Romance Fiction posted December 10, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Some twists and turns on the romance highway

Will Work for Love

by Deniz22

“You want me to what?”

“Listen, I’m your boss and I’m telling you I need you to go to the reception with me tonight.”

“Bill, I know you’re my boss but I’ve only been working here two days and you’ve asked me out a dozen times in those two days. I don’t even know you, really.”

“That makes us even. I don’t know you either. This one is strictly business. You’re young, attractive, look reasonably intelligent and my, no, OUR boss, Mr. Blokinns, will be impressed. His reception is a really big deal for him…for me…for all of us here at Woodridge Productions.”

“I feel like I’m the principal in some sort of horse meet; will he want to see my pedigree and my teeth?”

“Come on, Suzy…”

“Susan, with an ‘s’, thank you very much.”

“Okay, Susan with an s, will you go with me? I’ll pick you up at 7 tonight.”

“Suppose I have a boyfriend? What would he think?”

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

“No, not at the moment, but I think it inconsiderate of you not to think about him, if, in fact, I had him…one. Boyfriend, that is.”

“So I’m a clod for offending your imaginary friend…should be an interesting evening. Susan, I need you to take one for the team and subject yourself to an evening with me. What’s it going to be?”

“Are you ordering me to go out with you?  Careful, this could be borderline sexual harassment.”

“No. I am not ordering you to do anything. I’m begging you to help me make our little section of Woodridge Productions a favorable memory in old Blokinns memory banks, especially when he’s allotting this year’s operating funds in the annual budget.”

“Are you sure you have no other motive for this evening? It’s really ‘strictly business’?”

“Absolutely! I have no other motive than stated and absolutely no interest in you as a woman.”

“Well, that certainly makes me want to go out and buy a new outfit. You really know how to flatter a girl.”

“Oh, for crying out loud! Okay, you’re a knock-out and I’ve had my eye on you since you walked through that door. I’ve arranged this whole reception for the old man just to get the chance to be with you alone. I think I’m in love with you and I hope to look back on this night as the beginning of a life-long love affair, complete with a ring and half a dozen kids.”

“Okay, I’ll see you at seven. Here’s my address. Basic black with pearls suit your fancy?”

“That will do nicely, Susan. See you soon, I simply have to take this call.”

“Did she go for it, Boss?"

“Hi Sam. She sure did. Now all you have to do is meet us in the lobby and tell us that “Old Man Blokkins” is unable to attend so his reception has been canceled. You tried to reach us, but yada, yada, yada. Then you hand us the gift certificate to the new Italian restaurant across town as a consolation prize. Got it?”

“Got it, boss. But if I may, won’t she be mad when she finds out it’s a set up?”

“There are set ups and then there are set-ups. I fell in love with this girl the first time I saw her and I plan to marry her.  I’ll tell her after the wedding how I did it. Just one thing, don’t let on to her that I own Woodridge Productions.”

“I won’t Boss. I can’t help thinking this is one of your biggest productions yet!”

“Thanks, Sam. So long.”

“Bill.”

“Susan! You came back…”

“Yes. I can’t go to the reception with you tonight.”

“Why? I thought we had it all arranged.”

“No, YOU had it all arranged.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“I really like you, Bill. I don’t know where our relationship might take us but I do know that it can’t be founded on a lie.”

“A lie? What are you talking about? Who lied?”

“I did. I pretended that I didn’t know who Mr. Blokinns is.”

“Who is he? I mean he’s the boss, so what?”

“He’s more than that to me, Bill.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Brace yourself. I’m Mr. Blokinns mistress.”

“Ha-ha-ha-ha…when did you find me out?”

“Stop laughing, you big ninny, you’ve got me doing it now. No one can hide from the all-seeing eye of Google.  It wasn’t hard to find out who you are really. And confirm that Mr. Blokinns exists only in your imagination. ”  

“So can we put this all behind us and move on? Will you go out with me tomorrow night?”

“Is that an order, Boss?”

“Absolutely!”

“Well, since my employment by Old Man Bodkinns has come to an abrupt end, I think I better comply. I don’t want to lose this boss too.”

“I love you.”
 




 



Dialogue Only Prompt writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using only dialogue. No narration, descriptions, or sentence tags. Maximum word count: 1,000

Recognized


Another missed deadline for the contest. Oh well...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Deniz22 All rights reserved.
Deniz22 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.