General Fiction posted February 26, 2014 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A description of what to expect from this piece.

A chapter in the book Yosemite

Introduction

by michaelcahill












I am reluctant to call this a horror story or a science fiction story as none of my stories conform very closely to what one would expect from those genres. Most of my longer pieces are concerned with characters that find themselves in certain situations and their reactions to what they encounter and who they encounter it with.

I have been told that this story has elements of horror and science fiction in it. But, I don't want anyone expecting anything technical when it comes to the scientific end. Whatever is happening is viewed through the eyes of ordinary people that have no knowledge of what they are looking at. They are merely reacting and speculating with whatever limited knowledge they have.

This story takes place in Yosemite, California which is a National Park in the United States noted for giant ancient redwood trees that are gigantic and awesome to see. That isn't part of the story, but simply where the characters happened to be when disaster struck.

There appears to have been a combination of terrorists acts and natural disasters that have occurred suddenly and it appears to be global in nature. The characters are in the dark as to the exact nature and scope of the events. They can see, however, that they are surrounded by death and calamitous events that they are lucky to have survived.

The focus is on the interaction of the characters and their day to day struggle for survival. There are other pockets of survivors as well. At night there are other campfires off in the distance. All are reluctant to leave the safety of their own campfire for fear of what may be lurking in the forest.

Unlike my last piece, this is a finished work. However, I wouldn't be surprised if, based on input and reaction, this piece took off in an unexpected direction that I hadn't considered.

I am new to prose and I am still learning. The input I received on my last piece was amazing and I couldn't have completed it without all the excellent advice and help. So, feel free. I hope you will follow this piece. Chapter one either tonight or tomorrow night. Thank you!



 



Recognized


This is just a preview. So, read and I hope it interests you to read the piece itself. I don't care for the title. So, if you think of a better one, let me know.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.