Essay Non-Fiction posted November 21, 2013 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An Essay (contest entry)

A chapter in the book The Empty Chair Project

I Believe...

by ~Dovey










I believe that Fairbanks, Alaska truly is The Golden Heart Community. In times of crisis there is no shortage of people offering to lend a helping hand. We take the initiative to take care of our own and not wait for branches of government to step in and do that for us. Each day I witness something that makes me truly thankful to have grown up in such a special community. There really is nowhere else I'd rather live.

Most recently, a severe windstorm whirled through our community causing much mayhem and destruction. Thousands of people were left without power, some for merely hours, others for many days. Downed trees created havoc with the power lines, causing the Golden Valley Electric Company to run their line crews around the clock to try and get power restored as quick as possible. This was all in the face of plummeting temperatures, which this week have reached minus thirty below. Still, there are 175 families left without power. Line crews have traveled all the way from Anchorage, Alaska to assist with the restoration project. These men and women are dedicated to getting power restored to each and every home and for that I am very thankful.

I have seen some very heartwarming offers of people opening their homes for those in need of warmth, a place to stay, or showers due to the lack of power in their residences. It is when faced with crisis that we see the true measure of our friends and neighbors. In many instances the past few months the elements in our area have posed potential danger to our residents. Over the summer we were on fire evacuation watch for literally months on end. Now, faced with the aftermath of the wind storm and power restoration, it is amazing to see our community band together for the good of everyone.

Fairbanks is a resilient community and on some level we are all survivors. Whether it be from the elements, living in the extremes of 100+ degrees in the summer to -70 degrees in the winter, to fire, wind, freezing rain, or anything that can happen in between, we come together and we survive. Raising funds for any number of worthy causes in our community also applies to this idea. Any day of the week I see fliers for fundraising events benefiting those in need of assistance. I am continually amazed at the generosity and goodness of spirit I see in those who live here.

In just one example of this generosity, I would like to give accolades to the committee members who donate their time and efforts year after year to raising funds for The American Cancer Society. Those funds are disbursed in our community through support programs for survivors and those who struggle daily to fight this debilitating disease.
Year after year we raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for The American Cancer Society. That is an amazing feat coming from our population.

What I want to say now is, "Thank you." Thank you to every single member of this community who takes time to stop and say, "Hello," "How are you?" "Is there anything I can do to help?" It is both breathtaking and encouraging in this day and age to see people coming together to help one another, not worrying about what might be in it for themselves.

I believe it is up to us to take care of one another and lend a helping hand whenever we can. And, that I am very lucky to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. While the winters may be harsh and cold, the people of Fairbanks are the warmest I know. I believe in the Golden Heart Community, with all my heart.



I Believe writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story or essay that begins with the sentence: I believe _______ (finish the sentence). Maximum word count: 1,000.


628 Words
Picture courtesy of the Fairbanks Golden Heart Plaza Webcam
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.