Romance Fiction posted May 11, 2014 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Three on a match

A chapter in the book The Animal Doctor

Forbidden Hearts

by amahra




Background
Nathan, happily married to Grace and with a new baby, has done everything in his power not to be alone with Margaret, the woman who broke his heart.
For weeks, as Nathan sat alone in front of a crackling fireplace with his eyes sparkling in the light from the flames, the love of two women occupied his mind: One, to him, was as a diamond tiara--the other, dark and sultry, like a sapphire ring.

One late evening, as he sat snoozing in his favorite chair with his medical notebook opened and face down across his chest, Pearl woke him.

"Mr. Nate...Mr. Nate."

"Um?" The notebook slid to his lap as he stirred.

"Mr. Wainwright phoned, Sir.  He asked if you could come right away. One of his mares is down."

"Ummm...let him know I'll be right there."

"I already did. I know you don't refuse no animal in trouble."

He looked up at Pearl and smiled.

"Tell Joseph to bring the car around and get my medical bag," he said, rising from the chair.

"Right away, Sir."

In his stocking feet, Nate stumbled into the kitchen.  He bent over the sink and splashed cold running water on his face, then patted it with a towel.  After pulling on his boots, he grabbed a jacket and his medical bag. Grace stood at the door and kissed his cheek as he passed.

Joseph held an umbrella over him as they scurried to the car. It was another dreary night. The harsh Texas winter lingered into spring.  After traveling several miles through the fog and rain, they finally breezed through the gate of Wainwright's luxurious estate. Nate spotted a light coming from the open door of the barn. He got out and Joseph parked the car a few feet away.

When Nathan walked into the barn, Big Tom and Margaret were down on all fours leaning over their prize mare. The horse was covered with several blankets and they were rubbing her vigorously to keep her warm.

"What's the problem, Mr. Wainwright?"

"Don't know. She doesn't seem to have any energy. I get her up on her feet, but after a minute or two, she's right back down again. I slept here all night."

Nathan knelt down beside her. After checking her eyes and nose, he looked into her mouth. He felt around her face and throat for any lumps, and then checked the inside of her ears. Tom broke the silence.

"Know anything, yet, Doc?"

"I need to take her temperature and do a rectal exam. How's her appetite?"

"Fine."  Big Tom rubbed his eyes and staggered when he got to his feet.

"Father!" Margaret's hands held him steady. "You're exhausted; why don't you go on up to the house. Nate and I can handle things."

"Are you sure?"

No! For God's sakes, don't leave. The words sat on his lips, but they never parted them. "Mr. Wainwright," he blurted, "I...I think your presence is needed... here, Sir. The horse doesn't know me, and your voice will settle her."

"Well, if you insist, but, she knows Margaret. I'm sure her presence will do. Won't it, Margaret?"  She had a look of desperation in her eyes. "Yes, Father."

Wainwright shifted unsteadily on his feet. "Nate, I really could use some sleep."

The color left Nathan's face. "Alright, Mr. Wainwright. I'm sure I can manage."

"We'll, manage it," Margaret insisted.

"Good. Don't hesitate to send for me if it's anything serious. I mean it."

She gently guided him towards the barn door. "We will, Father, I promise."

Wainwright left the barn and trudged back up to the house.

It took a few minutes for Nate to set up for the exam, while Margaret patted and stroked the mare's neck to calm her, but her eyes never left Nate.

"I'll need urine and stool samples to take to the lab," he said. She inched closer to Nathan during the procedure, but he kept his focus on the mare, very much aware of her coquettishness.

"I have to get you your samples in the morning."

"The morning will be fine," he said, with a professional demeanor. "How old is this mare, anyway?" 

"Seven or eight," she said. Nate finished up the exam and reached into his leather bag.  He pulled out a bottle that had a clear, strong smelling solution in it and poured a good bit of the liquid into his hands.  

"How many times has he mated her?" he asked, wiping his hands with a cloth.

"I'm not sure. You know, I've spent most of my time in London."

"Guess," he said, sharply.

"I...I suppose every year since she was three."

"He needs to retire her."

"But, she's our best mare."

"He's a rich man.  He can afford twenty more." 

"But we like this one," she said, playfully.  Nathan kept a straight face.

Margaret started to say something else, when he shushed her to listen to the mare's breathing, while he clocked it.

"Do you know how much money she brings each time she births a colt?"

"I don't care, she needs a rest." He tucked his watch back in its little place in his pants.

"Father won't hear of it."

"Then why the hell send for me if you're not going to take my advice?" 

Nathan threw his tools into his medical bag and scrambled to his feet. Margaret's face flushed and her eyes widened. She grabbed his arm.

"Nate, my God, you're angry."

"Am I, now?"

He tried to pull his arm away.  But she held on to him.

"I didn't mean to question your judgment. It's just I know how much Morning Girl means to my father."

"Tell him if he wants this horse to have a full and healthy life, he can't mate her to death. Your father is an old cowpoke, he should know better."

"Alright...you're right, calm down. I'll convince Father. He listens to me."

"Good." Nate attempted to leave, when Margaret flung her body between him and the door.

"Why do I sense this is not just about the mare?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said, with a stone face.

"I think you do. Look at me." He looked away.

"Don't do this, Margaret."

"Look at me," she whispered in a sultry voice. Nate looked into her beautiful brown eyes: Those eyes that had melted his heart the first time he saw her.

She stood so close he could smell the rose water on her skin. Her pink lips were plump and inviting. The barn light lit up the shine on her dark hair. Her white breast peeked through the unbuttoned top of her soft blue blouse. He grabbed her by the shoulders so hard, a button flew off. He pulled her to him and kissed her long.

When they finally broke, she was breathing heavily; the long kiss appeared to have taken her breath away. Still, her eyes told him she wanted more. She reached up and covered his mouth with hers. The warm wetness of her tongue shot a jolt to his loins: His manhood doubled and throbbed. She wrapped her arms around him so tightly, he could barely breathe. And he didn't want to--if it meant leaving her arms.

Outside, a coyote howled at the moon. Dark clouds further unburdened themselves, while the moist air took on a slight chill, and the rain sounded as a thousand fingers drumming upon the roof.

Inside, Morning Girl lay quietly, as the lost lovers found a dark corner of the barn. Their tossed clothes marked a trail to where they lay: their flesh--hot and sweaty, their hearts racing, and their naked white bodies moving rhythmically against the flattened hay.




 




This is the second half of chapter 15. I keep chapters short for my fan-readers who keep up with the story.

Also, I'm aware of Prohibition which started in 1920. My characters are wealthy and like the wealthy at that time, they could afford to buy the good stuff on the Black Market. Prohibition was said to have been a very unpopular law, therefore, nobody kept it. History has it that some Speakeasies were even protected by the police.

For those who are new to the story:

Main Characters:

Nathan (Nate) Daniels....Main Character
Grace Nevers-Daniels..... Nate's wife
Baby Margaret(little Maggie) ........... Nate and Grace's daughter

Margaret...Nathan's heart breaker and lost love

Doctor Koren.......Nathan's Mentor
Elisabeth Koren....Doctor Koren's wife
Ella and Ellie ......the Korean's twins

Eva Mitchell.......Deeply in love with Nathan (Deceased)
George and Mary Nevers......Grace's Parents

Ten Oakes'Servants

Joseph........Negro Limo driver
Pearl.........Negro Housekeeper

Koren's Servants:

Pete...........Negro Driver
Merald.............Head housekeeper
Jenny...............Maid and cook

Supporting Characters:
Sweet Springs Town folk

Art Work by Jim Warren
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.