General Poetry posted October 31, 2013 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An unearthly, unholy obsession...

A chapter in the book A Picture's Worth a Thousand Poems

~Betrothed Remains~

by Dean Kuch



Background
A picta-poem ® from my collection.
~Betrothed Remains~ photo BetrothedRemainsfour_zps40fbac22.jpg
 photo tumblr_lt13xrQt9h1qbztxdo1_5001_zps9ee0e968.gif
 
 



Recognized


This poem was inspired primarily by Michael Jackson's smash Halloween hit, "THRILLER!" But, there is a more sinister inspiration as well...

Has anyone ever wed a corpse? Yahoo news says that they have...
Some would say this is romantic, others are simply creeped out.
According to Yahoo News, a Thai man married his girlfriend's corpse earlier this month, and then posted a video of the ceremony on YouTube, MSNBC.com reported on Sunday.
To wed each other, the 28-year-old groom, Chadil Deffy, put a gold ring on his girlfriend's body as she lay in a casket wearing a wedding dress.
Family and friends praised the groom's devotion to his longtime girlfriend, whom he had promised to marry before she suddenly died in a car crash at 29 years old. The two met in college and had planned to get married for quite a while.
Although initially seen as a supremely romantic gesture of his devotion, the backlash has begun, with people accusing Deffy of searching for publicity and fame.
That's simply not true, said Deffy's friend, Onsiri Pravattiyagul, in the MSNBC article. Deffy "wasn't thinking about the possibility of fame when he decided to put a ring on her cold finger," Pravattiyagul said. "He merely wanted to make things right, however small or inadequate the gesture might seem."
Regardless of whether you think the ceremony seems like a publicity ploy or simply a sweet, heartbreaking gesture, it's worth noting that Deffy isn't the only one bringing the dead into his romantic life.
Thus, such surreal stories based upon actual (yet quite bizarre) truths inspired me to write this poem.

You see? Truth is, indeed, stranger than fiction...


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dean Kuch All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dean Kuch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.