General Science Fiction posted November 30, 2013 Chapters:  ...21 22 -22- 23... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a glimpse at the Pale Sisters

A chapter in the book Pale Sisters

Lee Library

by Bill Schott



Background
The Pale Sisters are the final product of a brutal and archaic, genetic needle-threading, that has brought entities from three worlds to a point in time where time might soon become meaningless.
She had begun early that morning, so by two p.m. , Virgo Pale was reading the last page of Tolstoy's War and Peace.

"It has to be so," she whispered to no one. She had finished the collected works of Shakespeare, the Encyclopedia Britannica, and half of the smaller books in the library of the Lee estate.

Beatrice was more and more amazed with the three-year-old as the days passed. There was no subject that did not interest the child, and no text too long or lofty for her to understand. Since she had completed reading the multiple volumes of the Oxford Dictionary, she was in full understanding of the literature she consumed. She would tell Beatrice about each book she had read, and commit it all to memory. She would shortly have the full knowledge of the entire Lee library.

Her two-year-old sister, Libra, was also a source of continued amazement. She was now playing complicated pieces fluidly on both the piano and violin. When she drew pictures, they were measured and proportional. Her detailing brought them near a mirror image. She, too, was a voracious reader, but more interested in math and science books, than stories. Libra could perform mathematical equations breaching on unknown variable solutions.

Both children spoke loquaciously and with elevated vocabularies; this pushed them past precocious and into the realm of the surreal. Beatrice could only wonder if the infant, Cancer, would develop with such advanced aptitude.

Emily Pollar knew the answer to that question already. Cancer would be just as gifted as her siblings, and just as powerful. The children were already drawing on the ambient energies that surrounded them and had directed them towards their physical and mental enhancements. They were at the final physiological stage of the genetic compatibility with the natural powers of the physical world. From this point, the fight to keep them from advancing to the ultimate beings that they had the potential of becoming would initiate.

Foiling the schemes of the Magfas was the primary necessity. Then, the measured revealing of the girls' possible destinies could begin. In this, the Kolk had planted a key ally in the embodiment of Cancer Pale. Within another few months, the force that had infiltrated her genetic code would be able to net with the entirety of the Kolk's ethereal intelligentsia. Then, the preparations could begin in earnest.



Recognized


"It has to be so." Last line from War and Peace.
Photo from Google.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.