Romance Fiction posted December 16, 2013 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Final Beginning

A chapter in the book The Animal Doctor

Ten Oakes

by amahra




Background
After spending a wonderful honeymoon in London, Nathan and the new Mrs. Daniels are homesick for Texas.

A misty grey hovered over the London square.  It was a new morning, and the sun appeared to have forced its way through the darkened clouds. 

Outside his hotel window, Nathan could hear the sound of raindrops drumming, like tiny fingers, against the pane. He leaned over and kissed the rosy cheek of his sleeping wife who lay next to him on the big brass bed.

He and Grace had loved every moment of their honeymoon, but couldn't wait to return home. They were leaving Europe, but the continent would never leave "them". They had seen it at its worst during the war, and now at its best in its continued recovery. This part of the world would both haunt and delight the couple forever. For it was in the midst of the world's deadliest human conflict that they met and fell in love.

**************

Back In the States

The limo pulled away from the Texas train station with a whistling Negro at the wheel.

"Joseph, what's that you're whistling?" Nathan asked.

"Oh--just a little tune I made up, myself, Boss."

"Keep it up. I like it."

Grace smiled and seemed to enjoy the entertainment. She and Nathan took in the scenic view during the long but comfortable ride to his ranch in Sweet Springs.

"What a beautiful place, Texas.  I'm looking forward to raising a family here," Grace said, snuggling up to him.

"Yes, it is beautiful. I felt the same way years ago when I first settled here."

With only a few minutes left in the ride, Nate flattened his nose against the car window and frowned.

"Hey!  Wait a minute, Joseph. This is not the way to my ranch. You're going the wrong way."

Joseph grinned. "Just following orders, Boss," he said pulling up to the double gated estate. 

"Following whose orders?  Where on earth are you taking us?" Grace asked.

"It's a surprise, Mam. Is all I can say." 

After Joseph passed through the first gate, a ground keeper yanked open the second gate allowing the car to pass.  Nathan lowered the car window and stared out. His eyes fell upon the huge spread of grass, the multi-level gardens and a beautiful in-ground fountain that shot water 10 feet into the air.  There--a short distance away, stood a tall two-story white mansion with giant pillars on either side. 

"Man, for God's sake, whose place is this?"

Before Joseph could answer, the designer door flew opened and George and Mary Nevers hurried out onto the front steps--both grinning like Cheshire cats. When the car stopped, the stunned couple stumbled out of it like drunken sailors.

"Welcome to Ten Oakes," George Nevers said with his arms wide opened.

"Father, what's going on?" Grace asked, walking into her father's arms.  She turned and hugged her mother tightly, then stared at them awaiting a response.

"This is a wedding present from me and your mother."

"You bought us this?" Nathan asked, with his eyes big as saucers.  He turned to Grace. "You really didn't know about this?"

"No. I'm just as surprised as you are."

The two gazed upon the  21,000 square foot mansion--built by English architect, Sir Alfred Bringhum.  The back of the house was even more amazing.

"Oh, look--what a lovely brook.  So many oak trees and formal gardens where we can host  parties in the summer. I'm speechless," Grace said.  Nathan slipped his arm around her waist.

"Mr. and Mrs. Nevers ...."

"Don't you think," Mary interrupted, " it's time you called us Mother and Father?"

"Mother, Father,  I...I don't know what to say."

"Honey, we did say we wanted a big family and--well, this certainly will do," Grace asserted.

"If we had 20 kids, we couldn't fill this place."

"Oh dear...if you think it's too big..." Mary said who spoke as though she thought Nathan was disappointed.

"No No, Mother, that's not at all what I meant. We love it. Don't we, honey?"

"Oh, yes. And thank you both." She rushed into George's arms as she had done countless times as a little girl. He hugged her and kissed her cheek.

"You're welcome, Angel."

"Well,"  Mary said, grabbing Grace by the arm, "shall we go in and see the rest of the house?"

With his mouth still half opened, Nate followed them. The first to hit his eyes were the high beamed ceilings and wide planks.  Everywhere he looked, from the first floor to the second, there were silk drapes covering the tall windows and rooms with early 19th century antique furnishings. The 34 room mansion featured 10 bedrooms--including two master suites, 15 baths, 20 closets, 12 fireplaces, a ball room, and a 200 seat formal dining area. 

Mesmerized by it all, Grace smoothed her hands over one delicate piece she found in the nursery. It was a walnut and Burled mid-19th century baby crib with carved animal markings.

"I chose this with care, honey. Do you like it?"

"Mother, you've outdone yourself. It's beautiful." Grace's eyes began to tear as she gave Mary a big hug. The house was equipped with every European import  including a French chef, maid and butler.  Nathan thanked the Nevers, but felt the French servants were a bit much and with Grace's approval, elected to hire a Negro woman to oversee the running of the house.

Mary and George decided to stay a while and help the couple settle into their new home. After a few weeks, they returned home to Ohio.

Grace and Nate quickly became a welcomed part of their new community. Everyone, including the Korens, seemed to adore Grace and considered Nathan a lucky man for having landed such a prize

Not far from the Daniels' new home, was Big Tom Wainwright's estate. Nathan had risen so quickly in this tight-knit town: from a young, penniless apprentice back in the early 1900s; to living downwind of the multi-millionaire Wainwrights. But Nathan wasn't impressed with such social nonsense.  In fact--many townsfolk, in their amazement, had once said of Nathan that in spite of his non-interest in becoming rich, wealthy women seemed to fall right out of obscurity and onto his lap.  

**************

Overjoyed with his new role of being a husband, Nathan had expressed, many times, his eagerness to become a father.  And after many attempts to get pregnant, their first baby was finally due in the spring of 1922.  But that birth date was not to be. Instead--it became the first of a string of miscarriages that plagued the couple for years.

Grace was devastated. Each miscarriage sent her deeper into a depression and even more away from Nathan. They rarely talked any more except to argue over whose fault it was that Grace wasn't able to bear a child. Mary traveled the long distance, several times, to be by her daughter's side;  her visits sometimes included her refereeing the couple's loud arguments.

When Nathan saw how this was taking a toll on their relationship, he lied to convince her that having children made no difference to him.  But his words fell on deaf ears. Grace's obsession  with having a baby had changed her from the sweet person who had captured Nathan's heart, to a cold and bitter woman.  At one point, she became so verbally abusive towards Nathan--he honestly didn't think the marriage would survive one more failed pregnancy.

The Nevers spared no expense--taking their daughter to the best doctors in Europe. Finally, the Korens sent the couple to a near-by town in Texas, where a little old country doctor told Grace there was nothing wrong with her or Nathan, and that she simply had to relax and let nature take its course.

"Sometimes, my dear,"  the doctor said, "what comes naturally to others, may just take a little more time for the rest of us." 

Following the doctor's advice, a year and a half later, in 1925, Grace gave birth to a beautiful rosy cheek girl who Nathan wanted to name Margaret. 

"After all I've been through to give you a child, you want to name her Margaret? Why don't we make her middle name Eva, after your cliff jumping girlfriend?"

Nathan tried to out shout her and explain, but Grace ordered him from the room.

To prevent the situation from exploding further, Elizabeth Koren told a half-truth about Nathan's promise to name his first girl after her mother. Elizabeth's mother's name was Margaret Ann Mobely, but Nathan had made no such promise.  Grace had always admired Elizabeth, believing her lie, she apologized to Nathan.  All agreed the child would be Christened--Margaret Mary Daniels.

"Have you lost your damn mind?" Elizabeth snapped, after finding Nathan alone with a drink in his hand. She pinched his arm.

"Ouch! What?"

"Margaret? Really--Nate?"

"Well--you explained it, didn't you?" He frowned and rubbed the sore spot on his arm.

"Why on earth would you want to name your child after a woman who has caused you so much pain?"

"It wasn't her fault. Her parents forced her into an arranged marriage."

"Or,  so you tell yourself. Nate, for God's sake, don't ruin this.  Grace is the best thing that's ever happen to you."

"What are you talking about? I'm not ruining anything. For your information, my mother's middle name is Margaret."

"Well, why in the hell didn't you say that?"

"I never got a chance. The minute I mentioned the name Margaret, Grace goes bananas, and YOU come galloping to my rescue like I was some damsel in distress."

"Jesus Christ. You're going to send me to an early grave."

 "Oh... you old momma bear, You,"  he said, setting his drink aside. "You'll  live to be a hundred if not a hundred and ten." He grabbed her and playfully danced her across the room.

"Nate, be serious," she said, trying to wiggle out of his arms.  He kissed her on the forehead and made her smile. He was the son she never had. He loved her as much as his own mother. "Nate, please tell me you're over Margaret."

"Yes. Yes. I'm over Margaret. You worry too much, Momma Bear."  Then with a chuckle, he smacked her on the butt before hurrying from the room.  Elizabeth stood there with her hands on her hips.  She shook her head and smiled.

"You loveable fool," she said softly to herself. "Now how to keep you from finding out that Bitch is in town?"



Recognized


This chapter may lack excitement because it's not a complete chapter. I need to keep chapters short for my fan-readers who keep up with the story. Also, I'm aware of Prohibition which started in 1920. My characters will not drink in future chapters. They'll have to face their miserable lives sober. If at anytime I see they can't handle the stress, I'll write in a Speakeasy. LOL!

For those who are new to the story:

Main Characters:

Nathan Daniels....Main Character
Margaret...Nathan's heart breaker and lost love
Doctor Koren.......Nathan's Mentor
Elisabeth Koren....Doctor Koren's wife
Koren Twins .......Ella and Ellie

Eva Mitchell.......Deeply in love with Nathan (Deceased)
Grace Nevers Daniels.......Nathan's Bride
George and Mary Nevers......Grace's Parents

Ten Oakes'Servants

Joseph........Negro Limo driver

Koren's Servants:

Pete...........Negro Driver
Merald.............Head housekeeper
Jenny...............Maid and cook

Supporting Characters:
Sweet Springs Town folk

Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.