General Fiction posted January 8, 2014 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Chapter 2

A chapter in the book Wilderness Encounter

Wilderness Encounter

by Catherin Elizabet Belle

Normally he would have noticed tracks of the puma trailing the deer or the squiggly marks of the rattler slithering through the dirt, but on this trek Liam's thoughts are occupied with the unknown events that had brought Connie to the mountains to live alone. Maintaining a good pace he soon reaches the boulder with the spruce growing out of the top and turns down the mountain as directed. A couple of miles down the mountain Liam spots the cabin but the corral is empty, then he recalls she said the mustangs would be in the barn with the tack in the lean-to.

Smiling he checks out the cabin finding the food she indicated. The cabin is comfortable with a bedroom, curtains on the windows, and a hand braided rung by the fireplace. Off in the corner he sees a computer, printer, etc. Must be how Connie keeps up on the outside world.

Liam stands daydreaming, "Hum, I can see Connie sitting in the rocker in front of the fire. Whoa! What the hell am I thinking? As soon as she can be moved she will return here and I will trek over the mountain to my home. That will be the end of that."

Opening the barn he sees two mustangs in stalls, nibbling on hay but looking up when he enters the barn; walking out to the lean-to picks up one of the saddles. The one with the white stocking stomps his feet and snorts at the audacity of the stranger putting a saddle on his back. "Easy boy, I won't hurt you. Your mistress needs you, Easy boy. You're little feisty, huh." Liam repeats the process with the roan which seems to be a little calmer. "Well, boy, I'll bet you're her pack horse. She would want a strong will horse to match her own personality. Yup! That's the way of it."

Going back to the cabin he rummages through the bedroom selecting a pair of jeans, a shirt, and warm socks to replace the ones covered with mud. Wrapping a blanket around them he ties the bundle on to the horse he designates the pack animal. Selecting jerky, air-tights, and coffee along with a slab of bacon Liam grabs a cast iron skillet and coffee pot then returns to the mustangs.

Shutting up the cabin and the barn he attempts to mount the feisty steed only to find his butt planted firmly on the ground, "He sure don't take too kindly to my sitting atop him. "Well, boy it seems you're a one rider horse. I'm sure I could stay on you in the end, but I won't push the point. Something tells me Connie would have my head." Liam removes the stuff from the tamer one, then mounts and rides out leading 'cantankerous'. "I see you would rather accept the pack than me. Okay, fellow that suits me long as we get back to the cave in a timely manner."

Looking at the sun on the downward slope to setting, "Well, I must be about 10 miles from the cave' boys, but with you we should be back by dark. Let's ride."

The wind whispering through the aspen creates a melody touting the beauty of the mountains. Off in the distance Liam hears the sonic boom of a jet passing overhead, a noisy interruption to the serene music nature offers. Hearing the birds cease their chirping as he approaches he can't help but wonder about the negative impact of man's intrusion on such a beautifully unspoiled world.

As the sun sinks below the horizon sending rays of gold and red radiating across the western sky, Liam nears the cave. Leaving the mustangs saddled and securing them to a nearby tree, he enters the cave with the two packs. He is surprised to see Connie sitting up with her back against the wall of the cave and a warm fire permeating the enclosure. "I got some extra food from your pantry; and some clean clothes to replace those caked in mud. How are you feeling, Connie?"

"Did the mustangs give you any trouble?" She seems anxious as she asks.

Laughing, "Let's see, the one with the white stocking strongly objected to my riding him. We agreed he would carry the packs, while I rode the other one."

Connie's face broke out in a wide grin, "That would be Diablo. I raised him from a colt, and I'm the only one who has ever ridden him; so I'm not surprised. Paddy on the other hand has a milder temperament, and doesn't seem to mind much of anything as long as he gets his treats." Looking at him she continues, "Well, I hurt all over, but I did manage to get myself in a sitting position this afternoon. That is as long as I don't move too often. Where are the mustangs?"

"Tied to a cottonwood not too far from the entrance where there is enough grass for them to graze," with that he proceeds to unpack the pot and taking one of the canteens he filled back at the cabin puts water on to boil for coffee.

While the coffee is brewing, he fries some bacon then heats a can of pinto beans. When the food is ready, "Think you could eat a bit, Connie?"

Grinning, "That coffee sure smells good; think I would like a cup first?"
Pouring a cup he hands it to her as he begins to dish up a couple of plates of the bacon and beans. Sitting a plate near her he devours every morsel on his own plate; watching to be sure she eats what he placed before her.

Sipping from the cup she sits quietly looking into the fire, then sitting the cup on the ground she picks up the plate and begins to eat sparingly of the food. "Liam, you mentioned being in the military; where are you stationed?"

"I'm not; mustered out about 6 months ago. Tried to filter back into the everyday routine of civilian life, but it wasn't working too well. My grandfather left me this place in the mountains some years back; and I decide to check it out. Been here about a month and don't really plan on leaving anytime soon. I prefer animals and solitude to being around people, Guess that makes me sound a little weird." He sits staring into the flames as though he had drifted far, far away.

Seeing the distant expression reflected in his eyes she watches and listens to see if he will continue. When he doesn't, she waits until his eyes turn bright indicating he's returned to the present. "Wherever you find your niche is where you should be. Not everyone likes the hustle and bustle of existence in the world of greed and violence." Pausing she looks down at her hands, "I know what it's like to feel out of sync with the rest of the world" but continues no further.

Only the crackle and hiss of the fire disrupts the silence as the two occupants sit drifting off into their own world of memories, pain, and heartache as reflected in their continence observed only by the bats hanging in the upper reaches of the cave; leaving through an exit not visible to the human eye in search of their nightly meal. The two humans show no indication that they hear the flapping of their wings as the bats soar above and out into the darkness.

Unaware of the passage of time they sit lost in their own thoughts when suddenly both start to speak at once. A smile crosses Connie's face as Liam's eyes sparkle, "What were you going to say Connie?"

"You can start home anytime. I'll rest here until I can travel. Diablo and Paddy will see me back to the cabin. Take enough of the food to see you home."
With a harsher tone than he intended, "Connie, what the hell are you talking about? I'm not leaving until you are able to ride and then I'll be escorting you home."

The firm set of her jaw and the flashes of fire shooting from her green eyes reflect in her firm enunciation of the words spewing from her mouth, "That's ridiculous, I've been living in these mountains for several years and I can certainly find my way home. Did I not tell you how to locate my cabin!"

The idea is so ludicrous that he can't believe they are having this
conversation. But then he has never met a woman like the one sitting across the fire from him. How the hell do I respond to her? Well, Lass it ain't happening; I will not be leaving and I will see you to your cabin. And that's the end of that."

Connie jerks around so quickly she can't stop a gasp of pain, "Who the hell do you think you are giving me orders?"

Grinning in spite of himself, "I'm the man who rescued your ass."

Knowing when she is out gunned, Connie glares at him but says not another word as she closes her eyes in frustrated acceptance.

Putting away the residue from their meal Liam leans back against the wall closing his eyes. He finds himself admiring this stubborn independent female still glaring at him after their conflict of wills. He smiles knowing he can be just as resilient as he needs to be. After a short rest he places more wood on the fire and rising moves toward the entrance, "I'll see to the horses."

Connie takes advantage of his absence and tries to struggle into her jeans unsuccessfully, then finds her sleeve won't go over the splint Liam had placed on her arm, "Damn! Damn! Damn! Can't even dress myself! What a real fix I'm got myself in."

Crawling back into the cave, "What was that you said, Connie?"

Still frowning and hurting from her efforts trying to dress, "Not a damn thing of importance, just cussing myself out from my carelessness."

Looking around to see what could have upset her, he sees her clothes spread out around her, "Okay little lady, let's see what we can accomplish." He moves toward her and before she can protest he lifts her to her feet. "Now, put your hand on my shoulder for balance and lift one leg at a time while I pull your jeans up. Do it Connie!"

Doing exactly as he tells her she grits her teeth from the pain of movement but refuses to acknowledge it to this arrogant male. Helping her set down he takes a knife from his jeans slitting the sleeve of the shirt to accommodate the arm he splinted, the helps her to don the shirt. In spite of herself she responds in such a low voice Liam almost didn't hear her say, "Thank you."

He understood her reluctance to accept help 'cause he would be just as rebellious in similar circumstances, "You are most welcome, lass. I'll make a fresh pot of coffee while you rest. I moved the horses closer to the cave, so we can hear if there is any disturbance; and I'll check on them through the night."

Reluctantly, Connie closes her eyes and exhausted from the effort of dressing succumbs to a restless sleep.

Watching her sleep he remembers the feel of her hand on his shoulder and the warmth of her body as he slides the jeans up her legs edging them over the lilac colored panties; then buttoning them at the waist sliding the zipper upward trying to keep his mind in neutral. Oh, how he yearned to touch that most private anatomy of feminine sensation, but he would not even though his shaft was painfully swollen pushing at his jeans in pure agony. The rhythmic cadence of her breathing enhancing the movement of her pert breast only increases the hunger ravishing his soul a pictures the lace bra barely containing the delectable orbs. "Hell, I need a dose of cold air." And with that he moves toward the entrance hoping the air is cold enough to douse the fire burning inside his body and displayed for all to see in his throbbing cock.
Standing in the darkness listening to the night sounds of the mountains, the lonesome howl of the coyote calling for his mate echoes across the night. The stars twinkling like diamonds against black velvet brings thoughts of romance in the moonlight with a certain stubborn woman of the mountain; and the cool of the night can't compete with the vision. Returning to the cave Liam is glad that the only illumination is from the campfire hoping Connie is still asleep or that she will not notice the pulsating shaft determined to push through his jeans. "Ah, she is still sleeping, a reprieve from her accusing eyes; and they would do just that, too."

In the early hours of the morn, Liam hears one of the horses neigh, and immediately moves to the entrance as he sees Connie try to sit up, "Stay put. I'll check on the nags." As the words leave his mind he sees darts shoot out of her eyes and smiles as he realizes he dared to call her mustangs 'nags'. Oops! There'll be hell to pay the way she cares about those horses.

Each day Connie moves around more and more; on the fifth day she finds she has only an occasionally twinge from the activity and ventures out of the cave to see about her animals. As she crawls out the entrance, she sees Liam standing with the horses and is surprised that he seems to be whispering to Diablo as he brushes his mane and Paddy's muzzling him with his nose. "I see you and the boys have become better acquainted." At hearing Connie's voice both horses whinny acknowledgement and turn toward the familiar sound.

Grinning he turns toward the sound of her voice, "Yeah! They're easier persuaded that their owner."

Slipping her arms around Diablo's neck she stands with her face against his shiny mane, "It's time to go home boy." Then turning she glides her hands over the neck of Paddy laying her head against him then stepping aside she looks at Liam. "It's time I started home."

"You'll not be going alone, lass," As she glares at him he continues, "We have already had this conversation no need to repeat it."

"You are a bossy bastard."

"It has been said of me! But in this I will have my way." He strolls toward the entrance to what has been their home for some time, crawls through the narrow passage. When he straightens up, he sees that Connie has already packed up what is left of the supplies and the few utensils he had brought from her home.

When he returns with two of the packs, "Liam, we'll split the packs between the two. Since you are insisting on seeing me home, you might as well ride." With a twinkle in her eyes, "That is if Paddy doesn't object."

He couldn't help himself and burst out laughing at the way she phrases things. "I'll get the other packs then we can start down the mountain."

The blue dome overhead is clear and the air is crisp as they start toward her home. A feeling of fall and the intoxicating aroma of sage permeates the breeze drifting down the steep mountain side. The two companions ride silently through the pines dotted here and there with a stand of Aspen. Toward midday Connie halts under a tall pinon and sits quietly in the saddle, "Let's give the horses a break."

Liam steps down from Paddy taking his pack with him moving near the base of a Fir he puts his pack on the ground, "Want some jerky?"

While she doesn't answer him, she does hand him one of the canteens of water. "Liam."

Looking up from his position beside the tree, "What's on your mind girl? Spit it out."

Standing in front of him in what could be construed as a defiant stance, "I'm not very good at saying thank you, but I am grateful for your rescuing me and the way you cared for me. I would probably have died otherwise."

Understanding what it took for her to utter the words of thanks, he doesn't acknowledge her comments just repeats, "Want some Jerky?"

Taking a piece of the dried beef from him, she chews on the stuff listing to the familiar sounds of what she considers to be her forest; and trying to come to terms with the fact that she is no longer alone in her sanctuary. Gazing off into the distance her mind tries to sort out how she really feels now that her solitude has been invaded. Well, it will take some getting used to.

Watching the oblique look emanating from her green eyes, Liam wonders what thoughts are consuming her. What's it to him? Why should he care? Damn it, he does care and that could be a problem. "Let's get moving." He wants to add before I do something stupid, but he doesn't.

Connie grins as she mounts Diablo and moves on down the mountain with Liam trailing a little behind on the narrow trail. The ache seeping through her bones is a nagging reminder of her plunge down the steep incline. As long as she keeps ahead of him, he won't be able to see the pain radiating across her face. It's another couple of hours to the cabin, "We should get to the cabin about midafternoon."

"That would be my guess. The trip has gone a little faster than the first time I made the trek," remembering that he had walked down, but rode Paddy on the return. Was that really only 10 days ago?

Without turning, "Yeah, you did have quite a trek." and keeps moving on down the mountain. Her mind wanders as Diablo sets a steady pace now that he is on familiar ground headed toward home, 'Liam's not such a bad fellow; after all he did rescue me and stay with me until I could travel. He is a little bossy, but maybe that's the Air Force's influence.'

Rounding the bend in the trail at the old rock that has the tree growing out of it both realize that they are within a mile of her cabin. "Bet you'll be glad to get home?" But as he speaks the thoughts running through his mind are of a different nature, Will she send me packing; or let me hang around at least until morning. What the hell is wrong with me? I find myself not wanting to leave her. She is stubborn, hardheaded, independent, and opinionated; all of which I do not need especially in a woman no bigger than a tadpole.

As the cabin comes into view, Connie knows she has a decision to make regarding her rescuer. What the hell does she do? He has seen her at her worst, busted up, covered in mud, and naked. How much more embarrassment can she endure?
Approaching the corral, she opens the gate from the saddle allowing Paddy and Liam to move though closing it behind them. As she starts to step down she almost falls her legs are so weak. Liam is there instantly to prevent her tumbling into a heap on the ground. Standing there held in his arms a warm flush spreads through her body creating a slight tremor. No! No! It's from spending the day in the saddle, I'm just exhausted. Tilting her head backward to look up at his masculine face gazing into his eyes twinkling with mischief, she knows her denial is alive.

Seeing the flush on her face and feeling the tremor ripple through her body, my shaft immediately reacts, pressing against my jeans begging for release. Looking into her glowing green eyes, slowly I lower my face to hers brushing her warm moist mouth with a whisper of a kiss; deepening it when she does not object surprised and pleased with her invitation to continue. As my tongue slips inside her mouth she catches it in a moment of stillness sucking like it was a tasty lollipop. My rod immediately responds to the sensation created by the sensuous suction. Time seems to stand still; releasing my tether she drops her hands from my back where they had been soothing and tempting all at once. She says not a word but goes to work unsaddling Diablo as I turn to do the same for Paddy.

Leaving the horse in the corral we put the saddles in the lean-to and taking the packs into the cabin she turns, "Liam, you might as well stay the night. You have a long trail home, do you not?"

His eyes dancing in the suntanned face he responds in hopes the distance will make a difference to her and she will let him stay, "Bout 20 miles from here."
Catching the gleam in his eyes, she snorts, "don't go getting any ideas, I'm just being hospitable. After all you have been taking care of me for 10 days; it's the least I can do to show my gratitude."

"Yeah, just hospitable that's all. What was that little kiss outside just now, a hello?"

Making her way to the kitchen with her pack, she starts putting things away while Liam leaves his pack by the door and follows her. He sees the weariness in the way her body moves and the slight slump of her shoulders. "Connie, you need to be resting. You've been through quite an ordeal. How's the arm?"
Without answering him, "Make yourself useful, start a fire in the fireplace and there's wood in the bin and more by the lean-to if you need it."

As he leaves the room, she slumps against the counter. Damn him anyway, I can't believe how he makes me feel just being near him; and when he touches me I lose all sense of reality. Get it together gal! And with that she sets about preparing a pizza from the freezer tossing a salad to go with it; a quick meal, but nourishing."

Returning, he stands in the door way just watching her before entering, "Connie, I put the horses in the barn and lock up for the night."

Her immediate reaction is 'How dare he!' Biting her tongue on a smart retort, "Thanks Liam. Dinner is about ready, hope you like pizza."

The meal is eaten in silence. As they sit quietly sipping coffee, "You cooked, I'll clean up. Go make yourself comfortable, Connie."

She looks across the table and knows from the expression on his face that he is aware of how much she is hurting from the trip down the mountain. "I am rather tired. Think I'll sit by the fire for a while."

Liam takes his time cleaning up mostly to give her some space. When he feels that enough time has elapsed he moves into the living room and sees her slumped over sound asleep on the sofa. Going to the bedroom, he turns down the bed.

Returning to the sofa he gently lifts her in his arms carrying her to the room he just left, but he is reluctant to put her down, 'Damn I like the feel of her.' Placing her on the bed, he removes her boots. Wonders if he should take the rest of her clothes off; 'what the hell she can only get mad, and I've already seen her naked.' As he loosens her belt and slides her jeans down, she moans as he moves her but doesn't awaken. Next he takes her shirt off and draws the covers up over her. Gently kissing her on the forehead, he leaves the room.

Sitting on the sofa in front of the fire, he slips his boots off and stretches out watching the flames dance around the logs reaching toward the recesses of the chimney, while off in the distance a lone coyote howls for his mate. His last thoughts as sleep claims him, "I have found my forever mate."









Wilderness Encounter is co authored by carterD and oldefoggie.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Catherin Elizabet Belle All rights reserved.
Catherin Elizabet Belle has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.