General Fiction posted March 19, 2014 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The people come together as one force.

A chapter in the book Yosemite

A Ready Militia and Dreams

by michaelcahill




Background
Survivors in Yosemite attempt to find answers. What happened and what can be done about it?
Previously, Johnny and Christine witnessed a fake food drop which lured many to their deaths as the packages were rigged with a letal poison of some kind. Survivors began to congregate at the camp and organize now that they had a common enemy. Johnny gave a speech to the congregated group of people to rally them. We join the story as he finishes his speech with a call to arms. The response surprises him. 

These are your brothers and these are your sisters. We are together now, one force, for each other, standing by each other, without any hesitation. Are you with me?"
 
"Yes!" They all shouted together with surprising conviction.


"Are you with me?"
 
"Yes!" Even louder. My God, it thrilled me to the bone.
 
"To victory!" I threw my fist into the air. What possessed me, who can say? It was well received.
 
I joined Christine who hugged me tightly. She curtsied and spoke, "Well done, mine liege."
 
I gave her a big kiss and smiled. "I was happy being your Queen."
 
Christine's laughter mixed in beautifully with the cheers and togetherness of our newly formed little conclave. "The United State of Yosemite" I thought to myself. There was no real call for all of this good cheer. However, it didn't hurt anything, and it served to send a message to all that could hear or see that a stand would be made. We would not lay down and die. We would fight.
 
What once we tried to keep as our own private secret now became lit up like a Christmas tree and shined like a beacon for all to see. A surprising number of people came from all over Yosemite drawn by the bright lights that must have spelled hope in the darkness that had enshrouded everyone for so long. All were greeted with open arms. Many brought supplies and tools. Most brought skills as well, nurses, doctors, soldiers and construction experts.
 
Winter approached and became an additional enemy. Attention turned to shelter. Yosemite had wood, but, other than the small cave that Ma and her boys had found, little else in the way of shelter. There were some cabins that were easily taken down and rebuilt closer to camp. Things progressed rapidly and camp began to take shape.
 
Small game and fish began to become more plentiful and even some large game on occasion. Within three weeks a large functioning community had formed. For Christine, Lester, myself, and three other people in camp a waiting game had begun. We anticipated another dream. We were at the ready for anything, but there was no reason to assume that the enemy would abandon a successful a working tactic.
 
Christine looked a little pensive as she pulled me to the side. "What did you dream about last night?"
 
"I dreamt you were wearing a vanilla ice cream night gown and that you asked me if I'd like to make a banana split."
 
”Normally, Johnny, I'd respond with something outrageous and superior in humorous construction, but I'm serious. What did you dream about?" She wasn't smiling.
 
"I didn't dream Christine. At least that I can remember. I'm aware that I did dream. But, I have no idea what it was about. I didn't have one of those dreams, if that's what you mean."
 
Christine just started talking. "That is what I mean. I didn't exactly either. I had one of my dreams. I had one more detailed than any I've ever had. I think that they have stimulated whatever I had going on there. I'm getting bits and pieces of things. Just pictures really. This is just between us. I think that we've been invaded. No one is in charge. There's nothing but, mini wars in different parts of the country. Everything is cut off from everything else. Here it is Russian, coming through Alaska down through Canada, Washington, Oregon and Down Northern California. They're small, but they have weapons. Look. None of this is a fact. These are dreams and visions and I don't know what I'm seeing and what my mind is making up. But, from experience, I can tell you that this is based on something that is real. So, in a general way, it's real. You have to believe me."
 
I knew about her dreams. We had talked, a lot. "I know enough to believe you. But, no one else will. Okay, we keep it to ourselves. I listen and react. We make our plan and I make it look like everybody's plan. That's the idea. If they knew, they would not believe a word of it." My attention became drawn to a commotion.
 
The sight of soldiers entering camp created quite a stir to say the least. We were at the ready. All of our defenses were focused and trained on them and their approach had been noticed from a long distance off. I thought back to Average Joe and his tale of the botched rescue attempt. I motioned to Christine and Carlos.
 
"I think these are the soldiers that Average, I mean the Joe that died a while back followed out of his camp. They have to have some good information. I doubt they're hostile. They look pretty beat to me. Those weapons are an improvement over our little arsenal that's for sure. Let's go great them."
 
We all went to great them. They seemed relieved at our friendly greeting. I imagine that the last few weeks had been an ordeal. It had been for all of us.
 
"This is Carlos, marines, Christine and I'm Johnny. We constitute the leadership here such as it is." I extended my hand.
 
"Sgt. Fransen, Sir. This here's Private Vaugn, Private Jefferson and this is Corporal Corcoran, he's a munitions expert." He maintained a military mode, but it seemed more out of obligation than anything. I had the impression that he felt like he had to. I appreciated that quality in him.
 
"Munitions huh? That sounds good for Fourth of July if we're still around. Well, Sgt., we're informal here. We're still figuring things out. Those weapons are a big step up from what we have. Carlos, Turner, and a couple of the others have military background. I'm a pacifist, but that doesn't mean I don't want to wipe out the enemy in an efficient military manner." I gave him my best "I'm tougher than I look" smile.
 
That last remark seemed to put them all at ease. The tension seemed to drain out of their bodies and they left with Carlos to discuss things. Carlos would get back to me with what he discovered. I figured that I'd let him have first crack at them since he spoke their language. I was anxious, but I didn't want to overwhelm them. I'd give them an hour. Maybe half an hour.
 
After about fifteen minutes Christine, Linda and I joined Carlos, Turner and Ma in conversation with Sgt. Fransen.
 
I asked Turner where the other soldiers had gone. He replied, "They wanted to get settled in and get some food in them. They didn't know anything that Louis here doesn't know. Best to let them get acquainted right off I figure." When he said Louis, he nodded to Sgt. Fransen. Good, I thought. Titles bothered me. The sooner those terms were forgotten the better.
 
I thought about Christine's dream. "I'm guessing since we are so far north, that the enemy is Russian. dropping down through Alaska. Is that how it's going down? Just a theory."
 
Louis looked surprised. "That's right sir. I must say that's a helluva guess…"
 
"No sirs here, Louis. Just Johnny. "Sir" makes me feel like a grown-up." I smiled.
 
"Yes, sir, Johnny. I mean, ah, Johnny. They were just taking advantage of the situation. Anything north of here is safe so to speak. If you don't mind, getting shot that is.  But, as far as the biological weapons and the nuclear fallout goes, it's virtually untouched from about a hundred miles north of here and up to the pole. The capitol is there, Johnny, in Salem. But, it's like an oasis. The road there is dangerous. It's not the United States. There are terrorist's and some of them are citizens groups too. They're not all foreign. The East Coast is the same way and a good part of the south. Pockets of civilization surrounded by chaos."
 
"Is there a country? What about the government?"
 
"Yeah. There is some kind of government, I guess. That is what they call it. The United States. I'm supposed to be a United States Air Force Sgt. Am I? Hell, to tell you the truth, I don't know."



 



Recognized


It seems that there may be a common enemy that unites all of the survivors now. They begin to organize. They still remain in the dark with little information. There are some dreams, but they are of little value so far. Any thoughts or ideas? All input welcome. Loving all your help. Thank you so much. mikey
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.