled. "Could you direct me to Fantasyland?"
 
The Bard whispered, "It's down this walkway here, but the Orgasmatron is down for repair".
 
Diamond burst out laughing and couldn't think of a comeback.
 
Harpster didn't look to be in a good mood. "Where is Lincoln?"
 
"No one is here. I came in through the front door. Well, to be perfectly honest, I opened it first. I didn't mean to imply anything magical". The Bard looked into the safe room to see who else would be coming out.
 
"No Lincoln? Where the hell did he go? I saw the Humvee pull up on the monitor. Well, I suppose I was being a little paranoid. I got us all in the safe room… just in case, you know. Winston? Some of his men up to no good? I thought it was the smart thing to do. Safety first. And now that fool isn't here. What do you suppose that means?" Harpster looked puzzled.
 
"The prosecution calls Lincoln the Loquacious! Is it true, empty chair, that you know everything and you are inanimate? Ha! You have no leg to stand on. Well… you got me there. Your honor? I object to this line of questioning. There isn't a grain of truth in what this witness isn't saying. This whole trial is one big oak. Get it?" The Bard walked back and forth and stopped in front of Esmeralda. "Your witness".
 
Harpster had a call in to Tenaya already. "Lincoln is missing. They either took him or he went willingly. I don't know which. But, that puts a crimp in our cases. That's our best witness. Best get over here and do some detecting. No, no one is hurt. No injuries or damage. Yes… safe room."
 
Harpster didn't address anyone in particular. "Tenaya and Lucy are on their way. This isn't good. Lincoln knows a lot. I should've listened to Lucy and not let him in on anything. Well, nothing changes really. Winston still can't let on that I'm alive to anyone. I think it might be time to think about coming back to life though".
 
"It's been done. So cliché really. Ah yes. The wife will be deeeeeeelighted! I don't know nuthin about birthin' no husbands. That was cold, baby. Get it? That was cold. Haha hehehe hohohoooo! Ya know honey my buddy Walt and I were thinking of opening a frozen food delivery service for zombies. Well, I think you should wait. You got nuthin' on these guys if you're not murdered".
 
"Yeah. That's a consideration. I know that there is more to dig up on all of them. That chief is as corrupt as hell. No telling the dirty dealings he's been in on or the people he's put away unfairly. And Junior. He's just walking, talking trouble. Everything he touches goes to hell. He needs to stay where he is for now. Besides, he had no problem covering up my murder. I'm supposed to have sympathy for him? Okay, we carry on as is for the time being. Let's see what the girls have planned".
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
The Amber Alert came over Tenaya's smart phone. The alarm from her phone still fell under the novelty category as it had just been introduced as a feature in Los Angeles County. The first alert had been a flash flood warning in the Antelope Valley about seventy-five miles north. Then a series of Amber alerts over the last couple weeks. The name on this one startled her. "Pull over".
 
"What is it?" Lucy knew to trust Tenaya's instinct. Tenaya didn't over react to anything.
 
Tenaya held her phone up for Lucy to read.
 
The name leapt out at her. "Angela Blackwell".
 
Lucy pulled from the curb and sped to the Blackwell mansion. Angela was Junior's daughter and Harpster's granddaughter. Matters of DNA were not a factor as far as Harpster was concerned when it came to Angela or any of Junior's kids. He accepted them as grandkids and biology had nothing to do with it.
 
Tenaya called Harpster. "Listen. Angela's been kidnapped. I have no information. Amber alert. Were almost at the house. Call Susan and find out what she knows. I know that bastard Winston has something to do with this. Christ, his own niece".
 
Calling Susan wouldn't be necessary. The knock on the front door turned out to be Susan Blackwell, wife of jailed Junior Blackwell and mother of the missing Angela Blackwell.
 
Esmeralda answered the door and Susan fell into her outstretched arms.
 
"Oh, Emma, what am I to do? John's assets are frozen. I have nothing. Is Ruby here? Can she help me? I don't even know what they want. Is it Winston? Why?"
 
"You come in here and sit down. No one knows anything. The detectives are on their way over. Have you heard from anyone? Have you been contacted?" Emma and Susan had always been close. Junior had his money to make. It didn't leave much time for family life.
 
Harpster monitored all of this from the security room. He called Q. "You need to get down here. That bastard's kidnapped my little Angela. WHAT? You've got to be kidding me. How the hell could you allow that to happen? Well, yes… I know, but… it's a murder case… accessory… made bail…Sandoval too? Christ! Just get here".
 
Junior made bail. He had a routine bail hearing that morning and the judge substituting for the vacationing Judge Balderrama had set bail at one million dollars. He had been held at no bail up to that point. Junior was out and so was Chief Sandoval.
 
Harpster left the security room and headed upstairs.
 
"Oh my God!" Needless to say, Susan was surprised to see Johnathon Blackwell Senior. She hadn't seen him since his funeral. Well, she didn't actually see him there. He wasn't actually there. He was in cryogenic deep freeze at the institute. Well, apparently he wasn't there either.
 
"Well" the Bard interrupted, "that is a rather lofty assessment. I would say that he is A god, but not THEE God. But, I do think highly of him myself."
 
Diamond couldn't help but laugh. Everyone else had their own reasons for keeping there laughter to themselves.
 
Harpster walked up to Susan, "I'm sorry about this deception. It's a long story. All that matters now is that little girl. Don't you worry. We are in this together. This is family. My loyalty is with you and Angela. Don't doubt that for a second".
 
Tenaya and Lucy walked through the open front door.
 
Tenaya looked at Harpster and said, "I thought you were dead".
 
Harpster smiled and said, "Opinions vary".
 
The Bard looked at Lucy and said, "I heard you were a Goddess".
 
Lucy smiled and said, "You heard correctly".



 
long did the King
demand his service

now the Queen commanded

the King once ruled 

now he looked to the Queen
for her favor

to rule or to be ruled

night and day

 


 




Looks like everybody is loose and there is a kidnapping. But, who kidnapped Angela Blackwell and why? Input and suggestions always desperately sought. Your ideas are amazingly helpful. Please feel free to offer them. Your critiques are also welcome. It all helps!


characters: Updated for book 2

Johnathon Blackwell Senior-Harpster, deceased former owner of a music conglomerate. Death prematurely announced. Actually kidnapped and now in hiding.

Johnathon Blackwell Junior- Senior's son and heir apparent to the family fortune. Currently in prison for Mudering Harpster. He is unaware the his father is alive.

Lilith Blackwell- Widow of Blackwell Senior and claimant to the estate. Filed billion dollar civil suit.

The Bard-Stewart Slater, homeless, writer, musician, mentally ill. witness to the death of Harpster amongst other things.

Detective Tenaya Adrian- lead is there is a murder to investigate.

Detective Lucy Smaldino, Tenaya's partner

Lincoln- The Blackwell family butler.

Ruby Dancer- singer and Daughter of Harpster though she doesn't know anything about it. Revealed to be his daughter at the end of book 1. Now the heir to the Blackwell estate.

Diamond Dancer- mother of Ruby and former mistress of Harpster. Refuses to tell Ruby anything about her father. Forced to reveal that Harpster was Ruby's father.

Dr. Khin- The Blackwell personal family physcian--Killed by Winston in the first book.

"Q & A"-- Q Aubrey Langstan--"Q" The Blackwell family attorney. Loyal to Harpster.

Daniel- Blackwell Senior's Deaf brother.

Esmeralda "Emma" Blackwell- Blackwell Seniors Mother

Winston- Blackwell Senior's son. War hero turned mercenary. Kidnaped father and the Bard. Accused of conspiracy to murder his father. Warrant is out, he's at large.

Susan Blackwell-Johnathon Blackwell Junior's wife

Angela Blackwell- Susan and Junior's daughter

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.