General Fiction posted March 18, 2014 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Good
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Laughing at their situation

A chapter in the book Wilderness Encounter

Chapter 4

by Catherin Elizabet Belle

Liam looks at the bear for a moment, and then at the surrounding woods. "I know exactly what we're going to do with that bastard. We're going to skin him and save what we can, freeze what we can, and have bear steak for dinner. Now Connie, if you will please go get Paddy, I'll get everything set here."

Connie looked Liam for a moment as if he had lost his mind, and then turned and headed for the barn. When she came back out with Paddy in toe, he had by some means rolled the bear over onto its back and had set and cut into place a large limb in between its back legs, as well as had a large length of rope attached to it. She instantly knew what he had in mind and back Paddy up toward the bear, but not to close and tied the rope to the saddle horn. Then she took Paddy by the lead and headed toward the woods. Once they found the tree they wanted and hoisted the bear up, Liam tied the ropes and released Paddy. As Connie took the horse back to the barn, Liam started the process of gutting, skinning and saving what he could for them.

As Liam skinned and butcher the bear, Connie would take the meat into the house, clean it, wrap it up, and put into the freezer. Some of it she took over to the smoke house she had built and hung it up to start the drying and smoking process to make jerky out of it. Due to both of their injuries, it took them the majority of the day to finish the butchering. It was a long, slow, arduous process for the both of them.

Connie had just finished stretching out the hide and tacking it to the barn. As Liam had asked her to do; he would start cleaning it tomorrow. As Connie headed back to see if there was any more meat to be put up; she saw Liam leaning against a tree, his arm hanging useless by his side blood soaking through his shirt.

As she ran over to him, she saw that he was white as a ghost and on the verge of passing out. She put his good arm over her shoulder and headed them back toward the house. "I'll be OK Connie, just give me a moment".

"Shut Up Liam, I'm the one whose supposed to be mule headed, not you".
Once they got inside, she sat him down on the kitchen chair and took his shirt off. The majority of his stitches had come out and he was bleeding badly.

The only thing she said as she worked on him was, "Damn bear." As she worked on him, she noticed that he had scares on his chest as well as on his back and wondered to herself, what the hell did he do in the military to get that many scares? Finally, after about a half hour she finished.

"There you go Liam, good as new. Now whatever you do don't go playing with the bears again, and don't you dare pull those stitches out."

He smiled, nodded his head, "thank you." As he tried to stand, he collapsed on the floor, moaned and passed out.

Liam awoke to the smell of coffee and eggs. How long he had been out, he didn't know. But he found himself in her bed, fresh bandages on his wounds and nothing on what so ever. He looked around the room and found his pants and a clean shirt at the foot of the bed. He found out that moving too quickly was a bad idea as pain racked his body with each movement. Finally he was able to get his pants on and threw the shirt over his shoulders as he could not get it on. Then he slowly made his way towards the sound of Connie's voice, gently humming.

He stood there, leaning against the door frame to the kitchen watching her gentle swaying her body and humming to the music from the radio. Damn, she's beautiful. He could feel the primal urges beginning to grow in him and then he moved and his urges went away as pain ripped through him. He grunted from the pain and Connie turned quickly with a large knife in her hand ready to strike.
He smiled at her. "Easy there Connie, it's not like I'm in any shape to even think about trying anything."

Connie's face softened and then she started laughing as she set the knife down. Then she got a stern look on her face, glared at him with her hands on her hips; "What the hell are you doing out of bed Liam, your still weak as a kitten. Now sit your ass down before you fall down and if you pull those stitches out, I will skin you as well."

"Yes Ma'am," was all he said as he made his way toward the chair and sat down. As soon as he sat, she turned back around and he could hear her mumbling to herself as she continued to cook on the stove.

Finally she finished and brought two plates of food over sitting one in front of him; then sat down with the other and started eating.

As they ate in silence, Liam would look up at her now and them and knew that something was bothering her, but what he did not know. Finally he put his fork down and looked at her. "Connie, thank you."

"Shut up and eat Liam."

He didn't say a word as he continued to look at her, finally he decided, enough was enough.

"Alright Connie, you and I are going to have it out right here and now. You've had a major burr up your butt ever since we've meet. That and something got you paranoid beyond belief. So this is what's going to happen. I'm going to tell you my story on why I'm out here and then, you're going to tell me yours without any bull shit; and maybe, just maybe we can figure how to help each other out. Do I make myself clear?"

Connie glared at him. Her teeth clenched, face red and her body shaking with rage. She kept opening and closing her mouth as if to say something, and then stop. It had become too much for her and finally she let out a gut wrenching sob and broke down crying.

Liam sat there for a second in disbelief. Here was a lady hard as nails sobbing her heart out. He knew then there was a major problem, but what was it still the question.

Slowly he got up from his chair and walked over to her and put his good arm around her. "It's alright Connie, nothing that's bad that can't be handled. I'll do anything I can to help you out."

She held on to his arm, her face in his chest for a few more minutes crying, and then finally stopped, composed herself and looked him dead in his eyes. "I need to know, can I trust you".

Liam stood there, looking down at her and into her captivating eyes, stunned by the question. Then he broke out into a fit of laughter. Connie glared at him as he laughed and then hit him in the shoulder with her fist. He doubled over and fell to his knees as pain coursed through his body from her hitting him on his bad shoulder, but kept up the laughter. Connie realized what she had done and was on her knees next to him holding him and apologizing for hurting him.

Finally he stopped laughing and together they helped each other up.

"Connie, that hurt like hell, but I guess I deserved it. I wasn't laughing at you per say, but at the whole situation. Here we have both saved each other's asses. We've taken each other's cloths off, seen each other bare ass naked, and what's worse of all, you didn't take advantage of me at all".

"I, on the other hand would never take advantage of a beautiful lady such as you. But I will tell you in no uncertain terms, it damn near killed me not to".

Connie looked at him for a moment, and then started to snicker which soon broke out in whole hearted laughter. Liam tried to keep a straight face but was soon laughing as well and cursing at the same time as pain racked his body. Finally they both sat down, still chuckling over the whole situation.

Liam looked at her, his eyes now stern and hard. "To answer your question Connie, yes you can trust me without question and I will do anything I can to help stop whatever it is that's got you so scared".

As their laughter subsides Connie can't help but ponder, Finally, I have found peace here, if I tell Liam the truth will I have to run again? And where do begin?


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Catherin Elizabet Belle All rights reserved.
Catherin Elizabet Belle has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.