General Fiction posted March 12, 2014 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Christine and Johnny head home to a surprise.

A chapter in the book Yosemite

Goodbyes & Unwelcome Strangers

by michaelcahill




Background
Campers try to survive a catastrophe of unknown origin in Yosemite.
In the previous installment we discovered that Christine and Johnny were not the only ones having strange dreams. Lester was also having them. One of them turned out to come true right in front of their very eyes as four Stealth bombers flew over head. Johnny quickly informed eveyone that they were in fact American planes and not alien invaders. With new information about camps surrounding theirs, Christine and Johnny prepared to return to their camp. Ma informed Johnny that they had seen David killed and it was a stranger that did it. She, of course, knew nothing of the camps plans. We pick up the story now as Johnny reacts to Ma's revelation.


"You saw that. It wasn't one of us? We didn't know who did it. To tell you the truth, Ma, this is the first time we've ventured outside of camp. We've been afraid of what might be out there. From what you've shown me here, we were right to be cautious." I took a deep breath.
 
"Yep, you gots that right. But, see, you know that and they don't. Winter's closing in. There's hardly any big game here anymore. All small stuff. You have to stock up now or ya are gonna be eatin' that poor fella and who knows who else too. We's charitable people, Johnny, but we ain't got but enough to squeak by ourselves. We's friends. Y'all can count on that. I spect will cross paths again. You and that lady are welcome here. She's a special one, Johnny. I guess you know that. She'll keep ya safe." With that she gave me a warm hug.
 
Handshakes and hugs were exchanged and we were back by the river, on the way back to our camp. I vowed to myself that if I ever got the chance I would write a true story about hillbilly's one day.
 
"If we ever have a daughter, Christine, I want to name her Dora Lee."
 
"You bet, Johnny. If we have a son though, I want to name him, David Vernon McMahon."
 
Hopefully, if we were being followed the sound of our laughter would be insane enough to give anyone second thoughts about approaching us. With the added information from Ma, our trip back had a higher sense of caution attatched to it. We knew the location of several other camps and avoided their locations.

We stopped for a break by the river. It was a beautiful setting in spite of the ominous skies that hovered overhead like a demonic reminder of deadly sins and payment due. The water was mountain fresh and any even imagined taint was no longer apparent. We drank our fill and filled our containers. We had some stew that we decided to eat cold. It still had a good flavor and surpassed most of what we were used to hot. I took the time to let Christine in on my little secret.
 
"I should have told you earlier, but your little dream about flying alien triangles was no dream. While you were sleeping, four of them flew right over our heads clear as day without a sound. Of course, I already told you they were American planes. I just didn't tell you that while you were sleeping they flew right over our head."
 
"When the hell were you going to tell me that? Lester dreampt that same dream. I don't get this at all, Johnny. These visions of what might be happening in the government and all that, okay, something that makes sense could be causing that. But, hell, I dreampt about those triangle planes when I was a little girl over twenty-five years ago. What the hell is that supposed to tell us?" She looked angry and curious. But, she didn't look afraid. Fear was the one emotion that I never saw cross her face.
 
"I don't know. I just don't know. But, look, you two both dreampt those planes would fly over and they did. Maybe I would've too If I had been sleeping. I don't know. I didn't dream about it when I was younger, I can tell you that much. I still don't think these dreams are worth much really. So you dreampt about some planes and there are the planes. Now what? We don't know a damn thing new. Until our dreams come with a little booklet that says what we're supposed to do about them, I can't see how we can do anything."
 
"Yes. Yep. I agree. We need to stick to the matters at hand. But, we keep each other informed. We question everyone too. If Lester has the dreams, maybe others do too. Something may come of them. I sure as hell would like to know it if someone is crawling around in our heads. They damn well aren't welcome."
 
"Between you and me, Christine, we are a little superior in the brain department when it comes to our group. I'm just sayin. I wonder if there is something that is stimulating something in our brains. Something that is already there. We're all chemicals and we were just doused with God knows what cocktail of lethal chemicals. Maybe there is some kind of side effect or something."
 
She just shrugged. I suppose for now that we would have to leave it at that. We had nothing else to go on. We had finished our break and our camp loomed ahead. Finally we arrived to a most surprising scene.
 
Things did not look like we expected at all. There were people by the campfire. They were chit-chatting and having coffee I assumed. The problem was, I didn't recognize any of them. There was no Carlos or Jen. There was no Tonnie or Nathan. There was no chattering Rhonda.

Christine had already ducked behind a tree like a cat before I could even alert her. I felt her hand pulling me down by her side before I could even react. "She's special, she'll keep ya safe." That's what Ma had said. I let Christine take the lead. She motioned with her head to retreat and we backed out in the direction we had come.

We found a secluded area by the river with shelter and a good view of the surrounding area. We were certain that we hadn't been seen. We had learned from experience to not be careless.
 
Our plan of action was clear. But, we had options to discuss.
 
"You don't have to offer, Johnny. I know what we have to do. First we have to find the others if they're alive to be found. I can't imagine Jen and Linda giving up without a fight, but look how easy they got the drop on us. Anything could have happened. We can't guess. They could be captured, killed or hiding out. Anything is possible or a combination of the three. I know this, I don't care for any of those options for us. That's our camp and I want it back." Again, no fear. Just determination and a touch of anger.
 
"I saw sprinkles. That was the one familiar face. He was running around like nothing was out of the ordinary. I don't know what that tells me. He was devoted to Annie. He never left her side. But, there he is and no Annie. He's a dog, wouldn't he go after her. Or, if she was captive there, wouldn't he be barking at the spot where she was being held? You'd think that stupid dog would do something dog-like to give us a clue."
 
I could feel a chill in the air already. Winter was on its way. I started thinking of Christine and how nice it would be to cuddle up with her and brave the harsh winter nights. I laughed to myself, but not out loud. Christine somehow heard it anyway.
 
"Hey. Recon Johnny? No time to go soft on me now. We have to stay alert here. I'm already cold. As soon as the sun goes down we go into action. I know they've found the mercantile, but maybe they haven't found the sheds or all of the tents and vehicles. We'll check that out first."



 



Recognized


Rollin' along blind and lovin' it! Any ideas or suggestions? Loving all the feedback. It is most appreciated. I read and make note of every review. I am way behind in responses and I do apologize. I try to review everybody's work has my first priority then read my reviews and then respond. Just behind. I hope you will understand. The real world keeps interfering, illness, work and trivial things like that. Thanks for all your help. mikey
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.