Horror and Thriller Poetry posted November 2, 2013 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Weary travelers...beware!

A chapter in the book A Picture's Worth a Thousand Poems

Raven's Fare

by Dean Kuch

 photo RavensFareFive_zps1bd056ba.jpg



Recognized


In the high country beyond Devil's Peak, Wyoming, is the town of Raven's Fare. It is dotted with historic mine shafts, head stones, and tumbling down miners' cabins. Not only might a visitor find a "taste" of gold fever in this historic district, but may also experience their hair rising on the back of their necks as they "bump" into one of the many ghosts that reportedly roam the area.

Like many other mining towns of the Old West, Raven's Fare is said to be extremely haunted. Given its rich history, complete with mining accidents, floods, fires, lawlessness, and bloody battles between mine owners and labor unions, it comes as no surprise to learn of the many ghosts who continue to linger in this once thriving city. In fact, there are so many tales of spirits wandering this historic town, that at one time boasted one homicide per day, some say it is the one of the most haunted cities in the United States.

You might also be lucky enough to "find" a ghost or two. Said to be haunted by a number of spirits including nuns, children, and former patients of the mental ward, the most often "seen" ghostly resident is one referred to as "Stinky". Lurking at the back staircase of the old hospital, "Stinky" makes his presence known with a sewage-like smell. The apparition of an old miner with no upper body is also sometimes seen.

Another ghost, that of a little boy affectionately known as "Petey", has been seen throughout the town, but most often is held responsible for stealing cigarettes and moving items about in the town's tavern. Do you smell something...? Just wondering.

Raven's Fare. Sounds like a perfect spot for a vacation, don't you think?
My thanks to Brad McBride for the use of his sountrack :Night in a Ghost Town...





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dean Kuch All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dean Kuch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.