General Fiction posted February 16, 2014 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
1000 word children's story, contest entry

A chapter in the book Tall Tales and Short Stories

A Camel named Clara

by Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens

Mama was clanking the milk pots as I woke up on this sunny desert day. It was my turn to milk this morning, so I knew I'd better get up and get dressed. My long shirt came past my knees, and the man-pants underneath would help to keep me cool as I went about my day. I had just turned thirteen, I wanted Mama to know I was going into manhood as a responsible person. It didn't take long to fold my covering and roll up the mat that served as my bed, I placed them into my corner of the tent with great care. Mama taught us to be very orderly with our belongings as there was such a limited amount of space in our family tent. My Papa, my Mama, my two brothers , Uman, he is only ten, and Aasim, who is eight and myself lived there. My name is Abbeed, it means, devoted and obedient. That's what I wanted to be, a devoted and obedient son.

As I hurried outside I called out, "Good morning, Clara, are you ready to donate your milk today so our family can be strong and happy?" Clara swished her tail as if to answer yes. She was always glad to see me and nuzzled my shoulder as I patted her fondly. You see, Clara is my camel. She didn't look like the other camels in the herd, they were all dromedaries, but Clara was a bactrain. The dromedaries had only one hump on their back, but the bacterain, my Clara, had two.

Papa had purchased Clara when she was about two years old and gave her to me. I loved her. She had long shaggy hair, and was a comical sight compared to the other camels which were smooth. Clara and I were great friends. Mama said,
"Clara's milk is the richest milk of all." She saved Clara's milk special and made creamy yogurt out of it.

I could not milk very fast, but when I finished, I poured her milk into a pot all by itself and then milked one of the other camels too. By that time Mama was already done with the rest of the camels and two goats. Mama said, "Abbeed, when you have milked as many years as I have, you will be fast too."

Today was going to be a great day. The village was sponsoring a cross desert camel race. The route was one I had taken many times so I felt very confident I could win. It was to start at twelve o'clock, the riders would leave the village, go east and across the foot-hills and ride over the sand dunes to the oasis about seven miles out. To prove we had made it to our goal each rider was to bring back a cluster of dates. The one to return to the village first would receive a new carpet for their camel. After the race there would be a feast, the children would play games, and the men would have knife throwing competitions. The women entered their best cheeses and yogurts in a contest. Everybody was excited, and ready for this day, which was sure to be a lot of fun.

I brushed Clara and put my old carpet that Papa had given me on her back between the two humps. "Hut hut," I said, and Clara kneeled. My backpack held a small snack of goat cheese and bread, a water bag and a pouch to put my dates in. I mounted with ease.

Finally, it was time to start. The desert sun was directly overhead. It was noon. As we lined our camels up, and waited for the gun shot that would send us off, we all pulled our scarves up to shield our heads from the blazing heat.

The villagers were calling out, "Good luck, race well, be safe and have fun," as the shot was fired, and all fifteen of the camels and their riders lunged forward, the race was on.

Clara loved to race. Her feet were made special for running on the hot desert sand. Her two big toes were padded between and she could hardly feel the heat as she ran full out toward the oasis. "Come on Clara, run like the desert wind, fly like the shooting stars of the night, we could really use that new carpet."

I had overtaken two of the other riders that had been ahead of me. On toward the oasis I rode. And there it was, ahead, in sight. I could see the date palms, and Clara could smell the water, for I could feel her surge forward with additional speed. She had not had a drink in a few days as I knew she could fill up at the oasis. Clara could drink about fifty-three gallons of water in three minutes, she could get a drink while I climbed the palm tree and picked the dates to show I had made it to the oasis. I guided Clara close to the tree, I stood, got my legs around the trunk and climbed as fast as I could. I knew without looking that Clara had headed straight for the water.

The dates were hanging, ripe and ready. After quickly stuffing many bunches into my pouch, I made my way back down the tree. Clara came close at my command and I boarded the same way I got off.

As Clara and I raced back toward the village, I had a happy feeling inside. I said, "Clara, you are the best, most magnificent, wonderful camel in the whole world". As we crossed the finished line Clara let out a loud snort as if to say, "You forgot beautiful, you can tell me that when I get the new carpet on my back."



1000 Words Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


Exactly 1,000 words.

The names of the boys are Arabian, meanings are correctly stated, The bactrain and dromedary are real camel species , the milk and production of yogurt is true information. The water consumption, time to drink and the toe structure are facts. The remainder is pure fiction. I hope you enjoy this story. :-) Carolyn
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.