Essay Non-Fiction posted November 28, 2013 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
First-person critique 250 words.

A chapter in the book Memoir

Fear of Success

by Bill Schott

My story is one that depicts me searching for a way to avoid a tremendous decision that will change my life. In a dreamlike state I seek escape from what seems like an awful fate. My fate appears to me in the form of a pursuer who seems dangerous and bizarre to me. I find myself in a setting of peaceful, non-stress-inducing people, who enjoy a simpler life that gives them contentment and ease. I want to stay there. All the characters and characteristics of my story are manifestations of my own self-analysis. I am a crying baby, wanting to be changed, but helpless. I am the stalking apparition that is both a terrifying aggressor and a possible savior, hoping to rescue a person who should be powerful, but seems like a weakling. My solution to escape goes from the disorientation of an unknown environment, to the simple act of opening a pantry door to affect an exit. Even when faced with the ultimate end, confronting the relentless stalker, I manage to convert him into a redeemer. I now realize that my fears are entirely a fiction that my subconscious created, and that I must now view as the working-through of my anxiety and trepidation of a future I perceive myself unprepared to enter. I know, however, that I have the fortitude to prevail, like a royal heir from a lineage of glory, and the trust and support of friends, who respect and love me, like a realm of true believers.



Creative Critique contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.