General Non-Fiction posted September 20, 2013


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A True Story

Cursed.

by write hand blue

Cursed.

Ben, was a seventy-year-old man, who, had recently lost his wife of forty seven years.

My wife and I, took it upon ourselves to keep an eye on this intelligent man, a sufferer of chronic asthma.

Because he lived on his own, my wife called on him every morning for a cup of tea. Sometimes she would do little housework.

One morning we called and there was no answer to the door bell. Looking through the window we could see him lying on the floor.

The ambulance came and gave him oxygen. Later the hospital gave him a new inhaler, and he came home the same day. It had been close.

All went well for a few weeks, then one morning with no answer to the door bell again. Our minds raced away at what may have happened.

We could see nothing this time. After ringing the bell for a while, I banged on the windows as a last attempt before calling the police. Our worry at this stage can be imagined.

As I started to dial the emergency number, the front door burst open, and our supposed friend started to curse us for waking him up.

"You *******! I had to take a sleeping pill to get to sleep, and now you bang on my windows. Go away! Go away!"

He said more than that, as he waved us away and my wife was rightly offended.

We waited for him to apologize but he never did to the day he died.

That was the last time we visited him.

***



A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300


We though he may have been affected by the tablet. So we waited for his call that never came???
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. write hand blue All rights reserved.
write hand blue has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.