Romance Fiction posted October 22, 2013 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Home Sweet Home

A chapter in the book The Animal Doctor

Sweet Springs, USA

by amahra



Background
Nathan went back to Sweet Springs with plans for a wedding; but it seems life's obstacles just won't leave him alone.
Eva took the last step she'd ever take in this life. Her foot graced the air as she soared from a 100-foot cliff overlooking the scenic greenery. The ground contact reduced her buxom body to fragments of bone and busted flesh.

From a distance, her scarlet hair lay indistinguishable from the bright red mass splashed upon the stony ground. One green eye protruded onto her pale white cheek. The expression life had left behind on her face was unmistakable. Eva Mitchell died screaming. Body fluids oozed through her ripped clothing, and one shoe was missing from a mangled foot.

A search party found her body after her confidant reported her missing when she failed to return home from a walk.

"I'd been so worried about her," the friend told the sheriff.

"Why is that?"

"She...she just wasn't acting right...you know. Since she broke up with her young man."

"I see," the sheriff said, looking as if he'd already made up his mind.

Climbing Busch Peak was a favorite pastime for many Sweet Springs citizens. The view was said to be one of the most beautiful in the region.  Printed signs were placed along the way, warning people not to drink or walk the path after dark.

"Eva knew that path like the back of her hand. There's no way she would have slipped," the store clerk babbled.

"If you ask me, someone pushed her," claimed a customer.

In spite of the rumors, Sheriff Ryely dismissed it as a terrible accident. Still, the suicide rumor spread like wildfire. It shocked the small town well beyond its usual demeanor. Eva was so well liked in Sweet Springs for her warm spirit and charitable giving.

As the accusations reached capacity, the Korens watched sadly as Nathan's popularity plummeted. He became known to many townsfolk as the man who'd killed Eva Mitchell. They felt he was just as responsible as if he'd thrown her off that cliff.

Nathan, distraught, hid behind his mansion walls for weeks - lending his practice over to Dr. Koren. He postponed the wedding, stating that he couldn't bear to bring Grace to live in such a poisoned environment. After Grace read his letter confessing everything, she became so depressed that her parents sent her to relatives in Canada until the matter cooled.

Although Nate paid for the funeral, he stayed well out of sight until Eva's family had loaded her body onto the train. In Virginia, she was laid to rest near a quiet lake next to her mother and Grandparents.

**************

The sky was dark grey with clouds, and a fine rain beat like tiny pebbles against the roof. A knock came at the door. Nathan peeked through the window and saw Elisabeth Koren standing with a cloth-covered picnic basket. When he opened the door, she wiped her feet on the welcome mat - then quickly stepped past him.

"I bought you something to eat," she said, hurrying towards the kitchen.

"You didn't have to do that."

"Oh, nonsense. You've got to eat, don't you?" she said, unloading the basket of food. "Let's see now, there's fried chicken, biscuits, string beans, potato salad. Oh, and your favorite - Brown Betty pie, and Mrs. Conklin sent a jar of her homemade peach jam."

"Mrs. Koren, you're too kind." Elisabeth turned and looked him up and down.

"Lord - Son, you look like shit." She gently shoved him towards the staircase.  "Now, go up and bathe and shave while I set the table."

Nathan mounted the steps like a little boy being sent to his room.  Elisabeth gazed around the kitchen. There was trash on the floor and piles of dishes, glassware and pots and pans in the sink. She took out an apron she'd brought and rolled up her sleeves. She went to work - broom flying, suds splashing, and dishes clanking. 

Upstairs -  Nathan finished shaving and stared at himself in the mirror. He hated what he saw. Several days ago he had the love of two women, now there was only one and he had the other one's blood on his head. He closed his eyes and tightened his jaw.

"Why - Eva? Why did you do it?" he asked her in his mind's eye.

He remembered how she looked that night before he told her about Grace.  She stood there naked, her shapely body pale and white. He remembered her wet red locks falling against her pink nipples when she removed the towel from her head. She looked so beautiful, he almost didn't tell her that night.

But he did - and watched her face turn ash white, and her mouth drop. He remembered how her eyes filled, and how her body shook as she cried loudly. Then he watched her eyes turn to burning red coals, veins pop in her neck. She began throwing everything she could at him and asking him over and over, 'Why Nate...why?' He could still hear her screaming at him - calling Grace a bitch and ordering him out of her sight.

He examined the scab-covered gash above his right eye from a perfume bottle she'd thrown at him. He wished she'd thrown that liquor bottle instead.

"Nate - come and eat!" Elisabeth shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

"I'll be right down!" he shouted back.

A few minutes later, Nathan descended the stairs in clean clothes, combed hair and brushed teeth. The two sat quietly and ate. She smiled as he stuffed his mouth with a second helping of everything. Then she broke the silence.

"You can't keep blaming yourself - you know."

"Why not? Everyone else does," he answered, with a mouth full of food.

"To hell with everyone else. You and Grace don't have to live here."

"I'm not sure there is a me and Grace anymore."

"Now, what makes you say that?"

"She doesn't answer my letters. What does that tell you?"

"Honey, she's in shock. Just give her time. She loves you."

"Yeah...but she could write, tell me she loves me, she hates me, call me names, anything - but..this...this...silence. I don't even know what she's thinking about me right now."

"Nate, relax. Take it from a woman. She's going to realize how much she loves you. And this whole thing will be like a terrible nightmare you both will wake up from. Believe me...if I told you how many times I forgave Koren before we were married...."

"Really...little old harmless Doc...come on. What did he ever do?"

"Don't get me started," Elisabeth said, rolling her eyes. She took a sip of her tea. "I just know you and Grace will be fine."

"I hope you're right, Mrs. K."

"Mrs. K? Um - I like that," she said, stuffing her mouth with pie.

**************

Although the death of Eva and the flying rumors of blame had dealt a terrible blow to this once very quiet and close-knit town, things were about to seem a whole lot worse for the people of Sweet Springs.  It had devastated cattlemen long ago and nearly wiped out the beef market. By 1907, the problem was squashed - or so they thought.  For every now and then, it raised its ugly head.....

Nathan dropped everything and rushed over to the JP Ranch. When he arrived, Jim Pullman was panicking, pacing in front of his fenced-in cattle.

"What's wrong Jim...the message said life or death?"

"My cattle are barely eating; they're losing weight and not producing nearly as much milk as they did before."

"Alright, so they're under the weather. But why scare me with life or death? I didn't know what to think when I got your message."

"Don't you get it? It's only one thing that can make cattle act like that."

"I see where you're headed. Now - let's not jump the gun on this. Let me take a look." Nathan moved inside the fence and examined one of the underweight cows. "When did you notice they weren't eating?" he asked, examining the cow's eyes.

"A week or so."

He threw Jim a sharp stare. "And you're just now telling me about this?"

"I thought it was the feed. Shit.  I bought it cheaper off this peddler that was passing through.  Called myself saving pennies. I went back to feeding them the old stuff, but they still wouldn't eat. That's when I sent for you."

Nate looked inside the cow's mouth and nose and felt for the temperature of its ears. "Noticed any blood in their urine?" he asked, checking the cow's rectum.

"No."

He measured with his eyes how far the animal's tail stuck out from its body. An indication of irritation or pain in the perineal region. "Are their stools runny or solid in a pile?"

"It's soft, but still in a pile. Does that mean something, Doc?"

Nathan didn't answer, but carried a serious look on his face as he moved from cow to cow.  "After your cows gave birth, did you notice any deep red color or smelly discharge from the vagina?" he asked, checking for fresh or clotted blood near the opening.

"No redder or smelly than usual." 

Nate stood up and looked around. He noticed the cows weren't grooming, and none had reacted to his presence, especially when he touched them.

Pullman became agitated at Nathan's worrisome look and no response to his questions. "You find anything or not, Doc?"  he blurted.

Nathan didn't answer;  he noticed the elbows of the cow, and just to be certain, pressed against the rib cage and waited for its reaction. When he felt he'd seen enough, he walked out and closed the fence behind him. He strolled silently to the outside washroom to wash his hands.

Pullman shifted from foot to foot and cracked his face at Nathan's silence. "Well?" he snapped.

"Your cattle are suffering from Babesia Bigemina."

"Speak English, damn it!"

"They've got Tic Fever."

"I knew it. Goddamn it to hell, I'm ruined! My cattle, my ranch, my life...." Jim snatched his hat off and slammed it to the ground.

"Now wait a minute, Jim.  Hold on there. This is not the 1800s. We may have caught this thing in time. I'm going to shut you down for...."

"You mean I'm quarantined."

"Yes, quarantine. This may be the only ranch infected. So, don't say anything to anybody about this. I don't want a panic on my hands. Don't let any animals in or out of this place...not even your cat or your dog. Do you understand?"

"Of course I understand. What do you take me for...an idiot?"

Nathan  hurried off to Dr. Koren to set plans in motion before the news spread.

But in just hours, the news moved like a dust storm and panic broke out among neighboring ranchers. Nathan had to act fast. He and Dr. Koren summoned help from neighboring cattle doctors. Veterinarians from other nearby towns were paid by their own towns' ranchers to treat Sweet Springs' infected cattle so the disease wouldn't spread to their town. Every mayor from across Texas held his breath while the veterinarians worked tirelessly and meticulously, checking every inch of cattle on every ranch. No four-footed creature in their path was overlooked. The entire region was shut down. No farm animals were allowed in or out of the area until further notice.

Even wild animals were kept in check by men with rifles. Every aspect of the town's life revolved around the health of farm animals: the feed stores; the farm tools and supplies stores; the general food stores; Blacksmiths; hay and vegetable farmers; and business that had nothing to do with cattle farming, such as saloons, clothing shops and milliners, hotels, barber shops, banks, all thrived on the overstuffed purses of the wealthy cattle families.

The mayor held a town meeting to convince the people not to pack up and leave.

Bang! Bang! The mayor hit the table repeatedly with his walking stick.

"Now, settle down, folks," he said.

"We'll settle down when we get some answers!" shouted a man from the crowd.

The mayor waved the people to sit so he could finish. "Now there's been talk of you folks wanting to leave. I beg you to give the veterinarians a chance to get this thing under control."

"They've had plenty of time already," a man spoke up.

"Yeah!" members of the crowd yelled.

Jesse White stood and fumbled the brim of his hat. "And what if they can't stop this thing? I've got a wife and kids that's gotta eat. I can't lose my store."

"I understand, Jesse. I wouldn't ask this if I weren't sure. The vets have given me their word. I'm asking you all to have faith."

An hour went by - more shouts of anger persued the mayor as he addressed every concern. Finally, the crowd appeared to be satisfied as they filed out into the street. No talk of leaving town... for now.

But the mayor's job wasn't over. He pleaded with the local news editor not to print anything unless he (the mayor) was notified that the disease had spread. The top editor reluctantly agreed. But even the press couldn't keep the lid on such a story. The very survival of Sweet Springs was riding on the veterinarians to squash this outbreak before it destroyed the town and the entire Texas beef industry.

Days stretched into weeks; weeks stretched into months. Finally, the town blew a huge breath of relief that was felt throughout Texas. The disease was found only on one ranch and treatment was underway and ongoing.  The local news printed: 'VETS GIVE SWEET SPRINGS RANCHES CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH.' Texas beef was mostly preferred not only in the States, but also abroad; because of quick and decisive action, it would remain on the market.

"Hallelujah!" one Texas rancher was heard shouting.

Meanwhile - back at Pullman's place, the ranch hands had done a tremendous job of setting up multiple numbers of vats. Each vat was five feet deep. It was filled with a mixture of different kinds of solutions that would kill ticks but not harm the cattle. After the vats were filled, they dipped each animal into the solution. It was a long and daunting task.

Koren, who had witnessed worse infestations in his youth, said it was the mildest case he'd ever seen. It was speculated that sometime ago, when one of Pullman's cows ran off and wasn't found until the next day, that it may have grazed in tick infested grass (by wildlife) and brought it back to the herd.

Nathan returned to the JP Ranch week after week. The infestation soon disappeared, the quarantine lifted, and the cattle certified to be moved.

Pullman, eventually, went back to doing business; Nathan (no longer in hiding) went back to his medical practice.  Though Eva Mitchell was never forgotten, the nasty rumors over her cause of death stopped abruptly. All was forgiven the man who'd help save their way of life. And Sweet Springs went back to being Sweet Springs, USA.



Recognized


This is not a complete chapter, but a Fanstory chapter made for my readers. The spaces between the dialogue make it seem longer.

For those who are new to the story:

Main Characters:

Nathan Daniels....Main Character
Duchess Margaret...Nathan's heart breaker and lost love
Doctor Koren.......Nathan's Mentor
Elisabeth Koren....Doctor Koren's wife
Koren Twins .......Ella and Ellie

Eva Mitchell.......Deeply in love with Nathan
Grace Nevers.......Nathan's fiance

Koren's Servants:

Pete...........Negro Driver
Merald.............Head housekeeper
Jenny...............Maid and cook

Supporting Characters:
Sweet Springs Town folk

Art Work: Ranch Country by: trailblazer101
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.